Scamp 13 Broken Front Window - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2021, 03:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Scamp 13 Broken Front Window

We just got home from getting 1993 Scamp 13 from storage & noticed the front window had broke & the missing piece is inside the Scamp.

Is this something I need to bring to Scamp or could I find a replacement & do it myself? I'm kinda handy but not Elon Musk handy.

You can also see I need some new cushion covers.

Thanks for any help.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210501_161644.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	140645
barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:18 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
How sad! Seems more like vandalism or perhaps an accidental impact than a natural failure.

The window itself is just plexiglass, available at any hardware or home supply store. Take the broken piece to match the thickness, and use the old piece as a template to cut the new.

Given the age I’d probably replace the gasket, too. That’s available online, and you have to know the thickness of the window and the surrounding fiberglass. You”ll cut it a bit long so you don’t get a gap at the bottom center seam.

The process of getting the old one out and the new one in is doable but a bit tricky. There are threads with how-tos and tips. I do recall there’s a tool you need. Haven’t had to do mine, so I’ll leave the details to others, or you can search for those old threads (site search/google at bottom of search menu gives best results). Try “replace Scamp (Boler) front window.”

If you decide to hire it done, some auto glass shops can do this type of window installation. It’s common in heavy equipment and vintage cars. Ask around and make sure they have actual experience.

You can purchase new upholstery covers from Scamp, but the fabric has changed. As an alternative, maybe you could deconstruct the top bunk cover, use the underside to patch the bad section, and use a complementary fabric for the bottom, which doesn’t show as much.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 03:56 AM   #3

Name: Jerome
Trailer: 2000 Scamp 13
AR
front window is tough

I had a leak in the front window gasket so I ordered a new gasket and window from Scamp and it was a very difficult job to put in. In fact I couldn't get it after trying most of a day. I noticed that the one that came out had a curve that matched the trailer front. Very slight from top to bottom on the ends and a more visible curve from side to side. While my experiment did not come out perfect this is what worked for me. I have a glass top electric stove at home and wearing grill gloves I waved the the plexiglass over the stove with all the burners on till it softened. I then placed it on an old sheet over the old window and ended up with some curve. Then I was able to install it in less than an hour.
JeromeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:28 AM   #4

Name: Joel
Trailer: shopping
Tx
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeB View Post
I had a leak in the front window gasket so I ordered a new gasket and window from Scamp and it was a very difficult job to put in. In fact I couldn't get it after trying most of a day. I noticed that the one that came out had a curve that matched the trailer front. Very slight from top to bottom on the ends and a more visible curve from side to side. While my experiment did not come out perfect this is what worked for me. I have a glass top electric stove at home and wearing grill gloves I waved the the plexiglass over the stove with all the burners on till it softened. I then placed it on an old sheet over the old window and ended up with some curve. Then I was able to install it in less than an hour.
Way to think through the issue. Well done.
jeepers29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:56 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Agree. That’s a technique I hadn’t heard before. The curve is a result of time and hardening of the plastic, of course. It started as a flat sheet just like the new one.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp