Scamp cushion foam - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2010, 12:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Boler (Orange Sunrise 'Clementine')
Registry
It seems that quite a few people have ordered foam from Scamp to replace the foam on the Boler. I just called and found they would charge $150-200 just for shipping! Has that always been the case? I can't figure out why that would be. How is it I can order a queen sized foam topper from overstock.com and get shipping for $1?

Back to the drawing board.
Amy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Go on craigslist and buy the foam..(aka mattress toppers) you can use my cushions as a templet if you need

Quote:
It seems that quite a few people have ordered foam from Scamp to replace the foam on the Boler. I just called and found they would charge $150-200 just for shipping! Has that always been the case? I can't figure out why that would be. How is it I can order a queen sized foam topper from overstock.com and get shipping for $1?

Back to the drawing board.
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Maybe Scamp does not have a good way to "super roll" the foam, and so, as a bigger bundle, it has to go truck freight (always more expensive).

I would buy foam at either a nearby foam outlet (so you can test it out), or by mail order. I've used foamsweetfoam.com and they (for example) had free shipping.

The nice thing about either of these two methods is that you have a choice of firmness and density; you can get what *you* like. (And probably avoid truck freight too.)

It's not at all hard to cut the foam to size with a cheap electric turkey knife. The one piece of advice I've used is to cut it slightly oversized compared to your final, covered size, so that it "plumps" up the covers. Not too much, obviously. If you have a local foam place, they may well cut it to size for you if you bring them a pattern or the old foam.

On the firmness and density: Firmness is just like it sounds. Density is separate, and is... well, density , but it's kind of like how heavy and "quality" the foam is. A denser foam will last longer (decades if it's really good quality).

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:46 PM   #4

Registry
There is actually a wholesaler nearby that sells all kinds of stuff for upholstery for boats and such. They have a pretty good deal on good foam and have all the other things I need as well (upholstery zippers, thread, dacron batting). They were very helpful on the phone, said they could cut me smaller sizes of the sheets of foam, etc. Here is their website if anyone is interested: http://www.perfectfit.com/

The woman I talked to about doing my cushion covers has experience doing boat cushions, and she said she could easily cut the foam. (Brandy, if you are looking for someone to do upholstery for your Scamp, she seems like a really good deal.)

Now my biggest hangup is that my house roof seems to be leaking! It is the year of leaks! I think that needs to take precedence, darn it. Cushions may have to wait for a while. Or maybe I should move to Arizona.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Best place I've found online for foam. Shipping was very reasonable.
Rochford Supply
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Perris Pacer
If you need the whole job done (covers included,) the cost from Scamp is really pretty reasonable even considering shipping. Decent upholstery fabric is $15-20/yd plus labor, and foam ain't exactly cheap either. And after all the leg work, sourcing materials, and days/weeks worth of running around is done, you might save $50-100 and still won't have the factory fit and finish of the "real" thing. Sometimes it's better to just bite the bullet.

Just my $.02.
Angelo F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:50 PM   #7

Quote:
[b]If you need the whole job done (covers included,) the cost from Scamp is really pretty reasonable even considering shipping. Decent upholstery fabric is $15-20/yd plus labor, and foam ain't exactly cheap either. And after all the leg work, sourcing materials, and days/weeks worth of running around is done, you might save $50-100 [b]and still won't have the factory fit and finish of the "real" thing. Sometimes it's better to just bite the bullet.

Just my $.02.
I would agree on the first part, which is that the covers/foam from Scamp can be a reasonable purchase, cost and effort wise; but I don't agree on the last part. I think any cushion covers made by a decent upholsterer (or good owner/seamster) will be every bit as good as the "real thing," if not better. (Of course this won't hold true for a shoddy job.)

Scamp's fabric selection is pretty limited, and as far as I know you only have one foam option. If that's what you happen to like, then it's great; but some folks might like to choose their own fabrics, and their own grade of foam. If they do (or have done) a good job, I would think they'd likely be better than the Scamp cushions (which are necessarily done to a budget and with a limited selection).

So, not to bash the Scamp cushions and fabric, as I think they can be a good deal if they suit you; but I don't think implying that they are the only "real thing" is accurate, in my opinion.

Raya
Old 01-25-2010, 07:45 PM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Perris Pacer
I don't disagree with that, I'm just saying... Unless you're getting a "hook-up" deal from a good upholsterer, expecting something equal to or better than OG quality for less money than Scamp charges is somewhat unrealistic. Of course I'm assuming from the first post that the OP is kind of on a budget here.
Angelo F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:10 PM   #9

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I replaced all the foam from Rochford that I listed above and got the entire set of Scamp covers for my 13er from Scamp 4 years ago. Everything including shipping for all of it, foam and cushions, was around $430, which as Angelo says if your on a budget is going to be darn hard to beat.
While you can definitely find some more alternatives on fabrics looking for a custom set of covers, unless it's Cousin Betty the seamstress, it probably will cost a good bit more then the Scamp route. I do remember even 4 years ago the shipping for the covers with the foam from Scamp was ridiculous. Much better to find your foam elsewhere.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:09 PM   #10

Just to clarify: My point was not that buying your own foam and having covers made was necessarily going to be cheaper; but more that doing so would not necessarily be inferior to the "real thing," as was stated in the post. As if by going to an upholstery shop and having custom covers made, with foam you chose, could somehow never be as good as Scamp's product.

As far as your own foam/fabric being cheaper, well, you would have to compare the prices in your own area (or online for foam) in order to know.

For me the Scamp foam and cushions wouldn't be an option, because I don't like the plaid, and I prefer firm/dense foam; but that's just me and has no bearing on what is good or bad.

Raya
Old 01-25-2010, 10:00 PM   #11

Registry
I will check out the prices at Rochford. I know I am not going the cheapest route, probably. But none of the Scamp fabric options are at all pleasing to me. I lucked out and got 10 (or was it 12?) yards of chocolate brown microsuede upholstery fabric for about $100, and the upholsterer I am talking to is being very reasonable ($180 to do all the cushions except the top bunk, which is a whole lot better than the $600 I was quoted by another seamstress). So I am hoping that, all said, I will end up with something we are really happy with for not much more than the stock Scamp items.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:49 PM   #12

Registry
Just adding for Greg A: it still looks like Rochford has great deals on foam. In fact, they said that they recently lowered their prices on polyurethane. Maybe because oil prices went down? They do charge quite a bit for shipping, but it still ends up costing less than the wholesaler near me. So thanks for that referral.

And Raya: I know you were looking into latex foam. Rochford doesn't carry that, but they do carry soy foam for almost the same price as polyurethane. I think I might pursue this as a middle-ground option. They also will send samples of the many firmnesses and densities they carry.

Tags
scamp