Scamp Electric Water Pumps - Electricity Hog? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2020, 02:55 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Scamp Electric Water Pumps - Electricity Hog?

From my last battery adventures (which I figured out with help from this community) I am now wondering about the electric water pump in our 2020 13' Scamp. I was rigging up an outdoor shower hose to see if I could get it ready for an upcoming trip and used the pump several times (8-10x maybe 10-30sec each time?) and then decided to check the battery's voltage since I was doing a few other things and it was 12.7V the other day and was now down to 12.5V after shower set up. So either I am still sensitive from the last battery drain or the water does suck up a lot of electricity. Would anyone have any insights to share? Thanks!

Is there a way to have both a manual pump and an electric and then be able to use whichever?
MSFrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:06 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Thats why using voltage to check the battery state of charge is a challenge. Voltage will drop when there is a load. Voltage will drop after the surface charge from charging dissipates (in a few hours). Nothing sounds unusual in your scenario. 12.5 is still about fully charged depending on when the reading is taken.

Instead of going by voltage alone, I keep track of current (used and replaced).

As for the pump, I am sure it can be done. Have not seen it myself. Check valves to protect the hand pump when the tank is pressurized should be used I think.

How many showers do you get from the onboard tank? Two maybe?
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:51 PM   #3

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Energy hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSFrancis View Post

Is there a way to have both a manual pump and an electric and then be able to use whichever?
I do not know why not, just tap in the hand pump before the electric.
And yes it is an energy hog, I think both pumps are the same, and the drain pump says 7.5 amps. Thankfully they are not used for long.
Attached Thumbnails
drainpump.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 02:34 AM   #4

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
The Scamp 13 has a 12-gallon freshwater tank? So running flat-out a Shurflo 4008 (not sure if that's the exact model, but I don't think efficiency varies much among them) will empty that in 4 minutes having used 0.5Ah of power out of the 40Ah or so usable (draining to 50%) a group 27 battery generally has. So, only a tiny dent in it. You'd have to fill and empty the tanks multiple times to really have much impact. Even if efficiency drops off badly at partial load, it's still maybe 5% of the battery capacity to drain the tank.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp