Scamp 16' Hitch Ball Height - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #1

Name: dave
Trailer: scamp
New Mexico
Scamp 16' Hitch Ball Height

I am wondering what others recommend for the hitch ball height.

Scamp said to have the top of the ball at 21" but that seems pretty high compared to my utility trailers (8', 12', and 16') all of which are level with the top of the ball several inches lower than that. Plus, my tacoma 4x4 with no load in it and a slight lift from air shocks is about 19.5" to the top of the receiver hitch box which would mean I'd actually need to use a riser ball mount to reach 21" and that just doesn't seem right.

Are the hitches on Scamps higher than other trailers or is 21" maybe a little higher than optimal?
semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
On my silverado, I have a 3/4 in rise, my ball height is 20", which makes Scamp level to slightly nose down. I also have 14 in tires on Scamp which raises it a bit. I would see where Scamp sits level and adjust loaded truck stinger accordingly.
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #3

New Mexico
Thanks for that info. I am picking up the Scamp in July and am trying to get the right draw bar before that. Your info coincides with what Scamp recommended so I guess I will get the smallest drop bar I can which I believe is 2" drop or 1" rise. I wouldn't think the 14" tires would make more than an inch difference in overall height would they?
Old 05-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #4

Minnesota
Registry
maybe 1 in or 1/2 in dont remember what diameter my 13s where 24? 14in maybe 26? Also to me on my trailer 21 seems to high, of course my axle is probably worn or sagged also
Old 05-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #5

Name: Ken
Trailer: Scamp 16 Layout 4
New York
I just picked up my Scamp 16 two weeks ago. I used an adjustable height bar from Walmart, and set it up for the 21" top of ball height. It was just right when we hooked the new trailer up. Just a slight nose down angle.

Ken
kenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #6

New Mexico
thanks for all the help, i'll set mine up for 21" to top of ball just as Scamp suggested. that must mean the trailers have a higher frame than my utility trailers and that will be a big plus when i take it off road. wayne at scamp did say they have very good clearance, which is important to me.

THANKS ALL!
Old 05-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
My 21 year old Scamp with is axle of the same age sits at 20" to the top of the ball when level, so 21" on a new one sounds likely to me. Don't forget though that if what every you hook it up to squats at all in the rear from the tongue weight you will need to adjust your draw bar needs to deal with that.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by semievolved View Post
Scamp said to have the top of the ball at 21" ...
my tacoma 4x4 with no load in it and a slight lift from air shocks is about 19.5" to the top of the receiver hitch box which would mean I'd actually need to use a riser ball mount to reach 21" and that just doesn't seem right.
Remember that the ball is about 3" tall itself, so a zero rise ball mount in a 19.5" high receiver would put the top of the ball above the 21" Scamp height (although the receiver will drop lower due to the tongue weight as Carol mentioned).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:20 AM   #9

New Mexico
I have not seen any zero rise ball mounts as I look through what's available other than in the adjustable version, which I don't really want. Have younseen them?

I put air shocks on my Taco so I should be able to keep the height of the hitch pretty consistent with its current, unloaded height.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #10

Minnesota
Registry
Dave, I have never seen them either, I made my own long time ago, 2 in stock then welded all three balls to it. You would pull it out and rotate it to get the right size ball Used it when my trailers where 1 7/8 and every body else in family had 2in .I have since pretty much retired that one since i have converted my boat trailer to 2 in
Old 05-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #11

New Mexico
you were ahead of your time, i see those multi-ball set ups a lot now but i never remember seeing them until the last few years.

i can weld a little but definitely lousy at it and i'd never trust anything i welded to tow my Scamp! i'm thinking of springing for one of those nice aluminum 2" drop (1" risers) more cause they're so pretty than anything else! can pick one up for $40 which is silly of course, but, hey, it looks coooool.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #12

New Mexico
now that i think about it, i suppose i could just buy some 2" stock and then drill holes for the pin and the ball. the thought of drilling a 1" hole through 2" of steel isn't appealing though and i bet the 1" bit would cost more than the ball mount i am thinking of buying....nevermind....
Old 05-16-2013, 04:53 AM   #13

New York
Triple Ball and zero rise:

Triple Ball Trailer Hitch

Ken
Old 05-16-2013, 06:16 AM   #14

New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenl View Post
Triple Ball and zero rise:

Triple Ball Trailer Hitch

Ken
Good concept but in typical Harbor Freight form they made it so cheap that the balls rust ans the fit is bad (according to the reviews). I just broke a 5" bench vise from HF on a chore that my old small vise would have laughed at. And, of course HF does not offer a replacement piece so it's 60# door stop, boat anchor, paper weight now. No more Harbor Freight for me!
Old 05-16-2013, 07:01 AM   #15

New York
I believe I've seen a similar product made by Reese at Walmart: Reese Towpower Tri Ball Hitch - Walmart.com

Ten bucks more, better quality?
Old 05-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
I like the Reese Interlock stuff, handy if you change balls often. The hex base on the ball locks into the hexagon recess in the top of the mount, much easier to tighten fully, and by not rotating, lessens the chance of backing the nut off. Bought a "starter kit" at Walmart, now I'm trying to determine the drop I need for my Scamp/Dodge. The truck is 21 1/2" ground to top of receiver opening. But that's with no weight in the bed at all, tried it with 2 people on the bumper, only drops 1/2" with over 300 lbs on the back. Kinda scary since I've had it squatted right down with firewood this year.

Anyway, I'm trying to borrow an adjustable mount, just to try different situations and see what I need to buy.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #17

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
My reference to zero rise was just for an example of height, not a suggestion. Just work out the rise required accounting for the height of the itself above the ball mount (about 3") and try the ball mount with about the corresponding rise or drop.

Other than those triple-ball things, the lowest rise / least drop ball mounts for 2" receivers are typically 2" drop and 3/4" rise. The aluminum ones are thicker, thus the 1" rise. If I could get an aluminum ball mount for my 1.25" receiver opening, I would get it... I like the idea too.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #18

New Mexico
I think you were right though, a zero rise would be just about right. Honestly, it'll be close enough with a 2" drop, 3/4" rise mount. I can use the air shocks to fine tune the height anyway.

I realized that the aluminum mount was only 7" from pin to ball. I need at least 10" or my tailgate will hit the trailer lift bar. So, it's good old unsexy steel for me after all!
Old 04-20-2015, 06:19 AM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 16' Oak Deluxe Layout A - "Kiwi"
Maryland
Just recently got our new Scamp 16' Deluxe. While the videos and manuals state 21" hitch ball height, and it seems like most of you recommend that, too, Alan at Scamp, even after questioning it a few times, emphatically recommended I get an 18" height (measured to top of the ball). Our TV is a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The only place we've towed it is home onto our property and it's set up on our property. The area we towed over is not flat, and even with the center jack raised fully, we noticed it had obviously hit the ground going over a little hill. This makes me think I should go to 21". It did tow every easily on the roads the 20 minute drive we took it home from where we met the delivery. I don't know why Alan recommended 18". Any thoughts on this?
mgellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:16 AM   #20

New Mexico
I forgot about this thread! I got a standard bar with the least drop I could, I think it's called a 2" drop. With enough air in the truck shocks to keep the truck level, I find the trailer to be perfectly level as well. Mine is a 2010 4wd Tacoma FWIW. With a 18" height, the trailer would definitely be nose down.

Tags
scamp