Scamp door - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2015, 01:38 PM   #1

Name: Lee
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
Registry
Scamp door

Has any one replace the curved door on a scamp with a square one. Our door has so much wrong with it for me to fix and I can't find any one to repair it. I thought if I could square out the door frame and rebuild one or even buy a door it would save me a lot of time. Thanks Lee
Lee Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:00 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You're looking at LOTSA work there pal. You'll be modifying pretty heavily on the door frame area to conquer the curves of the Scamp. If you attempt this, please keep us posted as I would LOVE to see the mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Mansfield View Post
Has any one replace the curved door on a scamp with a square one. Our door has so much wrong with it for me to fix and I can't find any one to repair it. I thought if I could square out the door frame and rebuild one or even buy a door it would save me a lot of time. Thanks Lee
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:01 PM   #3

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I second that. The shape of both the door and that of the shell may not be what it was when built, so a factory replacement is probably out of the question. I understand how tempted you might be to use a flat door, but it would require quite some modifications to the whole thing. I would investigate if the existing door sandwich could be taken apart and then shaped to match the Scamp shell and glued back together. Somebody here posted about replacing the wood core with rigid foam. It would be lighter and better insulated. Search the forum for door projects. Good luck.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:13 PM   #4

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp - "The Haunted Mansion" (13') and TBD (16')
Colorado
Registry
We have the same problem, but if you look in the Document Center on the forum here, there is a great tutorial on how to fix the door. That's what we are going to use.

One thing that a lot of posts have said is to check for sag in the trailer's walls. A lot of times that's the problem and not necessarily the door. Ours has a combo of both...it had a severe water leak, so the core of fiber board is toast. We will be cutting ours open and rebuilding an internal frame and replace the fiber board with the insulating foam. It's bound to be a lot lighter!

Definitely share your photos! Makes us feel like we aren't going out alone!

Good luck!
Sohkraites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:36 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Years ago, someone did replace the door with a regular RV door. Looked kinda funky as it stuck out, rather than inset. I'll see if I can find a picture.

The Play-Mor-II has an inset flat door and it's a 13' trailer.

I suppose anything is possible if you're willing to throw enough time and effort into the project. It's the final result that determines success.
Attached Thumbnails
Play_Mor_II.jpg  
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:30 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Looking at that picture makes me wonder what will happen when a strong gust of wind blows the door toward the front of the trailer.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:17 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You brought up something that makes me think of another point Jon. Not that it makes a nickel's worth of difference but that design.... Laminar Airflow. Out of curiosity, I'd LOVE to know if that will/would make a difference in gas mileage because you have now created an airpocket and will interrupt what aviation engineering calls "Laminar airflow". Then there's been arguments stating whether to leave the tailgate up or down. So, it may create a pocket of air then ride over it as they say "tailgate up" situations do. Anyway...just an interesting thought to me.

I believe the larger Casitas do this? I like the flat door personally! It would SURE eliminate a lot of the "seal" problems the rest of us face.

As far as "strengthening" the curved doors, someone in our Scampers group made a magazine rack from oak and built it into the door which also structurally keeps the "curve" there.... very neat and looked very professional! (More weight though )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Looking at that picture makes me wonder what will happen when a strong gust of wind blows the door toward the front of the trailer.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:17 AM   #8

Georgia
Registry
pictures

My wife is the one who does internet and pictures. Jo has tried to down load pictures for the last hour with no results. We have had several web pages for 10 years with our Alpaca Farm and never a problem with pictures so it must be so different she is missing out on something. Jo will select a picture from desk top and think she finally has it and then nothing. I have read other folks have trouble also. Jo wants to change our main picture and that doesn't work either even after she makes it smaller. Any one want to give a fast lesson on how to do both and then we can add pictures of our pool old Scamp door. Thanks for all your help Lee and JO
Old 01-30-2015, 09:24 AM   #9

Georgia
Registry
pictures of our door

Trying again with pictures JO
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2091.JPG   DSCN2092.JPG  

Old 01-30-2015, 11:05 AM   #10

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Looking at the pictures the door looks a little rough but certainly not a total loss. Can't imagine how modifying the shell to accept a flat door would be easier than a door repair, at least from the door pictures.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:52 AM   #11

Georgia
Registry
Lee just measured the body and it is only off a little so he wants to just try and fix the door . Lee is a retired auto tech. and seems to have to have a tool in his hands all the time. I told him if he didn't stop soon I might put our new toy up for sale. Want to take our two trips and then we will see. Right now no leaks not even the door. This camper was a mess when we bought it. We washed the whole inside and painted it. Too old for bunk beds so made a nice couch and have TV trays to eat on if we even cook in it . The dinette table was rotten so Lee made a new one and also laid a pc of ply wood over it. Placed a nice foam mattress on it. Replaced all the rivets just to be safe and a new floor. Made covers for the working gas stove and sink for counter space. All new curtains. Decals removed and we will start painting the out side in the next two wks when the weather permits. Here are some before and after pictures. Jo
Attached Thumbnails
before kitchen.jpg   before  bunk.jpg  

after couch.JPG   before dinette.jpg  

after just bed  (1).JPG  
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2015, 12:13 PM   #12

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Wow! Really looking good.

If it don't leak no reason not to use it, on the other hand I know if I put all that work into making it nice having one thing "not finished" would be like having a pebble in my shoe. Impossible to ignore and downright uncomfortable.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp