safe boon docking heater - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2018, 02:27 PM   #21

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Radiant propane heaters like the Buddies all have a low oxygen shutoff sensor, risk of running out of room air is not a concern. True catalytics don't have that switch but also function more efficiently . I've used a catalytic in my Trillium for years and love it except for the ongoing problem of condensation of the moisture that's the main product of propane combustion. That problem occurs with the Buddy too and it's really annoying.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:12 PM   #22

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Radiant propane heaters like the Buddies all have a low oxygen shutoff sensor, risk of running out of room air is not a concern. ...
But the Waves do not have an oxygen sensor and there is a risk of hypoxia is you don't provide a fresh air source. That is why I only will use my Wave 3 when awake.

BTW, the Wave catalytic heaters are very efficient with propane and need no electric at all, so they are a good emergency heater They will work with no shore power and a dead house battery, and also run a long time on little propane. But the other considerations mentioned above make them less than ideal for daily use. Those "cons" include the problems that occur with pad contamination, the radiant style of heat, its slow to warm a space, the need for ventilation, water vapor release, etc.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:36 PM   #23

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
It should be noted that even catalytic heaters will make carbon monoxide gas, when the ambient O2 concentration falls too far. Please keep a window cracked.

For boondocking, an old gravity furnace can't be beat. No electrical power consumption at all. They are no longer approved due to high surface temperatures. If combustibles come in contact with the hot spots, then there could be a fire.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:50 PM   #24

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
It should be noted that even catalytic heaters will make carbon monoxide gas, when the ambient O2 concentration falls too far. Please keep a window cracked.....
Good point but "A" window cracked is not enough. You need moving air. In the case of the Wave heaters, the instructions are very clear about the way to provide ventilation and how much to open windows and/or vents. Those instructions should be followed carefully.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:14 PM   #25

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Agree with Stude if you have a furnace... I can run everything I need running my 100W solar panel during daylight hours. Furnace on propane does use some power as does the fridge on propane but with LED lights I can go indefinitely with my 2 group 31 batteries and the panel that will pick up enough solar energy even on cloudy days to go on for ever in my 1300 Boler or my 16ft Casita.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:58 PM   #26

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
One other thing about the Lil Buddy heater that hasn’t been addressed, is that the low O2 sensor will not allow the unit to run over 7,000 ft altitude. We camp most summers in Silverton or Leadville Colorado, which are closer to 10,000 ft.
We do the warm sleeping bag with a wool blanket over it. I do not like to open windows or vents when it is soooo cold outside (usually 32-34 degrees) but upon wakening in the morning, our stove will not light to make coffee unless I open the door and a window for a few minutes to replenish the O2 we used up breathing overnight.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:28 PM   #27

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
I have a medium sized Little Buddy heater for my 17 foot Casita. It puts out a lot of heat. I do not sleep with it on. I do not like it, because I can't figure out a good place for it, but I do use it to warm up the trailer, with window open a bit and roof vent open. I have found that it heats up the trailer faster and more evenly if I run a battery powered fan in the trailer.

There are 12 volt heated blankets and mattress pads to be had. I also have learned to put an insulated pad under the dog bed. They can get chilly too.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:09 PM   #28

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpat View Post
I have found that it heats up the trailer faster and more evenly if I run a battery powered fan in the trailer.
A fan makes a real difference in my experience too. I use one atop my catalytic heater that derives its electricity from the heat put off by the unit itself AND is totally silent when operating (the noise put off by typical RV furnace fans and even electric heaters bothers me, I boondock for the quiet surroundings as much as for any other reason). And no drain on the battery pack, what could be better?
Old 10-15-2018, 10:24 PM   #29

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Propex heater. You love it and you don't have to crack the window.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:37 AM   #30

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markz View Post
Propex heater. You love it and you don't have to crack the window.
OP was asking about a small portable heater (Mr Buddy). The various Propex models are permanently installed furnaces. Good ones to be sure, but its no small project to install one. It would make a better long-term solution for long-term cold weather camping, but so would most any installed vented furnace be better than a Mr. Buddy or even a Wave (IMHO).
Old 10-17-2018, 08:47 PM   #31

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
In those temperatures it is not going to keep you warm enough in the size of trailer you have. It has very limited BTU output. You will be wasting your money on that purchase.

I have a Buddy heater. On a recent trip to Colorado we spent one night at 29 degrees. The heater did a good job keeping our trailer warm on the low setting with two windows cracked. It worked very well in low humidity. The electric heater was drying us out. We used it in Alabama after a rain storm and it created a lot of condensation.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:25 AM   #32

Trailer: 1973 Boler 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ47 View Post
Hello all,
We are planning to camp in some rather cold (30 degrees or less at night) weather. We have a small electric space heater but with no electricity available wondered about the small propane heater little buddy by Mr Heater? It uses a 1Lb small propane canister and on low will heat for about 5+ hours. It is labeled indoor safe. Of course we have a carbon monoxide detector, but I am still a bit worried about using this heater. Anyone have experiences with this type of heater good or bad? Thanks,
PJ
Had one but sold it because it has an oxygen sensor that turns the heater off at higher altitudes. We often camp in the CO mountains which made it useless for fending off cold.
Tony O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:41 AM   #33

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony O View Post
Had one but sold it because it has an oxygen sensor that turns the heater off at higher altitudes. We often camp in the CO mountains which made it useless for fending off cold.
We have one ,still do , only use it outdoors in our deer stand which has 3 ft high walls and no roof . Reasons , safety and to warm my feet .
Ventilation is the key when running a Mr Buddy heater in my book .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:20 AM   #34

Name: Bert
Trailer: Boler
Nunavut
Heater without electricity

What about one of these?

should be safer than propane.
Polarpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:31 AM   #35

Name: Aldrene
Trailer: Big Foot
California
You cannot use a Buddy propane heater inside a trailer too long because it has a carbon monoxide detector built in that will shut off the heater after it has used up most of the oxygen inside of the trailer. You will have to vent your trailer with cold fresh air to restart your Buddy propane heater. There really is no safe way to heat your trailer at night while dry camping without electricity.

Ron
Aldrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:18 PM   #36

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrene View Post
There really is no safe way to heat your trailer at night while dry camping without electricity.

Ron
This is simply not true, I've been doing it for years as have many other people including some others posting here. Anyone equipped with basic common sense and the ability to follow directions per air supply can use these heaters safely, even when sleeping.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:26 PM   #37

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrene View Post
You cannot use a Buddy propane heater inside a trailer too long because it has a carbon monoxide detector built in that will shut off the heater after it has used up most of the oxygen inside of the trailer. You will have to vent your trailer with cold fresh air to restart your Buddy propane heater. There really is no safe way to heat your trailer at night while dry camping without electricity.

Ron
This makes it sound like you have run it without the ventilation that is required and explained in the manual. If thats the case, you are lucky is has an oxygen depletion sensor (but not CO), unlike the Waves.

Safe is a relative term and these heaters can be used relatively safely if one follows the directions. People do it all the time. People also fail to properly use non-vented heaters all the time and some suffer the consequences.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:27 PM   #38

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Catalytic Heater Works Well

I have used the 10,000 BTU version of thes heater with great success in sub freezind temperatures. The drawbacks are minor. First, you have to change the cylinder halfway through the night. Second, you do need to vevtilate bot leaning th roof vent open and cracking a widow is sufficient. Third, you have to be careful that nothing (and no one) gets too close because of the possibility of fire. I have a furnace with a 12volt blower so I only use the catalitc heater as a backup (like when my batter us low.) It sorks very well.
TimothyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 01:02 PM   #39

Name: Ray
Trailer: Scamp 13
Missouri
Catalitic Heater

This is somewhat off topic but I thouht it might show some of the effects possible with the heater. Some years ago I arrived at my home airport to find my VW Camper coated in about a 1/2 inch of ice. After scraping a peephole in the front and chisseling my way in the back hatch I made it home OK. There was NO traffic. All power in the area was out. While the fireplace was keeping the house livable I decided to use my Cat heater to thaw the ice off the camper. Fired it up and stuck it inside. next morning while some of the ice had been melted off the windows outside - I now had the 1/2 inch of ice coating the inside of the camper - not whay I had intended.
rcadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 01:16 PM   #40

Name: John
Trailer: Arctic Fox
Oregon
We have a 25' trailer and like to fly fish in the Rockies in the early Fall. We are usually off the grid and do not ask the solar/battery system to provide the elec. for the heater fan of the central gas heater. We sleep with no heat under lots of blankets and one of us will "volunteer" to get up and fire up the Mr. Buddy Heater and jump back in bed. In 15 min. it is warming up. Never had a problem. Keeps us comfortable in some back woods fishing areas.
John MacDiarmid is offline   Reply With Quote