RV First Aid Kit(s) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2020, 12:27 PM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita - 2019 SD17
Idaho
RV First Aid Kit(s)

I need to purchase a first aid kit or kits to carry in my FGRV. I went on Amazon and there are a dozen or more kits of various kinds.

I am kind of a middle of the road person. Meaning that I don't want to go cheap as you get what you pay for. But on the other hand, I don't feel that I need a Rolls Royce of first aid kits either.

I am open to suggestions/recommendations for what experience RV'ers have found adequate for the job. Are there any specific first aid kits that you would highly recommend or maybe none at all? Make your own? Contents?

Thank you in advance for your input, suggestions, comments, etc.
Bob Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 05:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
As a retired career firefighter and an EMT for about 20 years, I made my own kit. It has real world stuff that you need like a blood pressure cuff, stethoscope, CPR facemask with one-way flow valve, set of sized airways, bandages, bandaids, elastic wraps, alcohol, peroxide, saline solution, wound dressings, tape, etc. Not any of the usual stuff that you find in most "store bought" kits that they sell for way too much by just making you think you're getting all kinds of great stuff. And 90% of most kits are full of stuff you'll never need or use. Just sayin.
Attached Thumbnails
newlocker.jpg  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:15 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
We made up our own kit. One of the more common things we have dealt with is bee, hornet, and wasp stings. So we have some sting kill swabs in the kit. We have an epi pen in there too along with benedryl I think the contents vary between people. We have a pretty good sized kit. We take it in and out between the camper and the house. It’s on the checklist and sets on the floor in front of the second seat in the Highlander. So if we go on a day excursion it isn’t back at the camper if we need it. In addition I have a kit in a metal box in my go bag that stays in the Highlander. It’s one of those “good for so many people”. Can’t remember the number. One thing that is important is a periodic, annual at the least, review of the contents to replace expired components. When I had oversight for 5 outdoor and 1 indoor municipal pools, I had my storekeeper make up 12 identical kits. Each week we would pick up the kit at the pool and replace it with one that had a complete inventory of the components needed. Then my storekeeper would restock the depleted kit for the next week. Used to buy 5,000 band aids to start the season for pools, playgrounds, little league program etc.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:15 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Yea me too.. make your own. You might not need, want, or even know how to use the same stuff that Greg has (i.e. airways) but you can stock it with what is appropriate for you and your level of training. For some people with a heart condition (or a partner with one), an automated external defibrillator (AED) might be a good idea. For others, an EpiPen. Appropriate for me also means a kit for the dog, but many of the things are the same (like Benadryl). My biggest problem is keeping up with expiration dates. Heck some stuff is way past the date even now. And also I guess I should add some masks to the kit.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:38 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
My biggest problem is keeping up with expiration dates. Heck some stuff is way past the date even now. And also I guess I should add some masks to the kit.

I read ( too long ago ) that the expiration dates are determined by the specifications by the US military.
So, that Benedryl has to to be 98% effective up to the expiration. If you are willing to accept 80% effective, it could last a lot longer. Sort of like the $1,000 military toilet seat.
Old 04-19-2020, 04:53 AM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Definitely add cortisone cream to your first aid supplies. You can get into some of the plants that irritate your skin. Plus it helps take the itch and pain out of mosquito bites and flea and ant bites. Soothes heat rash as well which is something that can happen on summer time trips.

A jar of vaseline is another great item that helps with more than one type of issue. Such as rub it on your feet to help prevent blisters when hiking.

For sure good quality splinter removing tweezers. A lot of times the ones in kits are very much sub par, plus a small magnifying glass. Splinter and thorns are pretty common to get when collecting fire wood or just tromping around in brush and forest or in the desert near cactus. It is probably my #2 first aid injury I have to do when camping other.

Absolutely a medical thermometer and if it is battery operated make sure you have fresh batteries for it. That little device is very important for situations such as heat exhaustion that can turn into heat stroke. Especially if you have children along, they can overdo it on camping trips. Plus seniors can be more susceptible as well.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 06:18 AM   #7

North Carolina
Tick self-exam and removal.
and this (works well):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000CCW17
Old 04-19-2020, 09:13 AM   #8

Idaho
Thank you ALL!

Great input! I will make up a list based on all suggestions.

I do not personally know how to insert an airway, however there may be someone else who is qualified available. It never hurts to be prepared. However in an extreme emergency, I have no qualms about inserting one. I have watched enough videos where I know the basics and with great care and not forcing one, I believe that inserting one without qualification is better than the person dying. I have had basic first aid training, though many years ago.

Obtaining face masks right now is a challenge, but when things settle down and they are again available to the general public, then I would definitely add a few to the kit.

I thank everyone for their excellent suggestions.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:17 AM   #9

Name: Pete
Trailer: U-Haul 1986 -- got it 7/2013
Virginia
Registry
First aid components

A few points...

I'm with Greg on "build your own". I also feel that you should check the freshness of things like bandages; the adhesive may become less sticky with time.

On that, expiration dates are a "worst-case" scenario, and can usually be exceeded by a considerable margin. Prescription meds, you should check with your doc; I'd bet they too can be used well after the "sell-by" date.

Don't forget some "stick-to-itself" elastic bandages - they can be used for more than just sprains/strains.

An odd but useful point: I discovered a while back that vaginal itch-cream contains about twice the amount of anaesthetic (usu. lidocaine) that you can get in the usual "skin" itch-creams. Might be useful for poison ivy or other itchinesses.
Pete Hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:44 AM   #10

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Along with having a first aid kit, everyone here should look into the program "Stop the Bleed" It is run by your local "Medical Reserve Corps". It is a national program to teach the proper and revised method of the new "Hands on only CPR" and also as the name suggest "How to stop the bleed".

I had the Corps come to my club I am in to teach the program to a group of us. It is free and they were grateful for the donation we were able to give them to help them continue with their program. The idea behind the Corps is to get as many people as possible trained in how to react when faced with a life threatening situation.

I have seen the program offered at local Fire Stations, so it is something you can do on your own as well. I highly recommend the program as it may just save you, your loved one or a complete stranger's life some day.
Check it out.
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:47 AM   #11

Name: Derek
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Me too. Me too. I didn't want to buy equipment I wasn't comfortable with using. I have a small paper back

first Aid how-to book in the kit too. I have taken First Aid training over the years - usually workplace related. It's a good way to build up your self confidence!
Someone complained about expiry dates - makes me crazy too but I'm told that if it's just a bit past the date it won't be toxic.
If you've got a patient (pardon the pun!) G.P. maybe ask them for help or take a box of donuts down to your nearest Fire Hall or Ambulance Station and see what they recommend.

Maybe do this latter stuff after Covid-19 has left town!
burrorojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 11:14 AM   #12

Name: Susan
Trailer: Scamp
New Mexico
An elastic bandage for sprains is also very useful.
Poodlesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 12:27 PM   #13

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
We take Anbesol, Hydrocortisone, Polysporin, equate triple antibiotic ointment, sunscreen 50, hemorrhoid cream/ointment, Witch hazel, Alcohol 91%, Ibuprofen, Tylenol, aspirin and baby aspirin, antihistamine, Benadryl cream and tablets, pesto bismol, antacid, tums, allergy sinus pills, lip balm/chap stick, epson salts, bleach, medical soap (the stuff that foams but is sort of reddish in color-butadiene, cepacol, poison ivy cream, cough drops), iodine, vitamins, various bandaids and gauze pads and medical tape, quality Duct tape, safety pins, sewing kit for larger cuts (never used), high quality tweezers, eye wash, eye drops, small but good quality scissors, thermometer, Oximeter, moleskin, hot water bottle, cold compress/ice thingie (technical term), electric heating pad, Glow stick and First Aid book, even though I have seldom if ever used it. Rubber gloves and now face masks.

If I remember I will get one of those tube things for giving mouth to mouth.

Allergies and insect bites mostly. Cuts and abrasion related items are mostly for me.

Toilet seat covers, tissues and hand wipes.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:23 PM   #14

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Henry,

Mouth to mouth is no longer the recommended procedure, that why it called "Hands on Only CPR". If you like me took the course way back when, you need to get updated. The "Stop the Bleed" course will include the new CPR.
Jack
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 03:02 PM   #15

Name: Mike & Cathy
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Hein View Post
A few points...

I'm with Greg on "build your own". I also feel that you should check the freshness of things like bandages; the adhesive may become less sticky with time.

On that, expiration dates are a "worst-case" scenario, and can usually be exceeded by a considerable margin. Prescription meds, you should check with your doc; I'd bet they too can be used well after the "sell-by" date.

Don't forget some "stick-to-itself" elastic bandages - they can be used for more than just sprains/strains.

An odd but useful point: I discovered a while back that vaginal itch-cream contains about twice the amount of anaesthetic (usu. lidocaine) that you can get in the usual "skin" itch-creams. Might be useful for poison ivy or other itchinesses.
An EMT that taught one of my First Aid classes in the past recommended having sanitary napkins in one's kit for use as a dressing for large wounds.

I try to store as many items as possible in zip lock bags to help keep items fresher. The bags can be repurposed for other things like making ice packs. I also include some of those tiny pill pouch bags to retain items like removed ticks for later reference.

One of those foldup "space blankets" can be useful as a tarp for providing a clean work area or for treating/preventing hypothermia.

It's not as critical now as in the past, but I always liked to have a small amount of change in order to make a call at a pay phone.
IMJ in FLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 03:18 PM   #16

Idaho
Thank you Mike for your service. Fast attack or boomers?

How do you handle all of the extra space in your FGRV?
Old 04-19-2020, 03:23 PM   #17

North Carolina
Some of the replies let me to this conclusion...

The most important part of your first aid kit is YOU.

Training is at least as valuable as the things in the your kit.
Old 04-19-2020, 03:47 PM   #18

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Thanks for the heads up Jack. I will see what training is available in my area.
Old 04-19-2020, 05:47 PM   #19

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Thanks for the heads up Jack. I will see what training is available in my area.
I checked my area and there are numerous organizations that provide the training. However, until the current crisis is over, I seriously doubt any of them will have the resources, time or energy to conduct the training.

While it is not the same as first hand training, I thought I would see if there are any YouTube videos that at least familiarize one with the key elements of the "Stop the bleed" and/or "Hands on Only CPR". Some education is better than none in my opinion. Then when the course is available, the training should go even more smoothly.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:55 AM   #20

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
Been thinking about all this good info on first aid kits. Wouldn't it make more sense to store your kit in your tow vehicle than your RV? Typically when you're at your RV you have your tow vehicle there as well. Having your kit in the car seems to cover more possible scenarios than in the RV.