RV First Aid Kit(s) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2020, 08:12 AM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdhanso View Post
Been thinking about all this good info on first aid kits. Wouldn't it make more sense to store your kit in your tow vehicle than your RV? Typically when you're at your RV you have your tow vehicle there as well. Having your kit in the car seems to cover more possible scenarios than in the RV.
Yes.. except one must consider the storage temperature. Many of the meds or other items can quickly be damaged by extreme temperatures.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 10:20 AM   #22

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Storage temp is a good point. I ruined at least 2 pair of eyeglasses with plastic lens by keeping a spare pair in a vehicle. The last time was about 2 years ago. I pulled them out from the center storage compartment and the eyeglasses were crazed to an extent that was impossible to use.

I then bought a pair of crown glass eyeglasses without coating and they have held up well in the truck in the summer in the SW.

I don't know how to store temperature sensitive things inside a hot vehicle.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:57 AM   #23

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
REI has a broad selection of first aid kits.
Mike J. L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 11:02 AM   #24

Trailer: Miti Lite 1987
First Aid in a tube

Don't forget SUPERGLUE. Stick them big lacerations closed faster than stitches. Stings like hell, but effective.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 11:44 AM   #25

Name: Linda
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Ontario
I keep all non-perishables in a roll-top dry-bag and take the perishables (meds, creams) in a separate zip-lock. I got tired of unpacking the whole kit to check expiry dates. Also, the perishables are the things we use at home, so get consumed in a more timely manner. I have rarely used my first aid kit. I do a lot of back-country travel (canoe trips) so my kit has things that would be needed there and not in civilization, such as a splint and skin stapler. The contents should probably be related to the riskyness of your activities.
I also took a first aid course for dogs. I'd sure feel like a Schmuck if my dog was choking and I didn't know how to do the Heimlich maneuver on her or how to properly bandage her tail. That course gave me the idea of the skin stapler.
Scamper Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:38 PM   #26

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Skin Stapler? Sweet mother of...It seems like a dubious way to close a cut but I suppose my wife's Bostich stapler could do the job. Never thought of it in quite that way. Please just tell me you are joking.

I have bought various First Aid kits in the past but frankly never used anything in them. Much prefer Skamper Linda's way of doing things, like her we just take what we use at home. So all medications are fairly fresh.

Superglue works for most people, but the little tubes dry out, and doesn't hold all that well on my skin, I don't know why. Try 3M Tissue Adhesive, 3ml Bottles. Expensive but reusable. Also New Skin. Sterile gauge pads and vaseline/petroleum jelly plus lots of Duct tape. Good quality duct tape, that is.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:55 PM   #27

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
My .02$

After a buddy nearly cut off a couple of fingers I started keeping a clotting sponge around. One in the shop & one in the TV.
Dennis McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 04:52 PM   #28

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Skin Stapler? Sweet mother of...It seems like a dubious way to close a cut but I suppose my wife's Bostich stapler could do the job. Never thought of it in quite that way. Please just tell me you are joking...

Actually, I’m happy to hear that I’m not the only one with a medical stapler. When our vet heard that our hounds would be doing hunt trials, he taught me how to use one. Stitches when you’re away from home typically happen on the weekend. That means an emergency vet. $300 to open a file and examine the pet and then $50 - $100 per suture.

And if you’re wondering... Yes we have used it.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:04 PM   #29

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Buy tools that match your skill set

Like the firefighter/EMT who first responded to this thread I build my own first aid kits to include items that match my EMT/Disaster response training. I have things like wound packing and a field tournequit with my stuff, things that are not difficult to use if you know how, but not much use if you don't.

The point is, get things you know how to use when an emergency or illness strike. Most ready-made first aid kits are great if all you have is basic first aid skills but, if you go out hiking on trails, backroad biking, or other places where serious injuries can occur, you may want to take an advanced first aid class and learn how to stabilize more major traumas.

Because the most important thing to have in your first aid kit is the training and knowledge that helps you respond safely and effectively. Me, personally, I would work on that first, then make choices on what to keep on-hand in your trailer as well as what to bring with you when you venture away from your home base.

That said, don't forget to keep more basic supplies in your trailer, things like a thermometer, ice, pain & fever relief and tools you may need for your personal health concerns, like a BP cuff if you have hyper/hypotension or fingertip pulse/oximeter if you have a history of respiratory concerns //if you know how to use and understand them//.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:40 PM   #30

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterh View Post
... or fingertip pulse/oximeter if you have a history of respiratory concerns //if you know how to use and understand them//.
OR if there is a respiratory pandemic... I recently saw a doctor report that he was seeing a lot of people who were presenting with little or no symptoms of COVID19 yet had dangerously low blood oxygen levels because they had the virus. He suggested that an Oximeter should be added to your kit just like a thermometer is. That made me happy that I bought one of these a few years ago when you could actually find them (for about $35 US). I dont think you need a lot a training to know what percentage is a concern, but you can now tele-medicine online and give the doctor your blood oxygen levels (multiple samples) for his or her evaluation. For me... 99%.. I'll take it!

(BTW, one piece of training.. nail polish can really throw off the readings.)
Attached Thumbnails
PulseOximeter.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 02:51 PM   #31

Name: Richard
Trailer: Scamp 13
Georgia
If one is on blood thinners, as I am (Eliquis, Plavix, aspirin,etc.), having some of the "stop bleed powders" (Google or web search the term) in your kit is not a bad idea.

"Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes." Andy Rooney
rjg433 is offline   Reply With Quote