Scamp 19 Garage Storage - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2021, 11:27 PM   #1

Name: Guy
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Scamp 19 Garage Storage

Hello, im picking up a scamp 19 deluxe in 2023 with the AC and loft fan and im trying to plan out the storage. Our garage door is 9 ft wide and 7 ft high. The ceilings are 10 ft 3 inches high and i had a contractor look at it and say we could get the door raised to 9 ft 3 inches and still have an opener for it.

What is everyone's experience with fitting a 19 in a garage with a lower door? Could i put a 19 on smaller wheels to get it through or would 9 ft 3 inches still not be tall enough?

Thanks!
CamperTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:07 AM   #2

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Congrats on the new Scamp and welcome aboard! Your new Scamp 19 should be 8'10" high. A 9' door should be fine. There is no way you are going to get it thru a 7' high door!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:17 AM   #3

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
Your new Scamp 19 should be 8'10" high. A 9' door should be fine. There is no way you are going to get it thru a 7' high door!
Thank you for the reply. I did email scamp and asked about the height of the 19 with the ac and both roof fans added. They said about 9 ft 8 inches. I think the brochure listed height is without any add ons. Hoping we can lower the 19 enough to get it through a 9 ft 3 inch door.
Old 09-06-2021, 08:58 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The Scamp 19 is available with two suspension heights, standard and 3” lift. Most newer pickups require the lift.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 09:04 AM   #5

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The Scamp 19 is available with two suspension heights, standard and 3” lift. Most newer pickups require the lift.
We'll have the 3 inch lift with a 2021 ford ranger.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:58 AM   #6

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
Several years ago I had a similar problem with a Casita SD 17 foot. The solution was to raise the garage door like you suggested. I then had to remove the 15 inch wheels/tires t and install 14 inch rims with no tires and back the camper in on OSB or plywood over the concrete floor. Keep in mind my camper is a bumper pull and you are talking about a fifth wheel type camper. The pivot point on my camper is my ball hitch which I was able to replace with a lower ball to keep the camper more level when backing into the garage. Your pivot point will be near the center of the rear axle so the high point of your camper may not necessarily get low enough to clear the garage door header.

Being able to keep a camper stored under cover or in a garage is extremely handy and helps preserve the camper fiberglass. Good luck.

Let us know your solution.
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:12 AM   #7
GOB

Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp 19
Missouri
19 foot Scamp storage

We bought a shelter from Carolina Shelters, there are plenty of manufactures out there. Probably cheaper than modifing the garage door and no need to swap wheels to park it. I think we paid $795 for ours.
GOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:18 AM   #8

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
GOB, that price is definitely less expensive than raising the header and installing new door panels, however, I enjoy doing mods in a heated garage over the winter. Keeps me out of trouble.

But you are correct, jacking up the trailer and swapping out tires/wheels is a pain but I'm getting quicker each time just in case I would have a camper flat on the road.
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:18 AM   #9

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
I went by this: https://scampowners.com/new-19-delux...ns-floor-plans
Mine is in the shop right now and I have not gotten to measuring my yet.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:20 AM   #10

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Just realize a "9 foot door" rarely has 9 feet of clearance. Measure the garage door opening at your home. Then raise the door and see how much clearance you have. Doors tend to hang down a bit, then they have the horizontal rails across the backside of the doors.

By the way, I had a door installed once for a low clearance opening. It had two tracks. One track held the lowest rollers on the door. The other track handled everything else. It was VERY close to the ceiling. Basically, I dug out a crawl space that had a relatively low ceiling, and needed the door as close as possible to the ceiling.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:42 AM   #11

Name: nancy
Trailer: 19' Scamp Deluxe
Tennessee
Registry
Good luck! Our lifted 19 foot is just under 11 feet tall when hooked up to our truck. I have a cover for it, and have explored how to get it under cover of a roof, but have not figured it our quite yet. Most of the add a carport type structures don't have an opening that tall.
nancyrnfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 11:22 AM   #12

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
Trust no internet information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperTime View Post
What is everyone's experience with fitting a 19 in a garage with a lower door? Could i put a 19 on smaller wheels to get it through or would 9 ft 3 inches still not be tall enough?Thanks!
Measure YOUR Scamp hooked up to YOUR truck and see how tall it is. No two Scamps are the same. I do not think A/C adds a lot to a 19', but they are already tall (but the loft fan will).
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 01:36 PM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Click image for larger version

Name:	41479B38-82ED-482E-AA56-B335B70B50F9.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	396.8 KB
ID:	143063We were set to order one of those metal carports a couple years ago but couldn't get it before winter. Built one ourselves, kept the size down so to avoid needing a building permit. Total cost, including the stone base was $1700.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 01:33 PM   #14

Name: Thaddeus
Trailer: scamp fifth wheel
MI
Garage Storage

We have a 19' Scamp fifth Wheel. I planned on a 9 ' door as Scamp advertised 8' 10" height for their unit. When I picked up, I quised them and they said that did not include the AC or loft fan. I had to remove the tires and set up some boggie dollys to get it inside. Once for that was enough. I was able to raise the headede and install a 10' high door to allow for backing in when I was done with the trip for storage and clean-up. I was very glad that I spent the dollars to be able to back it in with no tire change out. Well worth the investment.
Best of luck with the 10' ceiling height.
tvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 03:34 PM   #15

While I don’t have your problem because I sized my building to allow Scamp to fit, I have to manually move trailer into its storage position using 4 wheel dollies and a come along. What I’d suggest is put wheel dollies under wheels and under front landing gears. Move trailer into building up to axle, then using a jack to support front end of trailer collapse landing gear so front of trailer is low, pull it back using a come along,
barrry smithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 03:57 PM   #16

Name: Joe
Missouri
Great job! You do nice work. What are the dimensions of your RVport?
jdittrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 05:41 PM   #17

30x50 with 12’ door lh side of front, Scamp sets rh rear. If you were to remove wheels and use the wheel dollies, that would be about as low as you could go.
barrry smithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 11:05 PM   #18

Name: James
Wisconsin
9' 8" sounds pretty close for a raised 19' with A/C. I'm also planning on raising our back garage door opening up to 10' to fit ours inside. Unfortunately, there won't be room under the roof to simply raise the door rails and add another door panel. Probably why your door contractor could only install a 9' 3" door. I'll be looking at swing open, shed style doors.

FWIW: If you switch out the trailer AND truck wheels and tires for small wheels without tires I suppose you might fit it in under that 9' 3" door. Wonder if anyone is pulling a 19' low-rider style. That would be cool.
James Hoeppner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp