Scamp closet rivets too tight? - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-23-2018, 03:06 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Scamp closet rivets too tight?

I have a 2013 scamp 13 and the 2 rivets for the closet seem to be so tight that they are causing a large indentation on the outside of the scamp, the indentations are about 8" in diameter around each rivet. Is this normal or was the person putting my scamp together just super strong lol.

Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:58 AM   #2

Name: p@
Trailer: Casita
South Carolina
Registry
”tight” rivets

As far as I know there is really no control over how tight a rivet is set. The rivet is designed to break at a certain pressure point when installing. I’ve never seen an adjustable rivet gun. I’d suspect that your issue is a result of a thin spot in the fiberglass. Now, this is my guess and there may be more knowledgeable rivet experts that may be able to shed more light on the situation.

p@

patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:35 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I have a few areas where the shell is pulled in by the rivets, but none as drastic as yours.

However I did see one like that at Scamp in Backus yesterday and I was surprised how deep the indentation was. If the camper was new, I might worry about the thickness and strength of the shell. But since your's has been OK for about five years I would not worry about it unless I started to see cracking.
gordon2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:39 AM   #4

IL
Gordon, that is what I am thinking also, but I thought I would just put it out there to see if anyone has had a similar experience. I think a lot of the work scamp does is more art than science so there is a lot of variation in the way things are done and tolerances etc. I don't see any stress in the gel coat or anything in those two areas. By now i'm sure the fiberglass has bent slightly in that area and taken on the shape so its not under constant tension.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:18 AM   #5

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
What you see is normal. the angle of view, the source and angle of the light, the ambient temperature, direct sun or shade, these are just some of the things which can affect your perception of or actual variations in the surface.
This happens to just about everything. Take a look at your reflection in a store window... sadly not all that warpage is the window's fault!

floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:42 AM   #6

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
It's not likely, but make sure the closet walls aren't changing position. I can see where it would be posible in mine. It would not take much to show on the exterior.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:12 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If it really bothers you that much, take the rivet out and put a shim between the closet and the shell. Might be able to trim some excess rat fur from under the rear compartments to make a rat fur shim. Take a strip and fold it in half and use an old credit card to push it under the rivet flange of the closet. Take an awl to make the hole line up with the old rivet hole. Replace the rivet remembering to use the snap cap base and a little bit of sealer and the trim nut on the inside.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:20 PM   #8

IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
If it really bothers you that much, take the rivet out and put a shim between the closet and the shell. Might be able to trim some excess rat fur from under the rear compartments to make a rat fur shim. Take a strip and fold it in half and use an old credit card to push it under the rivet flange of the closet. Take an awl to make the hole line up with the old rivet hole. Replace the rivet remembering to use the snap cap base and a little bit of sealer and the trim nut on the inside.
I was more worried about it putting too much stress on the fiberglass, seems like most of you don't think it does and I don't see any stress fractures or cracks in the gel coat so i'll just leave it alone.

Tags
scamp