Scamp 13' Roof Vent ?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2011, 12:19 PM   #1

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Scamp 13' Roof Vent ??

My 'new' 1984 Scamp 13' is missing the 15x22" roof vent. Apparently it was broken & the PO replaced it with a sheet of stainless steel. I'm planning to replace the stainless with a roof vent but would like to use a Fantastic Fan. The Fantastic Fan requires a 14.5x14.5" (approx) cutout. Has anyone here ever installed a Fantastic Fan in the original roof vent location? If so what method did you use to reduce the cutout? Perhaps I'd be better off just replacing the stainless with an original size vent & adding the Fantastic Fan in another location?? Any advice/tips appreciated. TIA.

This how it looks now (yeah, I know I got a lotta cleaning to do)
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #2

Arkansas
Guess I need to learn to do a better job with the Search function . I found the thread with Donna's post about the 'Escape/Egress Hatch' so I'll replace the stainless with an original roof vent/escape hatch. Will hafta look at the roof a little closer to find a location for the Fantastic Fan. I do have an old 18x24" radius corner window with the red 'Emergency Egress' handle from a mid-90's camper that I might could use to replace one of the Scamp's side windows??
Old 02-05-2011, 07:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Two vents are better than one. Especially is one is a power vent. One forward, one aft and you'll get great ventilation without the need to open the windows. If the non-powered vent has a MaxxAir vent cover on it, you can leave it open in the rain..
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:50 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Two vents are better than one. Especially is one is a power vent.
On all the Scamps I've seen with a Fantastic-Fan, they mount it just forward of the "Escape Hatch" roof vent with only a few inches between the two.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #5

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I installed my fan over the bed area so I have a little breeze on hot nights.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If your stove doesn't have a vent hood, consider putting the power vent on the roof dead center of the kitchen area, so when you boil something, you can remove the moisture quickly.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Harvey
I think this is the replacement for the origional hatch. You might want to call and make sure. Even though it says the frame is alum. the orig. and replacement vent fame is plastic. I have replaced several plastic frame hatches and when I do I cut out a plywood ring around the vent on the inside and screw the vent and trim ring to the plywood.
Eddie
15 x 22 Elixir Vent Lid - $55.60
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:26 PM   #8

Arkansas
Thanks Eddie. Wuz lookin' at that one. Still not sure but reading the description it appears you're only gettin' the lid & not the complete vent assembly?? I'll give 'em a call & check it out. If it is the complete assembly, that's a lot better price than from Scamp, even with shipping.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
Thanks Eddie. Wuz lookin' at that one. Still not sure but reading the description it appears you're only gettin' the lid & not the complete vent assembly?? I'll give 'em a call & check it out. If it is the complete assembly, that's a lot better price than from Scamp, even with shipping.
Harvey
I remembered I got mine from Tweetys.com. I think this is what you want, the one with the plastic frame. Again call and make sure.
Eddie
Heng Exit Vents
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I installed a Fantstic fan at the back over the rear table/bed behind the main escape hatch. Works well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp