Scamp factory air conditioning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2017, 12:02 PM   #1

Name: Brian
Trailer: in the market
Wisconsin
Scamp factory air conditioning

How noisy is the factory installed roof air conditioning on a Scamp?
Any opinions?
Brianwatzke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I suppose it depends on which A/C unit is installed and how close you are to it when it is running.
Mine came with a Coleman MiniMach which makes just enough white noise on low for a good night's sleep. I can still hear conversation sounds from the next sight.
With normal ambient noise outside I usually don't notice it running unless I go inside and feel the cool.
Other makes and models are different though.
Individual tolerance for noise varies from person to person and tends to increase with the outside temperature.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:06 PM   #3

Name: Brian
Trailer: in the market
Wisconsin
Hi Floyd. What year is your Scamp?
Brianwatzke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:57 PM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
We had a 2014 Scamp 13 with air conditioner. I thought it was too loud. Scamp uses the same Dometic air conditioner (13,500 BTU) for all their models, from 13' to 19'. It seems like overkill for the 13 footer. It was powerful. We joked that the little 1.9 cf fridge didn't have a freezer, but you could always make ice with the A/C unit. All that power, came with a price. Noise. Part of the problem was the A/C never shut off. If you listened closely, you could hear the compressor kick in and out, but the roaring fan runs continuously.

We had a heater as well, and I've read about heater noise complaints, but the A/C unit was far louder. We are picking up a 16 in Backus, and it will not have the factory A/C. We will use a smaller room type A/C if we need it. I would not be without the heater or fantastic fan, but we all have different camping styles.

Suggest you try to find someone in your area with an A/C unit and see what you think.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:16 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Inside or outside? Static (white noise) or the thump of the compressor starting? In any event, it is all too subjective to give a good answer unless you have a decibel meter, and if you could document the decibel level, that means bunkus to most people. Some people think its unbearably loud, and other sleep like a baby when its running. Go see one yourself, thats the best answer.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianwatzke View Post
Hi Floyd. What year is your Scamp?
Mine is a 2004, The MiniMach is no longer in production, but I would still buy the Polar Cub if I were to order a new Scamp. Coleman still maintains the best of reputations. The Cub is 9200BTU if I recall correctly.
IF you order without A/C be sure and request A/C prep, It is free and it will be there if you change your mind later.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:28 AM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
I'm in Spain right now. They have this type air conditioner by Samsung. By far the quietest air conditioner I have ever heard. I only wish they were available in 110 volt instead of 220 volt. That's the whole unit, nothing behind. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170912_215147_HDR.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	111962
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:22 AM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Escape utilizes a digital thermostat which essentially means that the A/C fan does not run constantly. I don't know how easily it would to be to retrofit a thermostat on a Scamp. When I owned a Scamp, A/C noise never bothered me; sweating my butt off when everything seemed hot and humid did. However, if you sleep with foam earplugs which typically block 29 db, the noise issue becomes a moot point.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:59 AM   #9

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Steve, that A/C unit looks very small. It's hard to tell without something near it to give it some perspective. I agree. That would be a big seller here! We happen to have Samsung TV's, fridge, stove, dishwasher, microwave, washer and dryer in our home. They say "Smart" appliances spy on us. If so; maybe we ought to start talking out loud about that little A/C unit? Before you know it; it will be on the market here.

Carl, I agree. If we lived in FL or anywhere down south, A/C would be a "must have" option. When we go down there to escape the snow and cold weather, we hardly use the A/C, but Summer is a whole other animal! A/C is a no brainer in the South. I'd get used to the noise in a hurry. I'd probably find it comforting, just like the "noisy" furnace when it's cold outside. The biggest noise complaint we had was when we tried to watch a movie on a rainy day with the A/C on. I think you can add a thermostat to get it to completely shut off. Darral may have done that?

One other personal issue I have with the Dometic model Scamp currently uses is the height. I believe it's around 18" tall? I just spent >$2K to install a 8'9" garage door to house our Scamp. Our Scamp 13 just fit. Our 16 will be a little taller and might not. Scamp now reinforces the roof and wires all their trailers to accept roof mounted A/C units. Depending on garage door clearance; I can buy a lower profile one and install it myself later. This has nothing to do with the original noise question. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Floyd, your A/C unit is quieter and lower profile. Much more "size appropriate" for the 13' IMHO. Wish Scamp still specced them.

Gordon, you are 100% correct. O.P. Brian asked for opinions. Opinions are like...(well you know the rest). He really does need to hear the A/C unit himself to make a decision he'll be happy with.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:40 AM   #10

Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Oops!
Old 09-26-2017, 07:42 AM   #11

Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
[QUOTE=ststefan;663356]The samsung ac unit is around 3 1/2 to 4ft long and about 1 ft tall and around 10 inches deep.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:00 AM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
a/c

that small a/c looks like a split system to me I have had one for 15 years in a room I cant get central air to. they are very quiet but the outside unit is heavy with the compressor and all!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:14 PM   #13

Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
that small a/c looks like a split system to me I have had one for 15 years in a room I cant get central air to. they are very quiet but the outside unit is heavy with the compressor and all!
Sorry but thst is the entire unit. I even went to an appliance store to make sure.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:34 AM   #14

Missouri
spanish a/c

well I never saw one in a appliance store but in the next few years when I am in an appliance store I will check.

did you get the brand name im sure it can be found on amazon or some site?

bob
Old 10-03-2017, 08:36 AM   #15

Missouri
the spanish a/c

One question did they tell you how they got rid of the heat maybe its vented to the outside some way.

this is very interesting it must have a very small compressor as I look at it?

bob
Old 10-03-2017, 08:42 AM   #16

Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
It is available in europe and runs on 240 volts. The brand is Samsung for the one in the pic. I'm not sure how they vent the hot air but it must be done internally somehow because there are no vents at the back. The walls in Europe are concrete and running vents would be quite hard. They are also quite pricey at 489 euro per unit.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:46 AM   #17

Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Here's a link to the Samsung site.

https://samsunghvac.com/products.php
Old 10-03-2017, 09:04 AM   #18

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ststefan View Post
I'm in Spain right now. They have this type air conditioner by Samsung. By far the quietest air conditioner I have ever heard. I only wish they were available in 110 volt instead of 220 volt. That's the whole unit, nothing behind. Attachment 111962
Trying to match your photo to the products at the Samsung website.. I would be the farm that it is a mini-split system. Probably a real nice one too.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:54 AM   #19

Missouri
yep I guarrentee its a split system been around a/c all my life when they come up with one that small watch it sell as I said I have one made by fedders its 15 years old runs cheap and will run you out of a 26x26 family room. Cheap way for extra cooling I put it inmyself didn't have to sweat anything they use flares!
Old 10-03-2017, 09:55 AM   #20

Missouri
hey not trying to run you down in any manner! just my 2c!!

Tags
air conditioning, scamp