Scamp 13' door hinges - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2009, 09:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 1992 13 ft Scamp
My Scamp came home from the paint shop and now it's time to re-assemble.

Today we started installing the door with the new hinges purchases from Scamp. It seems that the new hinges stick out farther then the old one's. In return makes the door stick out farther at hinged side. Is it possible to add 3/16 aluminum spacers behind hinges attached to door? Or is it easier to just polish existing hinges and re-install? Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
David
DavidS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:03 PM   #2

Quote:
My Scamp came home from the paint shop and now it's time to re-assemble.

Today we started installing the door with the new hinges purchases from Scamp. It seems that the new hinges stick out farther then the old one's. In return makes the door stick out farther at hinged side. Is it possible to add 3/16 aluminum spacers behind hinges attached to door? Or is it easier to just polish existing hinges and re-install? Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
David
In addition the top hinge was installed crooked from factory, sure wish I noticed it before.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:01 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
You should be able to buff up the old hinge, just use a wire brush or a dremel tool. I would use the ball and spring from the new hinges. I would also replace the hinge bolt and nut with stainless hardware. I normally replace all hardware with stainless fastners whenever possible to prevent rust and streaking.
I you choose to use a spacer with the new hinges just make sure your attaching bolts threads extend pass the nut.
Eddie,
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:27 PM   #4

Quote:
You should be able to buff up the old hinge, just use a wire brush or a dremel tool. I would use the ball and spring from the new hinges. I would also replace the hinge bolt and nut with stainless hardware. I normally replace all hardware with stainless fastners whenever possible to prevent rust and streaking.
I you choose to use a spacer with the new hinges just make sure your attaching bolts threads extend pass the nut.
Eddie,
Thanks Eddie, I started polishing the old hinges with the dremel tool today. I put the the
old hinge next to the new hinge that was mounted.There's a 1/4 inch or more difference that the new hinge sticks out more than the old, making the hinged side of the door stick out more. The gap is so large that the weather stripping would not seal.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I wonder if something has gone wrong with their hinges? I can't figure out how the ones you describe would work on Scamps then either. I mean, the door in them sits flush with the opening too, doesn't it?

Is one "leg" of the hinge longer (sounds like it must be)?

Can any Scampers give any insight?

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I wonder if there is a difference in hinges like on the old bolers. The upper had a #2 stamped on it and the lower a #1. (or vice versa)
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:52 PM   #7

Quote:
I wonder if there is a difference in hinges like on the old bolers. The upper had a #2 stamped on it and the lower a #1. (or vice versa)
Roy, I looked at that the hinges appear to be the same. After installing the new hinges I noticed how large the gap was between the door and opening surface. I then placed the old hinge next to the new and there's a sizable difference. I considered putting shims on the door side of the hinge to move door closer to opening. Maybe, I'm doing something wrong.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:49 AM   #8

It would be interesting to get to the bottom of this. I know that a number of Bolerites have considered buying the Scamp hinges as replacements, so there would definitely be people in your wake who would be interested in what you're finding.

Would you be able to post photos of the hinge problem?

I wonder how this is affecting new Scamps. Have they changed the door or body mold?

Yes, on my Boler the top pair of hinges both have a number 2 on them, and the bottom pair of hinges both have a number 1.

Another thought: Were you using the new hinges in the old mounting holes, but the new hinges need differently spaced mounting holes?

A picture would be worth 1,000 words, if you could post one.

Raya
Old 09-13-2009, 05:30 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
All good points Raya! David please let us know what year your trailer is too. Your profile doesn't give us that information. Occasionally that little bit of information is enough to track the differences.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:11 AM   #10

David,
Can you measure and post the lengths of the hinge arms both body and door side?
Both old and new.

Are upper and lower the same?
Old 09-13-2009, 05:42 PM   #11

Quote:
David,
Can you measure and post the lengths of the hinge arms both body and door side?
Both old and new.

Are upper and lower the same?
All,

It's a 1992 Scamp 13'. Yes, I'm using the existing holes for new hinges the holes seem to line up perfectly besides the out of plum top hinge the factory installed. Today I went and measured the hinge difference and it's the problem by far. There's a 5/8" difference between the new to old hinge finding the new hinge bigger. I polished up the old hinges and they look great. I will post some pics. of my findings within the next couple days.

Also, the new hinges will work with some modification of course and they are going back to Scamp.

Thanks,
DavidS
Old 09-13-2009, 05:53 PM   #12

Is that 5/8" difference on both arms or just one?
Old 09-13-2009, 05:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Is that 5/8" difference on both arms or just one?
Roy,

That would be both arms.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:56 PM   #14

I'm probably a bit slow, but I'm still scratching my head a bit to try to visualize this.

I understand your use of the old hinges; why not, since they fit and are reusable. But the curious side of me still wants to figure out how Scamp is using these on their new trailers, since it doesn't look like the basic geometry of their doors has changed.

Would it have been a matter of putting the fastener holes in new places to have made them fit?

Is there any chance you could post a photo that shows the difference?

Thanks,

Raya
Old 09-28-2009, 09:37 PM   #15

Here's the photo of the new hinge next to the old polished hinged installed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	phpv3YfYaPM.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	23794

Here's another side view picture comparing the size difference from the new hinge to the old.

Click image for larger version

Name:	php0n5PM5PM.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	23795

Thanks,
David
Old 09-29-2009, 07:11 AM   #16

Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Here's the photo of the new hinge next to the old polished hinged installed.

Attachment 23794

Here's another side view picture comparing the size difference from the new hinge to the old.

Attachment 23795

Thanks,
David
Any chance that Scamp changed the corresponding part (on the door, I guess) to match?

Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:29 AM   #17

I'm still mystified, too! (Thanks for the photo though.)

I would love to see a photo of both halves held up to the door and body as though they were in use. I see that the piece shown is taller; but on the other hand, the door and the body are still on the same plane on the new Scamps, so

Raya
Old 09-29-2009, 10:26 AM   #18

Quote:
I'm still mystified, too! (Thanks for the photo though.)

I would love to see a photo of both halves held up to the door and body as though they were in use. I see that the piece shown is taller; but on the other hand, the door and the body are still on the same plane on the new Scamps, so

Raya
I will post picture's of complete hinge. Good point Raya, but the door side hinge dimensions match the existing hinge and the pivot hinge is longer making the door stick out. Possibility, Scamp sent the wrong pivot hinge, I'm not sure what type of hinges go on the 16' and fifth wheel Scamp.

DavidS
Old 09-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #19

Thanks David, I would love to see a photo of the set, and this could be useful information for people who need new hinges.

Since it looks like the current Scamps' doors also sit flush with the shell (as do the Bolers and Scamps that I know), I can't see how they could have hinges that make the door sit "out" from the shell. Have you checked with Scamp parts department on this?

Also, I think we already asked you this, but did you have the two #1 halves mated together (they go at the bottom of the door) and then the two #2 halves mated together (they go at the top of the door).

Again, thanks for sticking this out so that we can learn something (even though you went back to your old hinges).

Raya
Old 09-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Thanks David, I would love to see a photo of the set, and this could be useful information for people who need new hinges.

Since it looks like the current Scamps' doors also sit flush with the shell (as do the Bolers and Scamps that I know), I can't see how they could have hinges that make the door sit "out" from the shell. Have you checked with Scamp parts department on this?

Also, I think we already asked you this, but did you have the two #1 halves mated together (they go at the bottom of the door) and then the two #2 halves mated together (they go at the top of the door).

Again, thanks for sticking this out so that we can learn something (even though you went back to your old hinges).

Raya
I spoke with Scamp today concerning the hinge issue, I should have called sooner. Scamp said they did change the dimension of the hinge. The Scamp parts guy suggested removing the old hinges and drilling new holes to accommodate dimension change. I guess this would be a alternative if you want to patch old holes for new hinges, which I choose not to do. The problem is I still can't see where you would be able to re-position the new hinge to make up the difference. Scamp also suggested keeping the hinge attached to the door and moving the position of the pivot side but that would make the door reveal very odd looking. I hope this helps other's with installing new hinges.

Thanks,
David

Tags
scamp