Scamp Grey Water Filter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2018, 04:16 PM   #1

Name: Pat
Trailer: Scamp 5th wheel
Texas
Scamp Grey Water Filter

I bought a used Scamp 19', trying to bring it up to date. I saw a grey water filter on the parts list on the Scamp web site. Mine does not have one, I wondered if I need one and what the purpose.
patsublett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsublett View Post
I bought a used Scamp 19', trying to bring it up to date. I saw a grey water filter on the parts list on the Scamp web site. Mine does not have one, I wondered if I need one and what the purpose.
The filter should be downstream of the shower drain and upstream of the greywater pump. it should be there to protect the pump from hair and debri which could damage it. It gets clogged up and must be cleaned occasionally. If you have no grey water pump you have little need for a filter.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:22 PM   #3

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
It is a fine mesh screen and on my Deluxe it is under the shower, and as Floyd said, just upstream from the grey water transfer pump. The layout of the Standard shows the shower in front of the axle, opposite the door, and it should also have the screen to protect the pump. If somebody used the shower without the screen, I would make sure that the pump does not have any debris caught in it.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:17 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I just cleaned my screen and it's not a pretty site as no drain filters are. But, one thing I noticed is, that screen MUST be stainless. When I cleaned it (I used a water hose and sprayed it and it literally just "peeled" the gunk off) it looked BRAND new! I cleaned the cups and so do they.

The only thing, that puppy has a rubber seal that it screws into and it can be VERY tough to get started unscrewing it. In fact, I used some "channel-locks" and BARELY gripped it enough to engage the teeth and broke it loose. Maybe I'm tightening it too tight once I put it back in place. But it doesnt leak!!

It would actually be a good idea to have a "spare" handy when you're trying to remove it just in case it should break. It's exposed to alot of outside weather on the Scamp which brings on another point.....

One thing that hasnt been mentioned, this filter is on the OUTSIDE bottom of the Scamp! Yes, exposed to the elements. [edit]- on a 13' Scamp. Layouts A&B of the 19'?
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:44 PM   #5

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
If he has a side shower then there is no pump as the floor of the shower is above the gray tank.
If it has a front shower then the shower is at the lower floor level and below the top of the gray tank and the filter and pump is necessary.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:51 PM   #6

True and we dont know which one he has. Layouts A & B show the front shower, while Layout 8 shows a side shower:

https://www.scamptrailers.com/showro...pped_rev_1_751

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
If he has a side shower then there is no pump as the floor of the shower is above the gray tank.
If it has a front shower then the shower is at the lower floor level and below the top of the gray tank and the filter and pump is necessary.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:20 PM   #7

Name: Pat
Trailer: Scamp 5th wheel
Texas
Mine has a side shower but it has a pump. I don't think there is any way that it would drain without a pump, but it has no filter.
patsublett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:06 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
The only thing, that puppy has a rubber seal that it screws into and it can be VERY tough to get started unscrewing it. In fact, I used some "channel-locks" and BARELY gripped it enough to engage the teeth and broke it loose. Maybe I'm tightening it too tight once I put it back in place. But it doesnt leak!!
Might want to use a little anti seize on the threads .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:20 AM   #9

Wouldnt damage the plastic? Anyway, from experience, I dont think that's what it is. Once I get it to barely turn (break loose), I can easily screw it off (and back on) by hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Might want to use a little anti seize on the threads .
Old 11-13-2018, 08:25 AM   #10

There's one thing FOR sure, if it does have a filter and you dont find it, eventually you will know it. The water will start backing up because the pump will have difficulty getting it to pass through.

If it DOESNT have a filter, I would definitely try to rig a screen to go in the drain....or better still, I would ADD a filter. After cleaning the filter a couple of times, I do dont want to even THINK about the mess that would build up in the pump to have to tear apart and clean out!

I would call Scamp, give them the serial # of your trailer, and ask them is there suppose to be a filter on that trailer? If so, WHERE!? You didnt say what model it is. Maybe they didnt put one on them years ago? Again, I would!

Quote:
Mine has a side shower but it has a pump. I don't think there is any way that it would drain without a pump, but it has no filter.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:50 PM   #11

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
The grey water filter is part of a system. If you have an old enough scamp it doesn't have a gray water filter it has a pump that will stand putting materials through it that we'll fit down the drain. It's a gray water pump. For some reason and I got guesses as to why but won't spec, scamp decided to use a fresh water pump as the grey water pump to pump the shower water into the grey water tank. So now it wouldn't take all of that stuff the gray water pump would.

a few years ago I had to retrofit my scamp with the new system because my gray water pump went out. as they pointed out here it goes between the shower drain and the gray water pump that is now a fresh water pump. until such time as you actually have to retrofit because the pump is failed I would ignore this.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp