Scamp 16' 3 way refrigerator service - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2016, 06:07 AM   #1

Name: Teal
Trailer: Scamp 16
Arizona
Scamp 16' 3 way refrigerator service

Greetings... my little refrigerator in my Gem works on AC and DC but I cannot get the propane started. It seems like the propane is getting to it but it is not lighting.

Does anyone have suggestions on servicing it before I take it to a repair place...thinking maybe I could do it myself or have friends help if there are some things to check. I looked and searched for threads on this but did not find any.

Thanks as always for your help.
Teal
Teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:39 AM   #2

Name: Charles
Ohio
This video solved my problem. Wasn't hard to do.

cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Teal how old is your trailer/fridge?

As Charles suggests cleaning the jet can help.

As a side note if my fridge has not been run on propane for some time - i.e. its been in storage for the winter - it can be hard to start the first time.

I always make sure the propane tank is fully open. I light the stove in the trailer first to fill propane into the lines. When starting the fridge I need to hold the knob in pilot/lighting position for a fairly long time after clicking the starter and getting a flame - sometimes as long as 30 to 40 seconds before the flame will stay on. Mine is an older fridge though which may or may not make a difference.

The little flame is hard to see sometimes particularly in bright light so it may be lighting but you just can not see it. It helps if you can block the sun from the little window to actually see that there is a flame. If you have someone with you that can stand behind you to block the sun that helps. I actually keep a small bit of aluminum sheeting I leave in the outside fridge compartment to create a sun shield to help me see the flame in bright light. Putting your hand on the stack to feel if its warming up is one way to tell it is light for sure as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:57 PM   #4

Arizona
My Gem is a 2007 but rarely used. I don't know if the propane has ever been used. I couldn't get it lit on my first trip this past holiday season so I only used the AC/DC.

The repair shop mentioned the cleaning of the orifice and the youtube that CMartin748 sent looks helpful. I figure I'll give it try. Best to know my own equipment if possible I think. Thanks for the post of that video too... I searched a few but this one is easy to follow and it looks just like mine.

Good advice on viewing the flame too... thanks! I'll let you know how I do.
Teal
Old 02-25-2016, 05:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
BTW if it has so much as a tiny little spider web it will not light either! Thats a pretty common issue with units that have not been used in awhile as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:22 PM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Registry
It doesn't take much to mess with the gas jet. Mine was not cooling well on gas and I took the jet out looked it over and put it back in. Next time we tried the frig. I had to turn the thermostat way down, never did see what was blocking the jet, it was that small.
old guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:09 PM   #7

Arizona
Thank you all for your comments. I looked at the YouTube and it looks doable. If I can't make it work, I have a friend who might help and then there's the shop. Since it sounds like it has to be checked yearly or whatever... learning to so it myself would be valuable.

Tags
refrigerator, scamp