Scamp Fridge Won't Work on Electricity - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2018, 04:52 PM   #1

Name: Ken
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
Scamp Fridge Won't Work on Electricity

Just found this group, joined, and this is our first post. So, please bear with me.

We bought a new 16ft Scamp in 2015. All was well for the first 3 weekend "shake-down" camping trips. On prepping for our 4th, I had plugged in the camper and had set the fridge to electric power to cool down before leaving. It became fast apparent that it was not operating on power. Switching to propane worked fine and used it as such that trip. Called, Scamp and was told the unit was under warranty and take to any repair shop/dealer with that brand. Well, no one in our area (Northern North Dakota) wants to work on our Scamp because it is so cramped and getting the fridge out was quite a task. They build the fridge in as they build the camper, so, it is not easy to get out to trouble shoot and repair.

Does anyone have suggestions of where to start trouble shooting to repair ourselves? It is out of warranty and Scamp didn't want us to bring it back to the factory for repair. Son is an electrician, so have that covered.

Any suggestions are sure welcome!!!!

Thanks in advance!!
ckhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:14 PM   #2

Name: Jeff T
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Midwest
Couple Ideas

Trying to be helpful here ......

First idea, once logged into this site you can use the "search" drop down menu near the top of the page. On the search drop down I always use the lower search box "Search Site / Google" which is very useful.

Having used the above I located a post which may be helpful regarding your frig issue. (I didn't review all of the search results but would imagine there are others to read.)

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...run-28291.html

Best of luck, our frig (so far) has kept running OK.
Jeff T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:17 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhome View Post
Any suggestions are sure welcome!!!!

First suggestion is to list the make and model number of an appliance when you want help with it.

Second suggestion is use the service manual.. this might be the right one.

https://www.fourwh.com/NewDometicRefrigeratorManual.pdf

This assumes that you have checked the easy and obvious thing.. is there power at the outlet for the fridge?
gordon2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:37 PM   #4

Name: Ken
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
It is a Dometic model RM2410, 4.6 cu ft. There are no leaks nor ammonia smell. Light easily and works well on propane.
ckhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:47 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhome View Post
It is a Dometic model RM2410, 4.6 cu ft. There are no leaks nor ammonia smell. Light easily and works well on propane.
Ah.. same fridge as mine.. IMHO its a good one as far as absorption fridges go. Best thing is no control board so it does not require any elect power (12 or 120) to run on propane.

If it works on propane but not 120 volt shore power then your son the electrician should be able to troubleshoot it with the help of the service manual and chances are its not too hard to fix. Chances are he just needs to figure out if the heating element is heating or not (not being more likely) and if not, why not. Maybe the heating element just needs to be replaced. GL
gordon2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:03 PM   #6

Name: Bing
Trailer: Sunland Express
Minnesota
Dometic not working 110v

Switch to 110v, check if heater tube gets warm. If not check for power at outlet, next check for tripped breaker. Be sure knob is moving selector all the way over to 110v. If none of these work , check for continuity of heating element. If nothing does work post on this site and I'll get back to you with any other ideas I come up with. Good luck!
Bing
Bing M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 07:56 PM   #7

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
Have your son check for a loose wire on the thermostat. That's what was wrong when mine stopped working.
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:05 PM   #8

Name: Bing
Trailer: Sunland Express
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich G. and Val F. View Post
Have your son check for a loose wire on the thermostat. That's what was wrong when mine stopped working.
OP stated it works fine on LP so I would think that a loose wire would not be the issue but it never hurts to check.
Bing
Bing M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:27 AM   #9

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Did you check the fuses and circuit breakers?
If you have a VOM meter, or 120V test light, probe the connections at the back (outside) of the fridge to see if you have power there.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:26 AM   #10

Name: Mike & Helene
Trailer: Scamp 5er
Florida
This may sound silly but is it plugged in. My refir stopped and after looking at I thought was everthing I deicovered that the plug had rattled loose enough to loose connection. thus on refrir. Just my 2 cents. good luck

Tags
fridge, scamp