Scamp Curtains - Dark? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #1

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1996 Scamp 16
South Dakota
Scamp Curtains - Dark?

The Scamp we just purchased came with 1996 vintage curtains that were cream with yellowing. After washing them they smell and still have yellow stains. We would like to purchase new curtains. I have looked at the curtains on the Scamp website. The blue ones look nice.
We are considering purchasing from Scamp or having a friend make curtains using room darkening material. Does anyone have the newer Scamp curtains and can you comment on how well they darken the room?

---------
1996 Scamp 16
HighPlainsDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #2

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
They are worth replacing with something else then from Scamp. Keep in mind Scamps curtains come with light rods that bend or fly off in transport.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Curtains are very easy to make. Having a friend make them is a good idea. You might ask your friend help in picking out the fabric. Room darkening material might not be necessary is you plan on camping away from city lights.
We made ours from a cabin type print. But there's lots of fabric to choose from, either on line or even at your local WalMart.
Our original curtains faded in less than 3 months.

Comments on curtain rods. There no reason for curtain rods to bend if a little care is used. The keep them in place I squeezed the holders a bit more closed with my fingers. The curtain rods have stay put for about 6 years except when take the curtains down to wash them.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter View Post
The Scamp we just purchased came with 1996 vintage curtains that were cream with yellowing. After washing them they smell and still have yellow stains. We would like to purchase new curtains. I have looked at the curtains on the Scamp website. The blue ones look nice.
We are considering purchasing from Scamp or having a friend make curtains using room darkening material. Does anyone have the newer Scamp curtains and can you comment on how well they darken the room?
If your original curtains came clean enough to use for the purpose, they make excellent liners when sewn behind new curtains in a pattern of your choice.We did that with ours when they were new and here is the result...
(Click on the picture for a larger view)
Notice the bright sunlight through both layers on the curtain on the back window.
Attached Thumbnails
Eggy-Sue inside 004.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #5

South Dakota
Thanks Floyd. Can you tell me more about those mini blinds in the photo? Where did you get them and how did you attach them? I prefer blinds over curtains, but I have never seen standard sizes that small and I don't like the idea of putting holes in my egg.

---------
1996 Scamp 16
Old 07-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
to add to byron's comments on curtain rods... you can also use small clear zipties to fasten the rod to the holder - easily to cut off and replace for the few times you need to remove the curtains.

as for curtains - we simply used a heavier fabric (from Ikea) and doubled it - it darkens the camper enough that it's tough to tell how light it is out.
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #7

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
My curtains do not do much darkening, thin red cloth. And they don't add complete privacy either.

But I have reflectix cut to shape of each window, they let me sleep in in relative darkness and keep out the heat of the morning sun, and keep things warmer at night. Curtains are nice, but the reflectix is what shuts my windows for reals.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:16 AM   #8

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
ok,,,this might put me undr suspicion,,, but ,,, lovely curtains floyd.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:09 AM   #9

South Dakota
I like the reflectix idea. That is a great way to block light without making it dark all the time. I am also still thinking mini blinds may be nice. Does anyone have a good source for mini blinds that are the right size for a Scamp? Also how do you attach them?

---------
1996 Scamp 16
Old 07-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
ok,,,this might put me undr suspicion,,, but ,,, lovely curtains floyd.
Not at all, I like them too, Deb is also the author of the matching handmade quilt and pillow covers. Thanks for the kind words.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter View Post
Thanks Floyd. Can you tell me more about those mini blinds in the photo? Where did you get them and how did you attach them? I prefer blinds over curtains, but I have never seen standard sizes that small and I don't like the idea of putting holes in my egg.
I am sorry but I can't recall exactly where we bought them, but it was something common and frugal ,like WalMart, Menards, etc.
They are aluminum, and are attached to the underside of the cabinets.
If you wanted to attach them through the shell without any new holes, you could drill out the curtain brackets and then reinstall them with a piece of 1/4" plywood and longer rivets. That would then provide inside attachment points for the blinds without new "through the shell" attachment points.

Oh! I forgot to mention, we used electrical crimp fasteners under the bottom window screws to hook the blinds back against the window when in use.Also here is a photo of the attachment...
Attached Thumbnails
Pic009.JPG  
Old 07-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #12

South Dakota
Thanks Floyd for the suggestions. I like the idea of drilling out and securing plywood as a mount. I really don't want to put any new holes in my Scamp. I am sure it is fine but for me less holes means less chance of water or body damage. I am new owner though so maybe a year from now I will be singing a different song.

---------
1996 Scamp 16
Old 07-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #13

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Our Egg Camper came with mini blinds and we're ditching them as soon as my wife makes curtains. I hope they'll darken the trailer enough. When I'm sleeping I like it DARK.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #14

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I rather like the curtains that came with our new Scamp. They let in just enough light to be pleasant during the day and block out the neighbors' view in at night. Being a seamstress, I did not like the unfinished edges so I folded those under, stitched them down, making finished edges. The fabric is a synthetic not commonly found in home fabric stores such as JoAnne's. The interior of the Scamp often is damp when in warm weather during the day and cold weather at night. The synthetic material makes sense under damp conditions as it will not easily get moldy or rot easily. Some fabric shower curtains are similar to this fabric.

I did not like the way the curtains hung away from the wall and interfered with my head when I was seated at the dinette. I made curtain "tie-backs" which are attached to the rat fur with the hook end of Velcro. I now can pull back the curtains to reveal an open window when I like.

We too, wanted to black out our windows. After a few attempts I came up with the best solution for us. I made flat window covers (shades) out of Ron-Loc, an insulating, block out fabric available at JoAnne's. It is sold as a curtain liner. When cut, the edges do not unravel. I made a 1" tube at the top through which I put the original Scamp curtain rod. I folded under the bottom edge about 1", sewed it down for reinforcement and attached 3 short pieces of the hook side of Velcro. I placed the rod ends through the wall side of the rod holder (not on the rod holder itself). When using the shade it hangs down from the rod and the bottom edge is attached with Velcro to the rat fur. When I want the shade out of the way I simply roll it by hand onto the top rod and attach the Velcro to the rat fur on the top. This solution worked fine for the side windows. On the back window I had to roll the shade on the rod from the top down because there is not enough space to store the rolled up shade on the top of the window. My upper cabinet is in the way. When the shade is rolled down I simply fasten it with two lengths of hook-end Velcro to the rat fur. Note: We found that cold air would stream down our heads at the side window when we were in bed. I attached a continuous long stretch of Velcro on the bottom of that window shade thereby solving that problem.

I purchased new cafe curtain rods which have a large finial on each end and fit more snugly in the Scamp rod holders so they do not fall off in transit. On these new rods I hang the curtains.

I have fun making new curtain panels and placing them on the outside edges of my Scamp curtains. I always line the panels so the fabric will not fade easily. I generally use 100% cotton or a cotton blend simply because that is what is most available.

The photos I've attached show my first attempt in making Ron-Loc shades. I will post new photos, as I take them, at a later date.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 010.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 019.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 012.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp