SAGGING SCAMP ROOF - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2021, 12:48 PM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
SAGGING SCAMP ROOF

I know the topic has been posted before but here it is again with a picture.
Mine has been on the highway (never off roaded) for well over 10,000 miles. Most of the miles (and storage) however have been with a load lock supporting the roof. Still it is sagging, I think it is just the Scamp way of life, like doors that loose their curve.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp roof sag.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 01:32 PM   #2

Name: rj
Trailer: Owner of a 16' fixer Scamp and fixed up 13'
Colorado
I put a brace in mine. Of course I had major sag from the AC that came from 2 owners previous. The last owner had an elaborate wood brace, and I replaced with a fabricated metal one.
funkgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 03:28 AM   #3

Name: Allison
Trailer: Scamp
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkgun View Post
I put a brace in mine. Of course I had major sag from the AC that came from 2 owners previous. The last owner had an elaborate wood brace, and I replaced with a fabricated metal one.
I need to add a brace. Do you have pics of yours?
Alliscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:51 PM   #4

Name: rj
Trailer: Owner of a 16' fixer Scamp and fixed up 13'
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliscamp View Post
I need to add a brace. Do you have pics of yours?

Sorry a bit late here.
Click image for larger version

Name:	8C3E2821-DB6E-4BAE-A2A7-905D7242D425.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	144322

Wood to the corners is a Chunk of I believe Oak cut down to conform to the curve of the scamp roof in the little bump out area. I had to get 2 2x4s that were the right height to prop the roof to the right place, then cut down four 2 inch X 1/8th steel metal pieces stacking 2 of them and riveted them together. I over cut a bit and slightly bent the metal into an arch and connected them at the L brackets.

Now all this said... I feel since i have learned more about fiberglass, it might be a lot easier to cut a 2 foot section out of the rat fur, sand it down from the inside, buy a thin sheet of Birch and properly fiberglass the roof and reattach. BUT since I had never touched resin before that I figures this was a good alternative. =)
funkgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:09 AM   #5

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
If there is a sag that lets the cutout sit at the bottom of a "dish" it will eventually leak and cause problems.
One could also install some arches across the underside from sides of the raised portion of the roof that is pretty still as well.
It would not have to be deeper than the vent to stiffen the roof considerably.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp