Scamp Fan troubleshooting - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2024, 02:51 PM   #1

Name: Gerardo
Trailer: Scamp 16
CA
Scamp Fan troubleshooting

Hello all!

This is my first post on these forums although I've used other forums for well over 20 years now. I recently picked up a 2003 Scamp. I need advise on how to troubleshoot the ceiling fan. The fan was initially working fine while connected to 12v or shore. One day I was messing with the forward/reverse air switch and now I can't get fan to turn on at all. I checked the fuses and none of them are blown. Everything else works fine as far as I can tell. My WILD guess is that the forward/reverse switch went bad when I was messing with it. How can I start process of elimination here? How to I bypass this switch to see if fan itself turns on at all. Obviously I'd MUCH rather it be a bad switch that I can potentially replace myself than having to replace the fan itself. Any advise would be greatly appreciated?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6192.jpg   IMG_6193.jpg  

IMG_6194.jpg   IMG_6195.jpg  

gerry0619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 03:06 PM   #2

Name: Karin & Don
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13Ft
Maine
The first thing I would do is double check all of the fuses, including the one that come off of the battery. I've had to replace that one a couple of times. Don.
Kardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 07:47 PM   #3

Name: Gerardo
Trailer: Scamp 16
CA
I think I found the culprit. The fan itself has a glass fuse that is blown. I ordered a pack of assorted from Amazon since I didn't know the size. I'll update the post accordingly.
gerry0619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 09:01 PM   #4

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Max fuse size

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry0619 View Post
I think I found the culprit. The fan itself has a glass fuse that is blown. I ordered a pack of assorted from Amazon since I didn't know the size. I'll update the post accordingly.
The MAXIMUM fuse size is decided by the wire size. I think number 14AWG is a max of 15 amp. My guess on that fan with out knowing details would be about a 3 - 4 amp draw. I'd look at a 5 - 7 amp fuse if you have 14 AWG wire. If the fuse is blown as in black you may have fan problems, if still clear it may have just shaken apart.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 10:32 PM   #5

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
A quick switch from in to out the fan still turning will blow the fan mounted fuse. The rating should be on the metal end.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 02:15 PM   #6

Name: Sidney
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Scamp Fan

Always let the fan stop before changing directions.
First, Use a voltmeter to see if there is power to the fan
If no power, check the fuse panel.
If there is power, check the fuses located on the fan housing. Use the continuity feature on the voltmeter.
Those steps will narrow down the search
Martin B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 02:39 PM   #7

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eberhardt View Post
A quick switch from in to out the fan still turning will blow the fan mounted fuse. The rating should be on the metal end.

Actually the second part is the key here and the point. Put the fuse in a baggie. OK I have lost them too many times going to the store, so I now always put them in a baggie when I go to the store. But just take the fuse to town. Yeah it should be written on the end. But some times hard to read. Go to auto zone and look for someone with a gray shirt. Hand it to them and you should walk out with what you need.

But probably 15 amp.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 02:51 PM   #8

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
The MAXIMUM fuse size is decided by the wire size. I think number 14AWG is a max of 15 amp. My guess on that fan with out knowing details would be about a 3 - 4 amp draw. I'd look at a 5 - 7 amp fuse if you have 14 AWG wire. If the fuse is blown as in black you may have fan problems, if still clear it may have just shaken apart.

Good thought it might be that size. Certainly with that wiring, not more than 15 amps.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp