Scamp Dual Propane Tank Upgrade - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2016, 09:47 PM   #1

Name: Travis
Trailer: Scamp
Alberta
Scamp Dual Propane Tank Upgrade

Hello!

I pick up a new 13' Scamp this May! Most of my ordering decisions have been from days of scouring these forums. It is a goldmine of information thanks to everyone that posts here. My wife and I are moving on from a Westfalia camper-van.

My tow vehicle is currently a Honda Element which cannot handle a heavy tongue weight so when ordering I decided to go for the single #20 propane tank.

I am looking to inquire how easy it is if I want to switch to dual #20 pound tanks once I upgrade my tow vehicle?

Is there any reason to have my order changed to make the eventual upgrade easier?

I like to camp into the late fall in the Canadian Rockies and the furnace will get heavy use and eventually like to have more available propane.

Thanks again!

- Travis

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Travis in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:30 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis in Canada View Post
Hello!

I pick up a new 13' Scamp this May! Most of my ordering decisions have been from days of scouring these forums. It is a goldmine of information thanks to everyone that posts here. My wife and I are moving on from a Westfalia camper-van.

My tow vehicle is currently a Honda Element which cannot handle a heavy tongue weight so when ordering I decided to go for the single #20 propane tank.

I am looking to inquire how easy it is if I want to switch to dual #20 pound tanks once I upgrade my tow vehicle?

Is there any reason to have my order changed to make the eventual upgrade easier?

I like to camp into the late fall in the Canadian Rockies and the furnace will get heavy use and eventually like to have more available propane.

Thanks again!

- Travis
Welcome to the group Travis. Not sure if Scamp bolts or welds the tank holder to the frame but as you're looking at a tug upgrade in the future I'd have them install the standard dual tank setup and just run one tank. The standard dual LP tank regulator can be used with only one bottle connected. You would be set up for later with no changes other than loading the other tank. IMO, I wouldn't change the order.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:37 PM   #3

Alberta
Thanks for the welcome Borrego Dave.

I did think about that option to have it all installed for dual but just use a single tank, I was just a tad concerned about the uneven weight distribution on the tongue...sorta new to towing and still trying to get my bearings around the whole idea of weight distribution.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:19 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
I don't think having a tank off center will make any difference to the trailer. It's a minimal side move and it's still in the center area of the foot print. If it was me, I would mount it on the opposite side from the refer just cuz. Not that it would make a big change but it seems that these trailers are a bit heavier on the kitchen side.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:09 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hello Travis and welcome to the forum. I added dual tanks to my first trailer with a holder I bought at the local RV place. I attached it to the frame with u bolts I made out of thread rod. To work it does require both tanks be on the holder. I also had to move the battery. On our current trailer I have only one tank. I keep track of use and get it filled before I run out. Using a fridge and cook top, a filling will last quite some time (weeks). The furnace is the heavy user (days). Good luck, Raz
Attached Thumbnails
1457435322626.jpg  
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:41 AM   #6

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Universal propane shelf

We make something that might work for you later..

You could be the first to put one on a Scamp.
Universal propane tank shelf

Cheers,
Jim
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:20 AM   #7

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
May be to late to change the order. The holder is welded on when the frame is made.
Ken in Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:26 AM   #8

Alberta
Well I will give Eveland's a call this morning to see if it's to late to change the order.

If it is to late I will just have to go the aftermarket route with some of the holders that have been suggested. I really like the looks of that cabinet too.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:45 AM   #9

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Hello Travis and welcome to the forum. I added dual tanks to my first trailer with a holder I bought at the local RV place. I attached it to the frame with u bolts I made out of thread rod. To work it does require both tanks be on the holder. I also had to move the battery. On our current trailer I have only one tank. I keep track of use and get it filled before I run out. Using a fridge and cook top, a filling will last quite some time (weeks). The furnace is the heavy user (days). Good luck, Raz
Actually, you could use this tank holder with one tank only, I believe. I would try to cut a piece of scrap wood to support one side of the tank clamping bar. I have never done it, it is just an idea, so before driving off, I would yank on it very hard to test it.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:10 AM   #10

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Perhaps I'll meet you there when I pick up my trailer on May 4th. I also had last minute thoughts and upgraded to a Group 27 battery. Now I'll never have second thoughts about it.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:49 PM   #11

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Another idea is to get the dual tank set up from Scamp and use smaller lighter dual tanks such as the following. Somewhat expensive, but far less than a new tow vehicle. No sure how old you are, but even a 20 lb steel propane tank is heavy to handle for some older people.

(Found on Amazon):

Worthington 299889 10-Pound Aluminum Propane Cylinder With Type 1 With Overflow Prevention Device Valve

or this

(also Amazon)

Lightweight Composite Propane Tank
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:51 PM   #12

Alberta
I talked to Jim at Eveland's today and advised that I can just pick up the hardware to add the second tank when I pick up the Scamp.

Apparently it just bolts on (no welding involved).

Herons...ill miss you by a couple weeks I am picking ours up on May 16th! I went with the larger battery too, seems like the way to go.

Rzrbrn...Those aluminum or composite tanks do look great, quite pricey though. If the Canadian dollar ever gets better I may have to splurge a bit and pick a couple up

Old 03-08-2016, 07:12 PM   #13

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Travis, Yes I can't quite justify the cost either, ut if I wind the lottery......
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:33 PM   #14

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I bought a single tank Scamp because I was worried about tongue weight.. I think maybe I should have ordered the dual tank holder. Then, if the hardware required two tanks, carry the second tank empty. I'm not a fan of any auto-transfer however. I can switch tanks manually when needed.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:07 PM   #15

Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
single 33 lb tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I bought a single tank Scamp because I was worried about tongue weight.. I think maybe I should have ordered the dual tank holder. Then, if the hardware required two tanks, carry the second tank empty. I'm not a fan of any auto-transfer however. I can switch tanks manually when needed.
Does any one ever use a single 33 lb tank on a Scamp? I think it is the same diameter, taller, and holds up to 8 gallons instead of 5.
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:17 PM   #16

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by zack sc View Post
Does any one ever use a single 33 lb tank on a Scamp? I think it is the same diameter, taller, and holds up to 8 gallons instead of 5.
I think the reason you rarely see them on the small fiberglass campers is the weight (when full) and size. Some of those tanks are reinforced resin-glass and are lighter than the steel ones (when empty). But more important may be that there are many places you can trade the standard size, e.g. Walmart, supermarkets, etc. With the non-standard size you have to find a place that will refill it for you.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, scamp