Scamp 13' Toolkit & accessories - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #1

Name: Stinson
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Maine
Registry
Scamp 13' Toolkit & accessories

Hi Everyone!
My wife and I just picked up a never used 2013 13'er here in Maine. We are excited to begin planning trips.

This is our first camper and we are looking for advice on recommended items to have in a toolkit and other accessories you find a must.

Thanks!
StinsonMathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase of the 13' Scamp. We are on our 2nd one in 20 years (both were over 10 yrs old when we purchased them), and really have been enjoying them. I carry a volt meter, screw drivers, aluminum tape, bungie cords, lug wrench, extra wheel bearings/race (already greased), and a hammer. I did replace a rivet once while on a two month journey, so I had to borrow my brother-in-laws pop rivet gun while visiting him. I don't thing that is a necessary tool to carry as they rarely ever need replacing.
Now go out there and make memories but take pictures and share with the rest of the group here.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Amongst other things I also carry an extra set of wheel bearings and seals as well as an extra hub cover - you never know where you might have an issue and whether or not you can get the right ones in that location fast. Extra light bulbs for exterior and interior lights as well as the various fuses my converter uses as well as the ones inline on my Scamp. A few hose clamps of different sizes, tie wraps of different sizes, as well as a roll of good old duct tape! I do carry a few rivets and caps of various sizes - figure I can always buy a cheap gun if I need it on the road.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #4

Name: Heather
Trailer: Scamp
New Hampshire
Registry
Hey Mainiac

How are things up yonder?
I'm going to third Carol and David and wish I had known after my last tour from Hell!

You really really MUST HAVE spare bearings, seals, and hub covers plus axel grease!

I found that out a few weeks ago in NY! I'm now a bearings pro and out $200 due to a road side machanic. My error was caught before it got really bad!

re-Grease your bearings at lease once a year...

happy scamping

Heather
Nutzy in New England

PS: stay off all NY parkways... NY's deffination of a passenger of a vehicle is not the same as Webster's Dictionary! At lease my cop was cute and I didn't get a ticket
noyes1630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Add a jack that can jack up the trailer. Test the one in the tow it may work it does on mine. A jack stand, a pair of needle nose pliers to pull fuses. A pair of channel locks. first time you stick a hose connection you will want these. Electrical tape and teflon tape. Spare light bulbs for the trailer lights. What ever tool necessary to disconnect the battery. A trailer electrical test plug its better to chase problems when you know where the problem is. A full set of spare fuses X 2. and I love having my folding 2 step plastic stool. It beats standing on an ice chest.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Camera
Journal

Zero balance credit card!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:49 AM   #7

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
I bring along a crimp pliers, assorted crimps and liquid electrical tape, extra hose washers, and a couple of hose clamps.
Davie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Me being a retired truck mechanic I carry all kinds of tools, and hope I'll never need them! Wire ties & bungees are my most used items. Haven't had to replace any bulbs or fuses yet. Don't forget a lug wrench to change a tire, or check to see if the one in your tow vehicle will fit. Or better yet, get AAA's RV coverage and let someone else do the work. Heather, was it the Taconic Parkway, runs right past our house.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #9

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Welcome Stinson - Some good suggestions in this thread. It is hubby who organises the 'real tools' when we head out - I won't leave without a 1st Aid kit. To me those words don't mean a few band aids or a commercial ready to go kit.

We always have tension bandages, regular roll bandages, a couple of slings, a roll of medical tape, some clean cloth for dressings, feminine pads for severe cuts that need more than a 'bit' of covering, scissors that work, good tweezers for slivers and ticks, disinfectant, aloe vera gel, and a small booklet about 1st Aid in case we get panicky!

A separate kit of useful things includes things like spare shoe laces, needle and thread, a couple of buttons of suitable sizes, an old pair of glasses each in case of breakages, straps to keep glasses attached to our heads when canoeing in rough waters, a patching kit for self inflating air mattresses (grandkids use them in the tent), emergency fire starting items, water purifying tablets.

Actually these items don't take up much space and can indeed be useful.

Take photos, share them here, ask questions and answer other peoples questions as you learn some tricks of trailering. Have fun!
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #10

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Smile

In addition to all of the above, I would suggest an adjustable wrench large enough to be able to remove the hitch ball nut. That wrench works on anything smaller as well, eliminating the need for a lot of wrenches in your tool kit. I find that electrical tools such as a multimeter, wire stripper, electrical tape and needle nose pliers are the things I use the most when on the road, both for myself and to help out other campers. Plastic cable ties are very useful.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #11

Name: Chuck
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Washington
All great suggestions! I didn't see anybody mention jumper cables, which I seem to sometimes need anytime I'm messing with batteries.
beardrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #12

Name: Chuck
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Washington
<bump to the top>

How about a trenching tool and a hatchet? We do some serous boondocking, and sometimes need to move some dirt around. The hatchet is great for campfires!

I'm liking this thread, since the amount of stuff, and what kind of stuff, seems to be a constant topic of conversation here at Squirrel Hill West. What kind of cooking utensils, pots & pans make sense in a 13 footer?

c
beardrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #13

Registry
Chuck if you search this site you will find a number of threads on the topic of where people have shared some of what they pack into their trailers.

A few are:

Pack Mule

Stuff do You Use it
Old 01-24-2014, 11:08 PM   #14

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
Beardrum - Our cooking kit has an 6 qt stockpot, a stainless fry pan, a saucepan and a stovetop espresso maker. There are minimal implements including a couple of good knives and a steel. There's a couple of plastic cutting boards, a couple of ss bowls, a strainer and the usual stirring, grabbing and flipping tools. Other stuff gets added if we're planning to do baking and/or cook over a campfire while on a trip.
Davie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:23 PM   #15

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
The first must haves I discovered was a water pressure valve,
Different lengths of drinking water hoses. And a 30 amp extension
cord. Use the extension more than I thought I would.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:28 PM   #16

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
5X7 plastic tarp, can be used for everything from a ground cover to a poncho, to a table cloth. to a shade etc.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:44 AM   #17

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
A light for outside when sitting outside at night-Coleman gas or propane if you plan to boondock a lot or electric if you stay where there are amenities. I'm not sure anyone mentioned flashlight(s) and batteries, ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL. And in my case, a 4-cup Mr. Coffee maker. Without that, none of the other tools work very well!
Old 01-25-2014, 07:49 AM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
A wiring diagram that you have made! I found that my original wiring was a mess. Step one was to trace where all wires went. Doing this gave a much more intimate knowledge not only of the electrical system but also about a lot of other ins and outs concerning the workings of my Scamp 13 ('93). There are many of the same things that a person might have to fix while on the road.
DaMScampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:24 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
The first must haves I discovered was a water pressure valve,
Different lengths of drinking water hoses. And a 30 amp extension
cord. Use the extension more than I thought I would.
Help a newbie here please. What does the water pressure valve do? I'm about to purchase a 13' scamp - do I need to get a pressure valve?

thanks
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:28 AM   #20

Registry
David it regulates the water pressure going into the trailer. Hopefully preventing your water connections inside the trailer from being blown apart due to the pressure from the campground you are connected to being to high.

Tags
scamp