Scamp 13' door strike plate - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2008, 12:24 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Hi all,

We just bought a 1990 Scamp 13'. The strike plate on the door is loose, and is missing what looks like a rivet. My question is,Can this be replaced (by me) by ordering a new part from scamp? How do you deal with the rivets? Should I drill out the rivets and replace them with machine screws?

Thanks for your help.

- Doug
Doug E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:57 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Should I drill out the rivets and replace them with machine screws?

I think this is the route I would take if I found myself in your situation. I would find a local hardware source before I contacted Scamp.

Good luck!
Old 03-02-2008, 05:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
Hi all,

We just bought a 1990 Scamp 13'. The strike plate on the door is loose, and is missing what looks like a rivet. My question is,Can this be replaced (by me) by ordering a new part from scamp? How do you deal with the rivets? Should I drill out the rivets and replace them with machine screws?

Thanks for your help.
- Doug
My 97 striker has 2 rivets and 2 machine screws.
As you are looking at the striker on the door jamb the 2 rivet holes are on the left side and go into the closet. The 2 on the right side are the machine screws that thread into the threaded rear portion of the striker.
I would just rivet the 2 on the left and replace the machine screws on the right. If the threads are bad then you could use nuts on the back as they will not interfere with anything.
The rivet size is 3/16 " diameter with a grip range of 3/8 to 1/2 inch. I completely re-riveted the 1977 I had and that was the size I used.
The striker is unique to Scamp, is readily available from Scamp and are only a couple of bucks.
I replaced one on a 77 Scamp that I had. It is easy.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:37 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
thanks John for the information. , I will order the strike plate from scamp. Does the rivets that go into the fiberglass (left side) just shoot in with a rivet gun, or do you have to have some resistance in order to fasten them into the fiberglass?

Thanks again for everyones advice and help.

- Doug
Doug E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:10 AM   #5

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
thanks John for the information. , I will order the strike plate from scamp. Does the rivets that go into the fiberglass (left side) just shoot in with a rivet gun, or do you have to have some resistance in order to fasten them into the fiberglass?

Thanks again for everyones advice and help.

- Doug
The rivets will hold in the fiberglass just with the pop rivet tool. I would recomend putting a washer on the interior side of the rivet, if you can, as the striker is going to be subjected to forces the other rivets are not subjected to.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp