Scamp Acorn Nuts - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2009, 05:37 PM   #1

Name: Parker
Trailer: Escape 19
Ohio
Okay, Scamp Riveteers.....what's the story with the acorn nuts on this inside? I drilled a couple of rivets out while upgrading my converter and thought I would be able to re-use the acorn nuts. I even thought maybe they were something special, but it looks like an ordinary threaded nut that they pull the rivet into. Is it practical to try drilling these things out, or just replace along with the new rivet? I'm about to replace some on the roof, and now I'm thinking seriously about just using stainless bolts if I'm going to be buying acorn nuts anyway. By the way, I found the plastic screw caps at Ace Hdwe as suggested on there. They're not identical to Scamp's, but close enough...especially considering that I could walk in and buy a handful.

Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:12 PM   #2

Ohio
Update.....I tried drilling the old rivet body out of the acorn nut, which didn't really work all that well. Not worth the price of a new nut to mess with it. I also determined that it's a 1/4-20. So, it seems to me that those replacing rivets with bolts must be using something like a #8 or #10 and doing away with the acorn nut, or at least using something quite a bit smaller. Correct? If so, I'll probably stick with rivets and new acorn nuts.

Parker
Old 10-05-2009, 09:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
I'm not sure what your technique was but this is how I replaced my rivets.

Drilled inside of the rivet from the outside until the collar was separated. Pulled it through from the inside by grabbing the acorn nut.

This is what you want to know - At this point I just grabbed the body of the rivet with a vice-grips and used a wrench to unscrew the acorn nut. I only had one out of all of them that didn't screw right off. Once you get it started it usually could be unscrewed with just my hand.

I hope that helps.

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:44 AM   #4

Ohio
Quote:
- At this point I just grabbed the body of the rivet with a vice-grips and used a wrench to unscrew the acorn nut. I only had one out of all of them that didn't screw right off. Once you get it started it usually could be unscrewed with just my hand.

I hope that helps.
Bryan,

I tried that and couldn't get it to budge without twisting off the stem of the rivet, but I'll try it on another one and see what happens. After reading all the info that comes up on a search for "rivets" I think I'll stick with them. Hopefully I can re-use at least some of the nuts.

Thanks,
Parker
Old 10-06-2009, 07:04 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Parker
On my current Scamp project I replaced the larger rivets with 10-24 pan head stainless screws. I used a cap and sealer on the outside and a flat washer and nylock nut on the inside. I have an ensolite liner and if course 1/2" screws were a little short and 3/4" screws were a little too long so I have ordered some 5/8" screws.
I found acorn nuts to be very expensive relitive to other options especially the stainless ones. Also with nylock nuts you can better control pressure on the fiberglass verses using lock washers with acorn nuts. Also if you your screw threads extend to far you can dab just a small amount of clear silicone to cover any exposed threads.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #6

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500

I bought acorn nuts off E-bay got like a 100 stainless steel ones very reasonable, also bought the bolts there...i bought the white caps from Scamp man they were pricey compared to the rest...Maybe this will help you out........
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:13 PM   #7

Ohio
Quote:
I bought acorn nuts off E-bay got like a 100 stainless steel ones very reasonable, also bought the bolts there...i bought the white caps from Scamp man they were pricey compared to the rest...Maybe this will help you out........
Good ole ebay. I'll see what I can find there. I got the white caps and bases from Ace Hardware. They're not exactly like the originals, so I'm still tempted to buy some from Scamp. The Ace ones stick up a little higher and have a textured finish. And of course the base is different as well.

You mentioned buying bolts on ebay as well. Sounds like you're replacing at least some of the rivets with bolts. I'm planning to stick with rivets for now, but I certainly see advantages to the bolts.

Thanks for posting!
Parker
Old 10-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13 ft
Parker
I bought caps and bases from a company called Pro-Dec. They fit the Scamp bases perfect. I ordered the 8/8 and the 12/12. For the 12/12 base I ordered the one with the large hole. If you order $10.00 worth the shipping is free. The service was extremely fast. Here's the link www.Pro-Dec.com Check the forum under snap caps there is more information.
EdD
Ed D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #9

Ohio
Quote:
Parker
I bought caps and bases from a company called Pro-Dec. They fit the Scamp bases perfect. I ordered the 8/8 and the 12/12. For the 12/12 base I ordered the one with the large hole. If you order $10.00 worth the shipping is free. The service was extremely fast. Here's the link www.Pro-Dec.com Check the forum under snap caps there is more information.
EdD
Awesome! I'll order some tomorrow. Thanks, Ed.

Parker

Tags
scamp