Scamp Fridge Vent Leak - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2016, 09:30 AM   #1

Name: Travis
Trailer: Scamp
Alberta
Scamp Fridge Vent Leak

Hello,

I am getting a leak from my top fridge vent during rain storms. Called Scamp and they advised that this is an unusual problem and I am the first to call about it this year.

I have browsed the information here and found a couple fixes for the problem which doesn't seem to be unusual with Scamps/Casitas.

I added piece of 3/4" aluminum angle with VHB to divert the water but unfortunately it does not suffice as some water goes right over the angle and into the vent.

I leave for two weeks to the Olympic peninsula and need to get this figured out as I imagine I will encounter some rain

I was thinking of putting a bead of 3M 4000 around the top vent where is sits (not sealing the actual venting area), I would no longer have easy access behind the top vent but I am not sure I need access there anyways. My understanding that the 3M 4000 stays semi rubbery and can be removed if needed. Is this a bad idea or even work?

I have added some photos of the area and the angle I installed.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1469373843.584238.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	97787Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1469373859.639349.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	97788Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1469373870.099216.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	97789

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Travis in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:54 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis in Canada View Post
Hello,

I am getting a leak from my top fridge vent during rain storms. Called Scamp and they advised that this is an unusual problem and I am the first to call about it this year.

I have browsed the information here and found a couple fixes for the problem which doesn't seem to be unusual with Scamps/Casitas.

I added piece of 3/4" aluminum angle with VHB to divert the water but unfortunately it does not suffice as some water goes right over the angle and into the vent.

I leave for two weeks to the Olympic peninsula and need to get this figured out as I imagine I will encounter some rain

I was thinking of putting a bead of 3M 4000 around the top vent where is sits (not sealing the actual venting area), I would no longer have easy access behind the top vent but I am not sure I need access there anyways. My understanding that the 3M 4000 stays semi rubbery and can be removed if needed. Is this a bad idea or even work?

I have added some photos of the area and the angle I installed.Attachment 97787Attachment 97788Attachment 97789

Thanks!

I had the same issues and a lot of others did to. What i did, was put some weather stripping around each of the fridge vents. 1/4" or 3/8" Box stores have it. Did not have water come in since. You also have to make sure your camper is level ar tilted a little on drivers side so vents are lower. not much just a little Good Luck, Carl.
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:08 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Hello,

Its actually a fairly common problem to all makes/brands of trailers where the fridge is side vented rather than roof vented.

The most common cause of the problem is the trailer has not been parked level side to side.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:29 AM   #4

Alberta
Thanks for the suggestion Carl, I am going to grab some today.

Hi Carol, with this commonly occurring I was sorta shocked at the response from Scamp saying that this is an anomaly with my individual unit. I have been keeping my Scamp tilted towards the vent side/door side but with hard enough rain it still comes in and I fear the eventual deterioration of the OSB under the fridge.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:35 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I'm guessing Scsmp used silicone to seal the vent. Might be worth a try to remove the vent, clean things up and re-bed using butyl. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:50 AM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Last winter another member here was in the same campground as we were with his Scamp 16 that was less than a year old. He found that rain would get in around the fridge vent and end up in a storage area at floor level. I know he also called Scamp resulting in the "we haven't heard of that problem", and little advice how to cure it other than additional weatherstrip. I recommended that he try a piece of the stick on RV gutter, and that seemed to cure all or most of the problem. It's available from Camping World and Amazon.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:01 AM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Here's a picture of the RV Gutter on our Uhaul. It was attempt to stop rain leakage around the windows. Not a complete success in that case. It is listed as EZE RV Gutter on Amazon, a 10" length is $26.33. Worth a try ?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0786.jpg  
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:07 AM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion Carl, I am going to grab some today.

Hi Carol, with this commonly occurring I was sorta shocked at the response from Scamp saying that this is an anomaly with my individual unit. I have been keeping my Scamp tilted towards the vent side/door side but with hard enough rain it still comes in and I fear the eventual deterioration of the OSB under the fridge.

Oh I know the problem and concerns with water damage well

Basically its a design flaw with the side venting fridges on curved sided trailers that the trailer manufactures who use that system rather than roof venting like to avoid acknowledging.
Trust me Scamp is not the only manufacturer - there is another one selling $70,000 plus trailers that will have a river running through the inside of the trailer coming in via the side fridge vent if not parked level &/or there is a gap in the bottom inside trim or the bottom trim is not high enough.

More than one owner has filled the gap on the inside of the hatch and/or put in a larger weather strip on the bottom and problem is fixed even in the worst of the west coast rain storms.

When I first got my current trailer I had to put a sheet of plastic on the inside of the vent cover to stop it from leaking until I did a major upgrade/improvement on the weather stripping inside the vent hatch - it will still leak though if the trailer is not completely level side to side & there is a heavy rain with a side wind - either which way!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:47 PM   #9

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Carl are you talking about the weatherstripping that is like open cell foam, gray in color that sticks on, or like a rubber type moulding of sorts? Might you be willing to link a pic please?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:14 PM   #10

Alberta
I bought this for the bottom vent. Only could fit weather stripping on sides. Top and bottom of where vent sits was to tight to apply.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1469495626.701529.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	97912

Old 07-25-2016, 07:43 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If your going to use that angle drop it all the way down to the plastic frame and I would angle it so the water has a chance to run off of one end. You really need a U shape and not an L. But even that wont really help in a down pour.

Personally I would use a hooded type drip cap like used over the trailer door and have it shield the top edge of the access door. I would mount this on the vent frame itself. This would help keep the water from running behind the door.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:02 PM   #12
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Carol is correct, the greater the curve the more likely you will experience this issue. I had a few drops in front of the fridge after a really heavy rain. When it occurred a second time in Texas after a real gully washer I implemented the advice from this forum. Camping World RV gutter over the top vent and thin weatherstripping around the inside interface of the lower vent and frame.
Many heavy rains ( and even washings) later no more leak!
Listen to your friends
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, scamp