RV toilets - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2020, 10:22 AM   #1

Name: Vic
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
RV toilets

I'm about to buy a toilet for my Trillium 4500 so that I can hit the road as soon as possible. Can someone tell me how the cheap toilets work please- in the $100-$200 price range. Do they flush? Is there a water tank? And then, is the waste held in a bag or just in the bottom section? Do you have to scrape everything out. I guess it would be like a slurry so it would spill out. Where do you dispose of it? In another toilet connected to a sewer system? Is there stuff you can buy that decomposes it and helps with the odors? I know that's a lot of questions, if you know of a web site that answers them, please direct me there. Thank you, kind people.
Vic Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 01:40 PM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I assume you mean a completely self-contained portapotti type? They flush with water from an upper tank though you can minimize dumping by using a spray bottle to rinse the bowl instead of flushing (you pull a lever and stuff drains down but you can rinse to make sure it all goes) In most the black tank is the lower tank, no external bag, and you put some enzymes or chemicals in there to break down waste, and eventually pour it out into a toilet and flush away. (The longer you leave it the more liquid it gets.) In some there is a liner bag with absorbent stuff that you can tie up and throw away; those tend to be more expensive to use. People tend to think "ick" but it really isn't a big deal to use one.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 02:58 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
You might take a look at some of the composting toilets. The C-head looks quite simple but a bit pricey.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:18 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:22 PM   #5

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
We have to be very frugal with water so we don't fill the flush tank. We put in a bit of chemical and swish down the bowl with water from a squirt style detergent bottle. Never had any problems.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote