Scamp or a teardrop? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2013, 12:07 AM   #1

Name: jobelle
Trailer: trying to decide
Alabama
Scamp or a teardrop?

I thought about the teardrop with the rear door, but I think I would get a little claustrophobic in that type. I saw a Scamp caravan, and yes it is small, lightweight, but I can stand up in it and I don't have to go outside to change my mind. lol I am leaning towards a used Scamp, since this is a new hobby, but a life long dream, and I can modify a used Scamp and not feel too bad about it. I am sure I can buy a brand new Scamp with handicap modifications, but the price will be high and if I can only wander a few years, I won't feel so bad about my initial investment. The tow van is something I will need either way, but I don't want anything too big, either. I can drive a diesel duly with a 30 foot trailer, used to own a lawn care business. So a van with a 16 foot Scamp, I would be quite comfortable with that set up. Yes, I do have a service dog, and I have found that even though (legally) I can take him everyplace I go, some places are just not open to service dogs.
Any information, links, ideas, advice, will be very much appreciated. My service dog is a Rough Coated Collie (aka Lassie) named Barker. He has a pet cat, Piglet, who is a deaf Russian Blue and is very overweight because he cannot go outside to play.
Thanks, Jobelle Collie
jobellecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:04 AM   #2

Name: Guy
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
A teardrop for me is just too confining and uncomfortable, some people like them, but not for me. The Scamp in fact for me is small although functional, being 6'2" I have to bend my head so as not to hit the roof. Having said that, I would opt for the Scamp. If only for the fact that having a tear drop is like living in a closet as opposed to the Scamp which is like living in a one bedroom all inclusive flat.
neauone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:17 AM   #3

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by neauone View Post
The Scamp in fact for me is small although functional, being 6'2" I have to bend my head so as not to hit the roof. .
Guy, I looked at a Scamp and found the inside height wasn't as tall as I am. I am 6ft2 or 6ft3 on a good day. I walked away from it for other reasons not the height. But found a Boler which I can stand up in without hitting my head.
I would agree on your post about buying a used one vers a new one on the fact that I wouldn't mind doing a mod on a use one.
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobellecollie View Post
Yes, I do have a service dog, and I have found that even though (legally) I can take him everyplace I go, some places are just not open to service dogs.
Sadly your problem is become all to common. Its the result of to many folks taking their pet dogs into places they should not be taking them. Grocery stores, restaurants, parks, public markets etc. Some people have been known to take their larger dogs into places by putting them in baby carriages in hopes people think its a child in it. Worst still some go as far as to buy special vests for their pet dogs in an attempt to pass them off as service dogs or when asked they claim the dog to be a service dog.

Unfortunately the Disabilities Act in both our counties is written in such a way it makes it difficult for the establishment owner to determine if a dog is factually a service dog or just someones pet who they are faking off as a service dog simple because they are unwilling to leave the dog in the car or at home.

Its a sad situation. Suspect such people have no idea as to what the fall out for their actions are and that it is creating a big problem for whose who do have certified service/guide dogs and actually need to have their dog with them. Its starting to be a serious problem for those who are raise assistant/guide dog as pups as well. Its hard to expose a pup at an early age to all sorts of environments to better prepare it for its formal training if people will not let you bring the pup into their establishment.

NBC as well as other news agencies have been running stories over the past year or so in regards to the fall out for people with disabilities due to the selfish pet owners abuse of the no dog laws. One can be found at NBC Frustrated by Fake Service Dogs.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:34 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
A good example of what happens with "Fakes" is what has taken place at Disneyland/World.

Before they had a fairly good program that let families, such as mine with an autistic son & a wife in a wheelchair, enjoy the parks without having to stand for hours in long lines. However, so many abused the program, including disabled (and some not-so disabled) individual's, who rented them selves out to out-of-country visitors (for up to $500/day) and abused those privileges, that they had to make major changes in how the disabled can enjoy the parks.

As a result they have, effectively, had to reduce access for those who need special help.

My rant for today.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #6

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Well, back to teardrop vs. Scamp- the teardrop is basically a hard-sided tent with (sometimes) a convenient, semi-sheltered kitchen. Pros- light, small, easily stored, you can keep it ready to go at a moment's notice. Cons- if it is pouring rain you really don't have a lot of options besides lying in bed and wishing you'd bought a larger trailer.

Scamp (or equivalent)- harder to store, heavier, needs bigger TV. Pro- room to sit or stand inside, cook inside. Better if you spend more time inside.

I have a friend who has a teardrop but for her it is really a concession to age and not sleeping on the hard ground anymore- she camps as she did when she was tent camping but has a safe, dry place to sleep and store camping equipment.
She lives in California so rarely has to worry about days of rain.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
jobelle, have you seen the Little Joe trailer - it has a rear door entry. Compacts are another option.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
With disabilities limiting access I think I would look at the compact 2 trailer. With its rear door, access is in a straight line in the interior. Easy to build a ramp from the ground to the door that will hinge off the rear bumper structure powered by a small winch cable if that is needed. With its flat door it would also be easier to build out and widen the door structure if door width is an issue. Of course with such an old model trailer your probably dealing with a total redo.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #9

All good points for and against each.

Unless one was a devoted tenter, I doubt if a teardrop would work out, but there is the option of a pop-up tent trailer or a used T@B (that's how it's spelled), about 1/2 way between a teardrop and a Scamp and some even have a teardrop type outside kitchen, for those that want rain in their morning eggs.

BTW: "She lives in California so rarely has to worry about days of rain."
Unless you live on the north coast of CA and get the rain that doesn't have the good sense to fall on Oregon where it was sent in the first place.....

Those Redwoods didn't get that big in a SoCal type of climate..... LOL

BTW: The farthest south known coast Redwood is near Big Sur....

Old 10-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #10

Compact-II Mods.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
With disabilities limiting access I think I would look at the compact 2 trailer. With its rear door, access is in a straight line in the interior. Easy to build a ramp from the ground to the door that will hinge off the rear bumper structure powered by a small winch cable if that is needed. With its flat door it would also be easier to build out and widen the door structure if door width is an issue. Of course with such an old model trailer your probably dealing with a total redo.
------------------------------------------------------------
The existing door in a Compact-II is only 24" and the floor width inside is but 28", not a lot of room for expansion short of taking out some of the cabinets or bathroom at the back on the right side. But I did see a Campster some time back that had an off-set lift-up door and ramp in back to allow entry with a wheelchair. But you couldn't use that as a garage for a powered chair, it would make it much to tail heavy.

The 1978-79 17' Toyota Sunrader was an FGRV and had and entire rear wall that opened as well as a rear door. Here's what that looks like:

1978 Sunrader Photos by advocateone | Photobucket

There are later model Chinook motorhomes with rear entry doors, and they are much larger.

More to be confused about.....

Tags
scamp