Scamp 13 Restoration - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #1

Name: Nick
Trailer: Scamp
Vermont
Question Scamp 13 Restoration

Hi, we are new to this forum and the RV world in general, we have always been tent campers, and are looking for some advice in restoring our newly acquired Scamp 13.

We have acquired a completely gutted late 80's Scamp 13. All of the interior fiberglass structures have been removed but are still fully intact. The wooden floor parts are still in place with no rot & the frame is rust free.

I hope to create a custom interior using as few of the factory fiberglass parts as possible without sacrificing the structural integrity of the unit. Any insight to what parts are necessary and what are optional would be great.

My second dilemma is how to recover the interior of the unit. The original headliner was removed and I am now left with foam and adhesive covering the interior walls and ceiling. I plan to use a 3M abrasive pad to remove this backing unless anyone knows of a better option out there.

My largest concern is what to replace the headliner with. I am unsure of whether to use the Foil Ray insulation on the Scamp website, an open cell product similar to what was previously installed, or no insulation all together. additionally I am looking to the pros and cons of each covering.

Thanks in advance for the advice,

N & J
N and J in VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #2

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Hi, and welcome. The main thing is to put your own personality into it. What you must do is make sure you have supports or the roof will cave in. The cabinets that were removed together with the metal twisted piece at the sink, provided critical support. Try searching for threads where others have done the restoration you have questions on like the headliner. Use the google function at the bottom of the search list and you'll find oodles of info and pictures. Have fun!
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp