Scamp Door Lock Problem - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #1

Name: Josh
Trailer: Scamp 13
Utah
Scamp Door Lock Problem

I am sorting out all of the issues before it starts to get cold as my wife and I will be full time come spring.

One of the issues I have is the lock on the door of the Scamp. If you take out the two screws on the handle you can just turn the handle and you are in the Scamp. I understand that thieves are going to get in if they really want to but I am hoping to have it take longer than 5 seconds and a screwdriver to get in. What are my options to have a bit more of a robust lock on the '83 Scamp?

Sorry all of the pictures are sideways but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
lock2.JPG   lock3.jpg  

lock1.jpg  
jeckel30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Use 2 longer bolts and on the inside after you install the nut, burr up the threads that extend past the nut. This will prevent the nut from coming off should someone try to unscrew the bolt.

I'm sure that most will not like my next suggestion. I went to Tractor Sopply and purchased 2 chrome plated (Keyed) hasps. I installed the male side of the hasp(s) sp it could lock the fmale side of the hasp in both the open and locked postiion. As the hasp is keyed, I can lock it closed and also lock it open so someone can not lock me in.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #3

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
How about a "security" screw? Say a "TORX" machine screw with a pin in the depression in the screw head; takes a special TORX bit with a hole in the center to receive the pin. I have no idea of a source. Try Granger.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
By the way, that looks like a garage door handle and not what originally came with the Scamp and those locks can be picked easier than picking your nose so securing the bolts may not matter anyway.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:48 PM   #5

Name: Josh
Trailer: Scamp 13
Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
By the way, that looks like a garage door handle and not what originally came with the Scamp and those locks can be picked easier than picking your nose so securing the bolts may not matter anyway.
What should I switch it with?
jeckel30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Doesn't matter what you put on as a door handle... I have one just like you've got... a garage door handle. It would be just as simple to remove the two hinge bolts in the hinges and the door will open from the opposite side.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:56 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Donna your so smart - I hadnt actually thought of that - one more reason I can forget about changed my door knob! The other one is that its kind of nice that its not a big deal to get into the trailer when I loose or forget a key!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #8

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeckel30 View Post
I am sorting out all of the issues before it starts to get cold as my wife and I will be full time come spring.

One of the issues I have is the lock on the door of the Scamp. If you take out the two screws on the handle you can just turn the handle and you are in the Scamp. I understand that thieves are going to get in if they really want to but I am hoping to have it take longer than 5 seconds and a screwdriver to get in. What are my options to have a bit more of a robust lock on the '83 Scamp?

Sorry all of the pictures are sideways but you get the idea.

If you plan on full timing, then perhaps a better door lock would be an asset.
When we bought our old Boler a few years ago, the Bargman door latch was completely frozen. I removed it and replaced it with a standard aluminum-screen-door type latch/lock that I got at a local RV parts place. It has a key lock for the outside and came with 2 keys, and a sliding tab on the inside that allows us to lock it from the inside at night, similar to a screen door on a house. It has worked great, is very secure and does not release when travelling, and cost about $20. It solves the problem of locking from the inside, without any chance that it will lock by accident. Even if it did, it could be opened from the outside using the key.

You can see a picture of my door lock on page 191 of the GO RV catalogue under item #46096 ("Door Latch with lock"). http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalo...mp;pageNum=191

As for the hinge bolts, that is an issue. You could conceivably deform the threads at the bottom so they cannot be removed, but then you also can't remove them for maintenance. It should be possible to drill a hole in the bolts (or buy bolts with holes drilled already), and put in a lock or cotter pin to discourage disassembly. Also, Loc-tite on the nut would make it harder to disassemble, but not impossible in the future.

Good luck

Rick in Edmonton
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:30 AM   #9

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I've got one like that that came from a truck topper. How about those screws they use in the bathrooms at Wal mart? they have funny heads and you can't unscrew them.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
This swings shut with no effort and has a deadbolt with a thumb switch inside
10 bucks from E-Bay....
Attached Thumbnails
door latch 002.jpg   June 2009 115.jpg  

June 2009 116.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp