Scamp 16 foot side dinette loose screws - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2019, 09:23 AM   #1

Name: Gary
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Scamp 16 foot side dinette loose screws

The bottom screw came out of bottom right side of bathroom door trim.

There is no way to put one back in because I can not get a screw to start using the hole visible in the trim.

It hits what seems to be a cast iron wall and even trying to angle the screw does nothing.

By the way ALL of the screws keep falling out ALL the time. I have replaced them with longer and larger except this one is not co-operating at all.
Gary Smigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:51 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Try putting a dab of gorrila glue on the screw threads
I removed all the screws in my Scamp , applied glue , never had another screw fall out
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:03 PM   #3

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
Yes, when a bit of glue no longer works I replace the ones I can with stainless steel bolts; moulding around bathroom door, furnace vent, side dinette base attached to floor. I'm sure there will be more. Scamp's a nice trailer for people who like to fiddle with things. [emoji4]
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 05:44 AM   #4

Michigan
Thank you for the suggestion. I will remember that for when the longer screws work loose. My biggest concern now is why I can't get a screw in the bottom right hole of the bathroom door trim. I have no clue what the screw is hitting. The one on the left bottom did not fall out completely and tightened up but all there is on the right is a hole where I assume a screw used to be.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:14 AM   #5

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
Unbalanced tires will also cause screws to loosen on the road. Follow the suggestions to reinstall with glue and make sure tires are balanced.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:46 AM   #6

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Smigs View Post
Thank you for the suggestion. I will remember that for when the longer screws work loose. My biggest concern now is why I can't get a screw in the bottom right hole of the bathroom door trim. I have no clue what the screw is hitting. The one on the left bottom did not fall out completely and tightened up but all there is on the right is a hole where I assume a screw used to be.
Is it possible that the screw broke and a piece of it is stuck inside? In that case, unfortunately, the replacement would have to fit next to it at a slight angle. Or, a shorter one, secured with epoxy putty (plumber's putty). Just some thoughts.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:19 AM   #7

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Is it possible that the screw broke and a piece of it is stuck inside? In that case, unfortunately, the replacement would have to fit next to it at a slight angle. Or, a shorter one, secured with epoxy putty (plumber's putty). Just some thoughts.
That was my first thought so tried to angle screw resulting in just massacreing the hole in the trim piece. I thought maybe a knot but have not seen any real wood in my Scamp that I didn't bring in so maybe there is steel behind there. I figure not super important but still would like to know, ha.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Smigs View Post
The bottom screw came out of bottom right side of bathroom door trim.

There is no way to put one back in because I can not get a screw to start using the hole visible in the trim.

It hits what seems to be a cast iron wall and even trying to angle the screw does nothing.

By the way ALL of the screws keep falling out ALL the time. I have replaced them with longer and larger except this one is not co-operating at all.
If it's the screw at the bottom of the vertical trim piece, I discovered after several loose screws at that point that it doesn't actually screw into wood. That one actually goes through the wood trim, and then the sheet metal framework in the front, and is visible from underneath the camper. I substituted a sheet metal screw there with a nylok nut on the other end outside the camper. Hasn't come loose since.
The screws under our sink on our 16' side dinette model used to always come loose. The biggest problem with those is that they are screwed into the edge of the OSB and that can actually make the OSB separate since they tend to pry it apart. For some of those screws, I drilled vertical holes on the inside and inserted small nuts and bolts with wide washers to compress the OSB back together (after squirting some wood glue into the screw hole) and that seems to hold the screws tighter. Bigger screws just tend to split the OSB even more.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:55 PM   #9

Name: Tony
Ohio
Interesting thread. What is OSB. I don't want mine splitting.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:10 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony D View Post
Interesting thread. What is OSB. I don't want mine splitting.

Oriented Strand Board. Google likely has pix and info.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:31 PM   #11

Name: Tony
Ohio
Got it. The floor board is made from OSB not plywood. Thanks
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 02:40 PM   #12

Michigan
this is to radar, can't figure out the reply function on the app to individual posts

it is the bottom screw and I had an idea it must be hitting metal. It was also the only "hole" I did not find a corresponding screw to. Most just backed out some, a couple were on the floor, but all I found after looking was a hole in the trim, so not sure what type of fastener was used there. Thanks for the direction, because with the shower being on the other side I didn't want to mess up.

Tags
scamp