Scamp furnace issues - - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Scamp furnace issues -

Need help troubleshooting Scamp furnace -

Would like to know if fan will turn on without propane hooked up or does it need a certain pressure of propane to operate? Does the furnace lockout with out propane pressure?

I have verified that I have 12v at the thermostat and 12v going to the furnace - looking for an easy solution before pulling it out.

Thanks,

John
John Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
My Scamp furnace fan operates on all 3 modes. Others will be able to jump in an help you with trouble shooting.

Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carter View Post
Need help troubleshooting Scamp furnace -

Would like to know if fan will turn on without propane hooked up or does it need a certain pressure of propane to operate? Does the furnace lockout with out propane pressure?

I have verified that I have 12v at the thermostat and 12v going to the furnace - looking for an easy solution before pulling it out.

Thanks,

John
Old 11-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
If you look for the model number you can get the manual from the manufacturer or the document center here.

Now to answer some of your questions.

The runs on 12 Volt DC from the battery or the converter. It will come on when the thermostat is adjusted to a point where heat is called for. When heat is called for you should not be able to read any voltage across the two leads coming to the thermostat. The thermostat is simply a switch, you can take a jumper and connect the two leads together and the fan should come on.
The fan has to be running and move enough air to move the sail enough to allow gas to flow to burner. Without enough air no gas no flame.
Once gas is going to the burner the igniter sparks and you get flames. When the temperature at the thermostat reaches the temperature the thermostat is set for the switch opens and gas stops flowing. The fan continues to run for 2 or 3 minutes then shuts off.

I have has the one small wire inside the thermostat brake in such a manner you couldn't see that it was broken. A new thermostat was less than $5.00.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
John, my thermostat has a small switch on it. Don't ask me how I know.
Make sure your battery is charged and or you are using shore power through the convertor.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #5

Name: Chuck
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Washington
If I raise the T-stat enough so that it calls for heat, the fan will run for a couple minutes even if the propane is off.
beardrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardrum View Post
If I raise the T-stat enough so that it calls for heat, the fan will run for a couple minutes even if the propane is off.
That's the way mine works.

There are some thermostats that have an additional switch on them. Mine doesn't when I turn it all the down there's some resistance, when I move it a bit more it opens an internal switch.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #7

I'm really getting frustrated now....As far as I can tell Scamp begins with a furnace and the wires then builds a camper around it - man is that a tight fit. So I'm still in no furnace fan clicking on mode. I have jumped the thermostat with no luck, I know that I have 13.5 volts going to it... Which might possibly be an issue. On top of the furnace states a max of 13 volts. Is it possible that the 13.5 volts fried something? I tried running straight off 12 volt battery but still nothing. I still think there is some lockout that is stuck.

Any new ideas??

Thanks John
Old 11-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Well if you have put the switch to on on the thermostat and cranked it up - you should hear it clicking to start up (or on mine it does) Perhaps your thermostat is toast.....
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
A sticky or defective "Sail Switch" is one of the most common problems with RV furnaces. If the sail switch isn't tripped the circuit to the gas valve will remain open. Some times you can push on the sail with a long wire to see if it is sticking. As mentioned earlier, get the factory docs on-line and check out the sail operation and the switch itself, it's just a small microswitch.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:39 PM   #10

Name: Chuck
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Washington
My furnace is a Suburban NT-12SE. As I recall, there is an on/off rocker switch on the right side of the furnace, very near the gas connection. In my 13', I have to get to it from under the sink. It's almost impossible to see, but I can feel it. I found it by looking at the manual, which is good for the NT-16SE and NT-20SE furnaces as well. It says neither power or gas will flow to the furnace unless it's on. Is there any chance that got turned to off?

Just a thought,

cg
beardrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #11

Got it going thanks for all the suggestions, turned out to be switched polarity from the new style converter that I installed two years ago - oops.

John
Old 11-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #12

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
John, thanks for getting back and letting us know what you found wrong.
The problem was one of those you have to be there to trouble shoot.
Looks like you did your due do diligence and traced it down.
Good job!
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #13

Name: james
Trailer: scamp
Washington
Scamp Fan

We noticed the other night for the first time the fan was running and the thermostat turned to off. We unplugged outside power and after awhile it stopped. Why would it start running when the thermostat is on off?
jhock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:52 PM   #14

Name: Paul
Trailer: '07 Scamp 16' SD
Wisconsin
The suburban thermostats have a detent you can feel even after it is turned down all the way as others have said, the switch feels like it stops, then it will click as it shuts off
glennco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Some tstats have 40 deg low setting / detent / off to provide freeze up protection
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, scamp