safe boon docking heater - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-20-2018, 03:21 PM   #41

Name: Steve
Trailer: Currently Shopping
NW Wisconsin
I have several friends who ended up in the hospital from monoxide poisoning
They were running a Mr Buddy heater in their fish house, fell asleep and almost didn’t wake up . You can tell me for the next 100 years that there is NO problem with running a unvented propane heater indoors and I will refuse to believe you
I’d rather sleep using a good sleeping bag and wake up in the morning !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:09 PM   #42

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarpilot View Post
What about one of these?

should be safer than propane.
According to Wikipedia "Based on measurements of a taper-type, paraffin wax candle, a modern candle typically burns at a steady rate of about 0.1 g/min, releasing heat at roughly 80 W." ... If a candle produces 100 BTU, and you need 20 BTU/sq ft to heat a room, then 1 candle would heat a 5 sq ft room.

But what is not being factored into that statement is the heat loss in a poorly insulated FGRV in temperatures below freezing. You won't stay warm in an FGRV in those conditions with a flower pot and candle. But you could wrap your hands around it to get them a little warmer. Or set your coffee cup on top in the hopes of keeping it from getting too cold before you drink it all up.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:18 PM   #43

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
What great anecdotes!

We like camp a lot at altitudes of about 10k feet in our Casita. We use the furnace going to bed and when we first get up. We have a Buddy heater for back up, but have yet to use it, except to test it now and again. I agree with Steve. I would only use it to get undressed and into bed then turn it off. And again when getting up. Works well.

We sleep in down bags. As an old back packer, it is more efficient to put any additional clothes and blankets on INSIDE the sleeping bag, not over it. When a blanket is put on top it compresses the down, and reduces its ability to keep you warm.

Keep in mind that if you use a sleeping bag as we do, liquids freeze in the trailer, particularly the plumbed water lines, and water bottles. When we camp in really cold weather our trailer is winterized. So our biggest problem is keeping water from freezing. And condensation from our breath freezing on the windows, so we do keep a window and the roof vent cracked.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:39 PM   #44

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I did my share of winter camping in tents in my younger days. Getting dressed inside a sleeping bag requires contortions I am no longer capable of performing.

We have a built in RV furnace. We can reach over and turn it on without leaving our bed, and then wait for the trailer to warm up before getting out of bed and dressing in toasty comfort.

There's no going back for me!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:46 PM   #45

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcadmus View Post
This is somewhat off topic but I thouht it might show some of the effects possible with the heater. Some years ago I arrived at my home airport to find my VW Camper coated in about a 1/2 inch of ice. After scraping a peephole in the front and chisseling my way in the back hatch I made it home OK. There was NO traffic. All power in the area was out. While the fireplace was keeping the house livable I decided to use my Cat heater to thaw the ice off the camper. Fired it up and stuck it inside. next morning while some of the ice had been melted off the windows outside - I now had the 1/2 inch of ice coating the inside of the camper - not whay I had intended.
PERFECT illustration of my only real complaint about radiant propane heat- the water vapor given off is a real annoyance, especially in units with smooth surfaces for it to condense on. Almost a gallon of water's produced by every gallon of propane burned and all that water has to go some place. I've struggled with that side effect for years and have yet to find a satisfactory way to manage it. So I just put up with it lol since I like the heat, economy, convenience and especially the quiet of the heater.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:32 AM   #46

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Wink Heat?

Camped as an Asst Scoutmaster in all kinds of weather in tents for 10 yrs. Never had a heater.. We wd toss a couple of those disposable "hand warmers" into the foot end of our down sleeping bags abouit 30 min b4 going to sleep. Slip on some wool sox. Worked for us.

Our trailer camping is new to us and having a fur-lined fiberglass egg around me on cold nites is like the Taj Mahal compared to "tenting".

WE occasionally use the propane furnace in the Casita and sometimes the heat strip in the roof AC, but those are LOUD at nite. I still prefer a good down bag and long johns even today. ;-)
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:16 PM   #47

Name: Steve and Rosemary
Trailer: Bigfoot
Utah
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
A fan makes a real difference in my experience too. I use one atop my catalytic heater that derives its electricity from the heat put off by the unit itself AND is totally silent when operating (the noise put off by typical RV furnace fans and even electric heaters bothers me, I boondock for the quiet surroundings as much as for any other reason). And no drain on the battery pack, what could be better?
Francesca, a fan is a great idea! Out of curiosity, what is your setup? Do you have a Wave? What size? Do you know the name of the fan that you use? Thanks!

FWIW, we had a small Wave in our Scamp 16 and used it for years overnight. I made sure all windows and the roof vent were cracked. No problems, as far as we know. I realize a lot of people don't like the idea of running them through the night and their reasons are VERY valid.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:42 PM   #48

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Rosemary View Post
Francesca, a fan is a great idea! Out of curiosity, what is your setup? Do you have a Wave? What size? Do you know the name of the fan that you use? Thanks!
Here's a link to an old post of mine with pics and a description http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post247447
The fan's an Ecofan they're still out there. The heater shown there did give up the ghost later on, I'm using a small Wave now and the setup is slightly different but it works the same way
Old 10-22-2018, 05:31 PM   #49

Name: Steve and Rosemary
Trailer: Bigfoot
Utah
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Here's a link to an old post of mine with pics and a description http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post247447
The fan's an Ecofan they're still out there. The heater shown there did give up the ghost later on, I'm using a small Wave now and the setup is slightly different but it works the same way
Yes! I'm familiar with Ecofans but I've never seen one that doesn't sit on a stove and "clips" to a heater instead. Was the attachment a DIY?
Old 10-23-2018, 10:17 AM   #50

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Rosemary View Post
Yes! I'm familiar with Ecofans but I've never seen one that doesn't sit on a stove and "clips" to a heater instead. Was the attachment a DIY?

lol sure was, it's a door hinge cobbled onto the fan base. Dual purpose, it not only keeps the fan from rolling around on the floor when in motion but allows for the built in tip function to work if necessary. (Tip function being a metallic strip that bends/tips the fan forward to allow it to cool if the base gets hot enough to damage the unit.) That's more of a hazard if used on a steel wood stove, which is what the fan is actually designed for. I've never had it happen in this application.