Scamp 16' Deluxe (2003) wiring near pass wheel well - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2022, 04:22 PM   #1

Name: Joseph
Trailer: Scamp 16' Deluxe Plan B
PHOENIX
Scamp 16' Deluxe (2003) wiring near pass wheel well

Hi all,
I recently purchased this Scamp (about 10 years ahead of when we planned buy something with a bathroom) because of the price. I knew about this hole. The PO had a blow out on a mountain road and couldn't stop. So the pass. side wheel well got shredded. It put a big hole behind the pass. wheel well on the vertical & horizontal side. It also pulled down at least one wire (see pic) and bent two of the copper gas tubes (one to the stove, the other to water heater I'm guessing).

I'm fairly handy and am comfortable with repairs but I don't know what is what. I have the original owners manual and wiring diagram, but of course that doesn't tell you what's behind the rat fur.

1. Anyone know what the switch is under the stove? (I know the toggle above it is the water pump)

2. Both wires to the water pump are disconnected and I don't know where the wires should be coming from (e.g. front or back of trailer).

3. Any idea what this black wire hanging out of the wheel well goes to? (I'm guessing to the water pump); it's just one braided black wire.

4. There's a larger gauge black wire set (with + - gr inside) that has part of the sheath off but is intact aside from the ground being exposed.

5. I can fix/replace the corners of the copper tubing with a little time & contortionist skills.

Otherwise Pluto is in pretty good shape!! ;-)

2019 Subaru Outback ~ Harold
JoeCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 08:10 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
(1) Looks like the remnants of the furnace thermostat.
(2) Trailer side water pump black wire to water pump switch, the white wire ties to a common ground wire.
(3) A heavy stranded black wire is more than likely the 12V feed for lights, power outlet, or water pump feed to switch on the passenger side.
(4) ??? Black jacketed multi conductor wire?
Have you located your coax antenna wire? Are your brake wires intact they would be a heavy gauge but usually blue and on the driver's side.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 06:36 PM   #3

Name: Joseph
Trailer: Scamp 16' Deluxe Plan B
PHOENIX
Thank you Eddie!

4) Yep, found the coax wire. It's separate and intact. Great idea about checking the brakes!

I think I'm gonna have to go back to basics, plug it in and just start testing items, wires, and grounds with a testing light.

P.S. before I bought it I noticed that most of the electrical worked:
AC, lights, fridge.

At the time, it was only the water pump I couldn't get working but in my ignorance at the time, I thought it was b/c there was no battery. (I didn't know that when it's plugged it it's also running all the DC appliances via converter as well).
2019 Subaru Outback ~ Harold
JoeCool is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp