scamp, gravel shield, instal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #1

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
scamp, gravel shield, instal

my friend received a gravel shield, and hardware to instal on his trailer. scamp sent him a photo of the top and bottom brackets and their relationship to the shield and the rubber surrounding the plastic window. we put the top brackets on and we were trying to align the bottom brackets, the way they looked in the photo, the bracket with the hook would be set about 1/8" below the rubber frame work. the upper part with the tension device would be placed with one mounting hole, centered on the edging of the shield and the top mounting hole being up about 1- 1/4". we held the pieces in place and tried to get the pieces, to actuate correctly. it appeared the the piece on the trailer body needed to be pushed up tight to the rubber frame work and the upper piece needed to be lowered about 1/4" to get the bracket to work, by doing this the bottom hole in the upper piece would be off the edge of the shield. we felt we could get the upper piece to work by drilling another hole in the mounting surface. there was not technical info with the photograph. it seems they could have sent a drawing with dimensions and how to info. we have not put on the bottom piece because nothing aligns correctly,we feel that by mounting the pieces like the photo, when actuated, it would cause tremendous compression of the shied into the window.

has anyone done this project, and do you have some suggestions, ? we haven't called scamp to whine yet!

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Can you post the picture(s) Scamp sent your friend?
And pictures of what you see.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
You did not indicate what year the scamp is but here are some photos of the rock guard hinges on mine. They are the originals so not pretty! They need replacing.

Note on the top hinge I have a pipe fitting ring that keeps it in place as I never take it right off. On mine it does take a fair amount of pressure to close the bottom clips. The bottom section of the clip that attaches to the trailer does over lap the black rubber that goes around the outside of the window by about a 1/4". Bottom photo is how I keep mine up.

Hope this is of some help.
Attached Thumbnails
rock guard hing bottom1.jpg   rock guard hinge top.jpg  

rockguard.jpg  
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #4

Utah
Carol

I have a 13' Bigfoot and the shield becomes a sun shade. My friend wanted to do what I have; seeing what you have, we will copy it, how perfect! I told him if we cover the rubber surround ( and it needed to be replaced ) we could remove the rivets and the brackets remove the window,and replace it and then reset the brackets. I haven't talked to him today,,, don't know if he has talked to Scamp.

Thanks Carol , luv the pictures
Old 05-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #5

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
On my '85 Scamp 13 the 'hook' that the lower latches fasten to apparently have some kind of spacer that holds them out from the fiberglass body approx 1/8-3/16". Seems that gives a better hold & the toggle latches themselves are fastened to the guard with both rivets well anchored. Mine are badly rusted (probably original); I have all new galvanized latches & hardware (stainless was quite expensive & didn't have the same hole arrangement) but I'll not install 'em 'til the interior re-build is done. Also the 'keepers' top & bottom have gobs of silicone around them & I don't want to mess with that 'til I'm ready to re-seal everything & put new plastic trim around the guard. I'll probably use a similar system as Carol H to secure the guard & use it as a window awning.

Pix of the upper hangers, lower 'hooks', toggle latch fastened, & toggle latch open -
Attached Thumbnails
Copy of IMG_3926.JPG   Copy of IMG_3924.JPG  

Copy of IMG_3925.JPG   Copy of IMG_3930.JPG  

Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #6

Utah
Harvey Spacing the bottom hook bracket out from the face of the trailer looks like it will solve a lot of attachment problems with the toggle wire on the upper piece. I have drilled out rivets, and replaced them with new aluminum rivets which you can get at the RV trailer supply stores. Don't you luv the way Carol's shield works as an awning!!!!
Old 05-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #7

Registry
Kenny you can thank Joy a long time member here for the gravel guard holder idea.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #8

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Strong View Post
Harvey Spacing the bottom hook bracket out from the face of the trailer looks like it will solve a lot of attachment problems with the toggle wire on the upper piece. I have drilled out rivets, and replaced them with new aluminum rivets which you can get at the RV trailer supply stores. Don't you luv the way Carol's shield works as an awning!!!!
Absolutely, I have the thread with Joy's instructions saved in my 'Scamp File'. I've got 'tons' of different sized aluminum rivets on hand. I think the guard hardware is currently held with 3/16". I've an assortment of that size of different lengths & will use whatever length gives me the best fit for the new hardware. Also have some of the DAP Silicone-be-gone that should make for easy removal of all the old silicone that some PO applied. Ain't decided yet if I'll use Carol's hose clamps or some sturdy 'ZIP' ties to keep the upper 'loops' attached while using as an sun shade/awning but I'm not sure I can improve on the PFC 'legs' for holding up the guard...
Old 05-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #9

Registry
Harvey, as you can see I modified Joy's set up just a bit. I tried using zip straps when I first set it up a few years back - after about a year of lifting it up and down I noticed the straps were starting to look a little like they may wear through or snap so I replaced with the small hose clamps and have had no issues with them for about 3 years so far (maybe more). Joy also put a pin through the end of the legs were it rest on the trailer. I didnt get into that detail as the end piece of the pipe fits snugly over the rock guard hardware on mine and it works well at keeping the legs in position and not move around. Have had it up in light winds with no problems but a real high wind might result in the legs moving & dropping the guard without a pin holding them.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #10

Arkansas
Thanks Carol. I have a lot of small stainless hose clamps around the shop so I'll probably use a couple of them for the upper fittings. I'm lookin' over the PVC 'legs/props' & may try to incorporate the pin idea. We camp a lot in the SW USA & often the winds are kinda fierce so I want to be sure the thing is secure & won't 'flap around in the breeze'. I'd hate to be awakened at 2am by the guard banging against the trailer
Old 05-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #11

Registry
nope that would not be good but I often drop mine done at night regardless just of the added privacy.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #12

Utah
pictures
Old 05-25-2012, 11:58 AM   #13

Utah
these are what we were working on. the pads are 1/4" thick we placed under the bottom hook bracket.
Attached Thumbnails
0524121348.jpg   0524121453.jpg  

0524121458.jpg   0524121528.jpg  

Old 05-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #14

Utah
another pic,, spacer is below bottom bracket
Attached Thumbnails
0524121526.jpg  
Old 05-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #15

Utah
all is well, the spacer allowed the toggle to work perfectly has a pound or 2 of tension, a little bit of force to get the closure bracket to work.

Tags
scamp