Scamp leaking back window - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2017, 05:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
Scamp leaking back window

I have a 2005 Scamp 16'. My back window started leaking bad. I put new rubber seals in and scraped and redid the caulking. Still leaking bad. Can anybody tell me what I am missing. Just got to Washington to work the summer and it rains a lot here. Please, anyone, everyone. I need help! Thank you all in advance.
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:26 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Check the drain holes on the outside of the frame. Make sure the tracks are clean and drain slots clear.

If that doesn't solve the problem, you probably need to pull the window out and replace the butyl tape between the flange and the shell.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:46 PM   #3

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
A twelve years old Scamp window frame could easily be full of black rotting muck that prevents the weep slots from doing what they are designed to do. The best is to slide the window open part way and then pull/push and lift out the rubber channel that the glass slides in. The glass then drops down a fraction of an inch and the top edge will clear the upper frame. Lift it out and clean up the frame and the rubber channel thoroughly. Pay attention to how it goes together, re-assemble in reverse order.

I hose my Scamp down once a year whether it needs it or not and every time I wash the channels with a hard stream of water into one weep slot and watch the dirt wash out the other. (As long as the trailer is level the weep slots drain well, without any water getting inside.)
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Raise and lower the front of the camper and/or lift one side or the other to get the water to run in a different direction if the suggestions of cleaning the wheep holes does not work. This may provide a temp solution B 4 you get around to replacing the butyl tape.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:58 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
It's been discussed on another forum that the weep holes don't drain good sometimes, and the solution was to run a string or shoelace through them and let it hang. Apparently helps the water to wick out. I don't have a Scamp but did buy a Scamp rear window to install in our Uhaul. It came with a stick on foam tape. That did not seal good and I had to pull the window back out and use butyl tape. Did the Scamp factory use that foam tape on the windows when the trailers were built ?
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:16 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
I made sure the weep holes were clean when I replaced the rubber seals. I will clean the slide area as that seams like it might be seeping in. Thanks so much! On another note, I need to reseal the belly band, what is the best product to use? How difficult is it to remove the old chaulking?
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp