Running wires for backup camera - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2019, 11:07 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Running wires for backup camera

I just bought a new GMC 2500 SLT with the backup camera option. Had the dealer give me a camera as part of the deal. The instructions say not to run the wires under the trailer. My thought is to run them thru a pvc pipe then seal both ends. The only reason I can think why they said that is so protect the wire from road damage, rocks etc. If anyone has done this or has any constructive thoughts please let me know. Installing on a 2013 BF 25FB.

Thanks;
Steve
Igo96047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:29 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Registry
I have run wires for second trailers, back up cameras and many other things over the years and my suggestion is to run the wires in a safe place to avoid damage, but to use a extension cord for your wires. The wires are protected plus in a protective covering, as well as being flexible in cold weather. Solder all your connections and cover them with heat shrink tubing. Good luck with your project.
Steve
Steve Stresman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:49 AM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
I ran wires for a backup camera to our trailer through a loom for the rest of the trailer wiring. It goes from inside the back window to the front then exits the trailer with the rest of the wires into a loom. It connects to the truck wiring with an RCA plug. I power it with the running lights so I can use it like a rear view mirror while driving. It's also hooked up to a separate screen than the double din stereo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igo96047 View Post
I just bought a new GMC 2500 SLT with the backup camera option. Had the dealer give me a camera as part of the deal. The instructions say not to run the wires under the trailer. My thought is to run them thru a pvc pipe then seal both ends. The only reason I can think why they said that is so protect the wire from road damage, rocks etc. If anyone has done this or has any constructive thoughts please let me know. Installing on a 2013 BF 25FB.

Thanks;
Steve
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:16 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions I mounted the camera on the generator boxes I have mounted on the rear bumper then ran the line down the side of the frame and sheathed it in a piece of PVC where it was close to the tire.
Igo96047 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot