Rustoleum Topside thinning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2015, 01:01 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Hunter
New Mexico
Rustoleum Topside thinning

I'm prepping for paint and was hoping to hear from people that have painted with Rustoleum. I'll be rolling with foam roller and brush as needed. Going over existing gel coat with some patch repair work. Thinned? And if so what have you used, how much and how did you feel about the results?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Seldomseensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Depending on what kind of a job you want, you could check out $50 paint job, They are using rustoleum and doing about 6 coats with cutting and polishing.
$50 dollar

Your results may vary
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:07 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
FIRST... Be sure you get Rustoleum Topside Marine Paint. It's designed to go onto fiberglass AFTER application of Rustoleum Marine primer.

I have done two pop-up campers in the past year with those products using the roll & tip method with excellent results. Best price is on Amazon. One coat of primer and two coats of color usually does the job. No thinning is required or desired unless you are spraying.

For the very best paint over fiberglass I recommend and have used Interlux Briteside marine coating. It's a bit (?) more expensive but results in a sprayed-on look over fiberglass. I did my Hunter Compact with that with excellent results.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...90491159,d.cGU

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:03 PM   #4

New Mexico
My plan is no primer. Sand old gel coat and roll on. My expectations are fairly low. My camper is not a show piece. I just want it one color. I bought 4 quarts of rust topside. I won't thin it. Let you know how it goes.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:35 PM   #5

Without using primer you can almost guarantee that it will start peeling within a year of sun exposure.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:20 AM   #6

New Mexico
Bob, is it from experience that you say that? The manufacturer doesn't suggest using primer on previously painted surfaces. They suggest sanding with 150 grit sandpaper. At 7500' elevation in the desert the sun eats everything alive so nothing will surprise me. I'll park it in the garage and get 3 years out of it hopefully. By then I'll be rich and just buy whatever I want. hahahahahahaha.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:56 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldomseensmith View Post
My plan is no primer. Sand old gel coat and roll on.
I would never consider not using a primer before coating with a topside paint. I have not used Rustoleum, so maybe they have some special formulation, but all other more commonly used manufacturers, like Epiphanes and Interlux, both recommend it's use, especially if over patched areas, or bare fibreglass, areas. A good primer with any kind of paint, is mostly made of polymers that adhere fast to the surface it is put on, and allow the paint on top a great surface to bond to.

When doing all the prep work needed before painting, often much more effort than the painting itself, the little added effort and cost of a primer seems to make sense.

As far as thinning goes, use what is recommended by the manufacturer, if at all. I know with Interlux Brightside, they say you can use up to 10%. It can help the coating level a bit, but too much and you risk getting runs.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:48 AM   #8

I didn't bring a can of Rustoleum Marine Coating with me, and I am about 1500 miles from what I have, but I found this on the Rustoleum site:

"About Wood & Fiberglass Primer
Rust-Oleum® Marine Coatings Wood & Fiberglass Primer primes bare, lightly rusted and previously painted surfaces. Apply to wood or fiberglass surfaces above the waterline. Sands easily."

I've been painting since "Candy Apple Red" was invented and the most common causes of paint bonding failures (peeling)has always been a lack of proper preparation or failure to use the correct primer.

In as much FGRV's are "forever", I can't see intentionally doing something that's not going to have a long life span as well.

BTW: From Post #4, What is "Rust Topside"? That's not a listed color for Rustoleum Marine Coatings.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:11 AM   #9

New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
BTW: From Post #4, What is "Rust Topside"? That's not a listed color for Rustoleum Marine Coatings.
I just meant Rustoleum Topside. I'm going with the Sand Beige color.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:57 PM   #10

New Mexico
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1429318535.844950.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	82760
One coat in.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:03 PM   #11

New Mexico
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1429502468.805340.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	82895
I'm super excited about how the paint came out. I have a little more touch up to do but mainly complete. Two coats and loads of prep and there she sits.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:04 AM   #12

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
Looks good! How's the paint job one year later?
Uncle Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote