RV parking for cruise out of Galveston - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
RV parking for cruise out of Galveston

Hi all! A non-RV group I belong to will hold it's Annual Meeting this September on a Carnival cruise that sails out of Galveston, TX. I'll be on the road before and after said cruise with my rig. Right now, I'm driving a 2010 Sprinter van (long wheelbase + high roof) towing a 17' Casita travel trailer. Total dimensions about 44' long, 11' high, 8' wide. Port parking states their spaces are 8.5' x 18'. Even a double space would not be sufficient. Does anyone here have experience parking an RV in the Galveston region while off on a cruise? If not that, how about recommendations about RV parks in / near Galveston where I could pay to park and be allowed to leave? 30 amp electric would be good but not mandatory. TIA!
John
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: Compact Jr.
Texas
John,

An option is to stay one night in a hotel that offers parking for cruise passenger. There are several in Galveston, one that I have personally stayed in and left our vehicle at is Gaido's Seaside Inn which has a parking lot large enough for your rig. FYI cruise parking near the cruise port can be quite expensive.

Try this http://www.galveston.com/cruiseparking/ for additional parking options. The cruise port offers some oversized options.
Tim 972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 21
Texas
Cruise Parking

I used to live on the island and I would notice that RVs would park in the "cruise" lots directly across from the docks. Since you have the Casita with you that may be your best option. There are a few RV parks there or just before you get to Galveston and that could also be a good option if you need to plug it in. If you use one of the cruise lots I would suggest that you go to one nearest the docks as I think those may be a little more secure. Just pay attention to the hurricane forecast before you decide where to park. Flooding can (and) does happen in that area by the port.

Enjoy your cruise, be glad to help further if I can.

Steve
Steve Nussenblatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #4

Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Thanks Tim and Steve! Fortunately I have some time to find a good solution. I know the people have have a wide range of experience and, are generous about sharing it. That's why I've posted. I agree that parking at the "official lot" will be expensive. My initial thoughts hadn't run to include hurricanes. I'm glad Steve brought it up. There are probably other factors I've yet to think of but could be important. I won't be surprised when other forum members chime in. Again, thanks!
Old 01-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Do check with campgrounds/rv parks. When we owned the rv park. We allowed people to park for $5 a day hooked up to 20amp elec. They could keep the fridge going. Many wanted to park in a 50 amp site for that price so they could keep their air going..... (tight wads) But because our 30 or 50 amp sites were always busy we didn't let that happen.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #6

RV parking for cruise out of Galveston

Thank you Robin G! What park did you own and, how long ago was that? Do you know if the current owners continued that policy? A 20 amp circuit would be fine as the fridge would be the only thing to run while I'd be away. I'm sure I could arrange a ride to / from the dock. Its only a five day cruise so, I can travel light; one bag + backpack would have me covered. Again, thank you!
Old 01-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
Thank you Robin G! What park did you own and, how long ago was that? Do you know if the current owners continued that policy? A 20 amp circuit would be fine as the fridge would be the only thing to run while I'd be away. I'm sure I could arrange a ride to / from the dock. Its only a five day cruise so, I can travel light; one bag + backpack would have me covered. Again, thank you!

Sorry John, I didn't mean to imply we owned in FL..... We were in Montana! Lot's of people did week long float trips, back country trips, hunting trips, as well as many preferred to leave their coaches and drive their car's into Canada rather than taking their MH's. I am pretty sure that reasoning was cause their rv's where full of guns. We were also know for keeping guns for guest while they went to Canada. Can't believe people didn't check before traveling across the country! But many didn't!. Anyway, I would check with parks in the area of the port. You might find they will do it for you. Good luck!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote