Sandblasting Burro Frame in CT - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2014, 06:21 PM   #1

Name: A
Trailer: Burro
Connecticut
Sandblasting Burro Frame in CT

Hi folks, This site is amazing sooooo much great information in the archives it is blowing my mind. I tried searching for this but couldn't find what I was looking for. My question is how much would it cost to sandblast my frame for a 13' Burro in CT? Or if you live in a neighboring state how much did you pay? Also where did you take it if you live in CT interested in Hartford County areas but can travel. Mine is an 82, just got it in the garage today after looking at the tips on this site. Lol got 8" rims, took the top fan cover off, and she rolled right in.
Rumpledump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:17 PM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Did you try the yellow pages? We had some steel done at work where we hired a local company. They came out sandblasted everything asked and the cleaned up. A quick look showed a number of them in Hartford. Also some body shops do it as well as some machine shops.
padlin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:29 PM   #3

Connecticut
Yes looked and found a bunch of places around here. More interested in the prices folks paid. Want to make sure I get a reasonable deal. Thanks for the info though.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Google Eastwood rust converter and use their products instead of sand blasting.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:05 PM   #5

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Google Eastwood rust converter and use their products instead of sand blasting.
Holly dog poop batman! I didn't realize they even made stuff like this. Kind of skeptical about the products like this not sure they cure the problem. Have to do research thanks for the heads up. I like the $3 rustoleum alternative right off the bat over this but I'll have to educate myself. Thanks buddy this is certainly interesting.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:18 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpledump View Post
Holly dog poop batman! I didn't realize they even made stuff like this. Kind of skeptical about the products like this not sure they cure the problem. Have to do research thanks for the heads up. I like the $3 rustoleum alternative right off the bat over this but I'll have to educate myself. Thanks buddy this is certainly interesting.
Rustoleum is a once a year product. Or, you could spend more bucks and be one-and-done with Eastwoods POR15. No comparison IMHO.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:37 PM   #7

Hay Rump: I have used this stuff for over 35 Years and it works. It converts the rust to something else and if u follow the directions, it will not rust in that spot anymore.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:48 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
POR15, good stuff, don't get it on you, you'll have to wait for it to wear off. After opening the can, I put the excess in a glass jar and put wax paper or plastic baggie between the jar and lid or you'll never get it back off. Don't even think about cleaning the brush, use a throw away. It's not an Eastwood product, but they do sell it. I've bought it at car show/swap meets. The dealer I bought from said a rough surface is better than a smooth one to apply it to, i.e. sand blasted surface adheres better than power wire wheel cleaned surface. And they sell cleaner and surface prep stuff too. I had the rims on our teardrop sandblasted and painted them with POR15, still good after 6 years.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #9

I would use several of their products to include por15. Transform the rust, seal the rust then POR as a final coat. Should you sandblast, you would have to seal /paint anyway. Go on line and get their catalog and research their products. Their products are designed for Vintage Car restoration.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:25 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Not in your area but we have a local business where you can sandblast items yourself. They provide all the safety equipment, sandblasting material, racks and systems to hold your items etc. You pay for the time you spend on your project. It is not hard to do, maybe a little tedious. I think it cost me just under $200 total, but that included the time for me to remove the axle so no sandblasting media got into the brakes and bearings.
Here I am sandblasting my frame

This is the company where I did the sandblasting
DIY
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:40 PM   #11

Ian, Did you use real sand.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Ian, Did you use real sand.
Yes the product the company provides in their DIY stations:

Description from their website:
"Sil Industrial Minerals’ sands are a sub-angular grain, crystalline silica sand with a hardness and uniformity superior to common or local river sands. All Sil Industrial Minerals sands are mined, washed, sized, dried and screened. Applications include abrasive cleaning, filtration, hydraulic fracturing and the surface preparation for coatings of bridges, concrete, construction and oilfield equipment."
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #13

Name: Ming
Trailer: Burro 13
California
DIY sandblasting looks like tons of fun. De-rusting and painting it yourself is less fun, but doable. We did it on our 1980 Burro frame and it looks great now. We used the POR15 method and expect it to last forever. See our blog for pics.

http://8legsandatrailer.wordpress.co...-elbow-grease/

Tags
burro