Scamp 5er right directional light not working - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #1

Name: Phil
Trailer: 2001 19' Scamp fifth wheel
California
Scamp 5er right directional light not working

I recently dragged my camper plug and wore it out so I replaced it with a new Bargeman 7 plug connector 6 outside plus the center exactly like the one that was on the trailer when I purchased it used. Upon inspection of my trailer lights I found my right directional is not working. The tail lights work I pulled the bulb and tested the contact and I have no power.

I looked under the chassis and inside the seat area for the wiring harness and did not see it. I purchased a hitch cargo platform and I am planning on running a flat 4 wire harness back to the cargo led lights my question is should I just bypass the original directional wire and run a new one off the flat 4?
Philmag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #2

California
I think I see what might be an issue, the fellow I purchased the trailer from towed it with a Dodge truck, I have a Toyota Tundra. The wiring diagram in the Scamp Manual says the following:

Green (TM) Tail lights and marker lights These work
Red (LT) Left turn and brake light These work
Brown (RT) Right turn and brake light These do not work
Black (S) Interior 12 volt lights and accessories Not sure about these all function
White (GD) Ground Assume this is working or no lights would work
Yellow (A) Brake lights (foreign stop) I need to check this location
Blue (Large connector Only) electric brakes I don't think these are working I have not investigated
Tomorrow I will have to go wire by wire and make sure these are all correct.
The things I see now that look like I have to change is the blue wire is connected to the upper right lug this should be in the center according to Scamp. The yellow wire is connected to the center this needs to go to the lower left lug. so on and so on. I guess I will start with this then see where I stand.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #3

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
The motto around here is: if it worked before I/We messed with it, the most likely cause of the present failure is our own work.

If the old connection worked, suspect your work in putting in the new one.

Ground is the usual culprit.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #4

California
I wish I could say it worked before I replaced the plug I know the brakes did not work so I suspect once I rewire I will sort out the issues. I had the same problem with my airstream once i went through each lug and corrected the wires all worked fine. I will post results tomorrow. I am just happy to have the Scamp wiring diagram in the manual!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:22 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The way I sometimes check what each wire is on a trailer is to use a spare car battery, hook the negative terminal to a known ground, then with a jumper wire hooked to the positive connect to each wire in the trailer harness and see what lights up. You should have a brake wire in your harness also. I installed lights on my rear mount bike rack, ran a whole new 4 wire cord up to the tongue, and made up a double plug connector, and another plug at the rear for when I don't use the bike rack. I also could have just wired in the rack harness to a single plug at the tongue and had the same thing, or I could have tapped into the trailer rear light wiring, just a matter of choice.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:12 PM   #6

California
I got it all correct and working, I tested everything with a car battery charger on the low 2AMP setting it worked well. The new trailer plug end needed the lugs bent in a little and I used the silicone electrical grease and that did the trick. I ran a 24' flat 4 connector wire through the Scamp frame and it works great for my LED hitch cargo lights. Next job is the new Scamp decals on the front and passenger front sides then my new door gasket set.

Tags
light, scamp