RV 7 pin to battery, possible? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2015, 09:56 PM   #1

Name: Cameron
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Ontario
Registry
Unhappy RV 7 pin to battery, possible?

We have a great 78 boler that has a 7 pin RV connector for towing.
I'd like to use a battery to light the 12 volt lights inside when we are dry camping this summer but I have been unable to find a way to attach a battery to the connector.
I don't really want to rewire the whole thing if possible.
I am hoping someone has done this or has some advice on how this might be possible
Thanks in advance!
slowNsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:34 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If you want to use an external battery for lights, just get a maching TV side receptacle and wire that to connect to the battery with a couple of cables, and plug your 7 pin cable into that for battery power. If you are using a group 24 battery there may be enough room in a group 27 battery box to build it into one wall. BUT you want to be sure that there is a fuse somewhere in that line.

I made up such a jumper to connect an external battery to my Compact at one time, I think it's in my wiring junque box waiting to get repurposed.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:34 PM   #3

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
Remember that you need to recharge the battery so it will need to be incorporated into the system so that it recharges as you drive , or from a shore line , or a solar panel .
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:13 AM   #4

Name: Cameron
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Ontario
Registry
Thanks for the advice folks. I am part way through rigging this all together but so far all is working great. On to the next project. Mounting the battery in a box on the tongue.
slowNsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:44 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Your 7 pin pigtail should have a WHITE wire for ground and
a BLACK wire for PLUS 12 volts. These two will usually be heavier, 10 ga, then lights that are usually 14 ga and brake that is usually12 ga.
The black wire should connect to your battery on the trailer and
the POSITIVE on your TV's battery and that lead should have a fuse and possibly a relay.
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery