Safe T Alert Propane and Methane Gas Detector - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2016, 07:58 PM   #1

Name: Barbara
Trailer: CASITA
Maryland
Safe T Alert Propane and Methane Gas Detector

I recently purchased a 2006 Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe. Every time I plug into electric and let the battery charge overnight the Gas Detector goes into alarm mode. It continues to alarm until I open windows and the door. Within less than a minute the alarm stops and light changes from red to green. I did detect a faint sulfur smell but only briefly. I am having the battery checked and hoping I just need a new one. I appreciate any and all suggestions. I am new to troubleshooting. My husband always took care of that and I took care of cooking and cleaning. Love to Camp
Love Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:14 PM   #2

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Don't know if the propane detector Casita installs will also detect hydrogen (which batteries give off—there are some detectors that do), but you're wise to get the battery out and checked. If it's hot after disconnecting shore power and after opening the battery compartment and waiting a few minutes, it needs replacing.

I'd also replace the propane detector, as it's 10 years old. Don't know how long they're good for, but 10 years is plenty.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:01 PM   #3

Maryland

Thanks for the suggestions. I also feel for safety reasons, it's important to be proactive and replace items that could mean life or the other....I am really looking forward to get out there with the little camper. Loving Camping
Old 07-13-2016, 09:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Propane ?

Does the camper have propane?
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:30 AM   #5

Maryland

Darwin, yes it has two propane tanks. Do you think it may have a small leak?
Old 07-13-2016, 10:44 AM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Even if the battery is defective then how and why are the fumes from the battery getting into the cabin interior? That should be checked out.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:13 PM   #7

Here is the thing. A very small leak over a long period of time the smelly stuff in the propane goes away and you still have propane in the camper and it may be at an explosive level. Several years ago here where we live a family got exploded inside their camper when the wife went to light the cook stove. There was no propane smell present. They lived but were burnt really bad.

If your battery was dead B 4 you went to charge it, the detector would not have been working and once the voltage was raised it started working and it went off.

This is a very bad situation. You need to have it resolved before you do any camping. NEVER turn on any electrical device or cause any static electricity or have any flamible object inside the camper u till you resolve the issue.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:48 PM   #8

Maryland

Darwin, again thanks for taking the time to explain the dangers. I took the battery today to have it checked and it was reading 6 then dropped to 4. Also, the positive side and down the side of the battery was extended. It was a Walmart marine battery purchased 3/12. Now I need to make sure there are no propane leaks. Believe me I will not take the CASITA on any trips until this is resolved. Thanks again for sharing your story. I pray that family is doing well now. Love Camping
Old 07-13-2016, 04:31 PM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Interesting thread as the Casita's battery box is one sealed unit and vents to the outside .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:36 PM   #10

If the alarm goes off again you may want to call a fire department to see if they can test the air inside for gas. They have test equipment to do that. Gas companies also have the instruments to do it.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:12 PM   #11

Maryland

Thanks for the advice. I do have a buried Propane tank that serves my two fireplaces in the house. The Casita is parked 10' from the tank. My propane company is coming out on Monday July 18th to check for leaks.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:24 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
It has been experienced by this user and confirmed by a number of other users that a sealed and vented battery box will still set off CO alarms while connected to shore power. There are many variables such as location, state of battery at the start of the charge and just how tight the lid on the sealed battery box is. Age of the detector comes into play, most have a five year time to live.

Check if you have a CO, Propane or combined detector.

When connected to shore power the battery is being charged and there is off gassing. Some detectors are very sensitive.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:50 PM   #13

Maryland

Paul, it's a Safe T Alert Propane and Methane Gas Detector. The Casita is a 2006 bought from a second owner so I don't know the age of the detector.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:11 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If it's like mine, on the back of the unit you will find a date sticker.
That is the date of manufacture. The five year useful life starts when the unit is installed, which could be six months or more beyond that date.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:02 AM   #15

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Camping View Post
I recently purchased a 2006 Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe. Every time I plug into electric and let the battery charge overnight the Gas Detector goes into alarm mode....
It might be an obvious question but I have to ask it.. by "alarm mode" do you mean a constant audible alarm or a beeping audio alarm? if not constant, then see if your model's manual has a section like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Untitled-1 copy.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:33 PM   #16

Maryland

Gordon2
It's a very loud constant alarm. But as I said as soon as I disconnect the electric cord that's charging the battery and open windows and doors the alarm stops and the indicator light on the detector goes from RED to GREEN. I have a new battery coming tomorrow and hopefully once that's in place everything will be ok. Thanks for your input.

Tags
propane