Scamp -ordered with no stove? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2015, 12:11 AM   #1

Name: Carol & Jim
Trailer: New 2015 16' Scamp
Georgia
Scamp -ordered with no stove?

Has anyone out there ever ordered their NEW Scamp with no stove? If so, what kind of rebate were you given. We have really all my life cooked outdoors and I want to continue. We plan on a coffee maker for regular use and a little stainless steel percolator for boondocking. Thanks, Carol
Vanderscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:13 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderscamper View Post
Has anyone out there ever ordered their NEW Scamp with no stove? If so, what kind of rebate were you given. We have really all my life cooked outdoors and I want to continue. We plan on a coffee maker for regular use and a little stainless steel percolator for boondocking. Thanks, Carol
All I can say is "You'll be sorry."
Old 07-25-2015, 12:55 AM   #3

Name: Carol & Jim
Trailer: New 2015 16' Scamp
Georgia
No stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
All I can say is "You'll be sorry."
WHY??
Vanderscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:59 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
MMMM, not having a stove, good question Carol. Think I've used mine twice but I do have to say I'm glad it's there if I need it. The few pounds you gain from not having it isn't anything to write home about. As far as counter space it's really the same with the cover down and may be a selling point when the time comes. It's all a personal choice to what you want or need. The only thing I have never missed from all the rest of the RVs I've had is an oven. 30 years of them and used once.....big delete on that one.
Order what you want and I would think the builder would knock off $$, give them a call and see what they say.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:22 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Those cook tops cost around $125 retail. I'm sure Scamp pays less. I doubt they will deduct much. Should you or the next owner wish to put one in later, figure several hundred dollars. Its a sellers market on fiberglass campers so I doubt not having a stove would have much effect on resale. That said, I wouldn't want a trailer without one. Happy shopping, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:54 AM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Why not just call Scamp and ask them.
You'll be getting your information right from the source.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:59 AM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Carol, give Scamp a call and ask.. they should tell you with no problem. Based on my experience customizing an order, they will tell you right away how much it save you. And we would like to know what they say too. Talk to Alan or anyone there in sales.

I am in the get the stove camp myself, although this is off topic..
Too many times I have been in what seems like endless bad weather and cooking something simple inside is nice. Resale value counts and having the propane line installed to me is worth a lot. As long as the line is there for the stove,I can use the line for something else is I choose.
Don't use the stove? Get a cover and you have the best of both worlds.

Edit:
(GMTA.. Pam and me!)
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:17 AM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I used one of these for the stove i hardly use, very convertible. So that way if it is cold and windy we could put some eats together inside. Carl
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0765.JPG   DSCN0766.JPG  

Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:25 AM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Think about that cooking outside idea some morning when you wake up and it's raining cats, dogs and hungry bears. And, in many campgrounds, due to the natives (bears etc.) you can't leave any cooking apparatus/dishes/food out when you leave the campsite for the day.

The 2nd thing we do every morning is to put on the kettle and get back into bed while it heats water for our morning Mocha and takes the chill off. Only after that can the day really start.

1. You won't get much, if any, reduction in price, stoves are cheap and running a special order adds to production costs.
2. Deleting one won't save any real weight. A cook top weighs about the same as the section of counter removed for installation.
3. Cook tops don't "Blow Up" any more than home stoves blow up. I would guess that there are a lot more accidents & burns with camp stoves than with RV cooktops.
4. Although it's a sellers market, a lot of buyers, who want a camping ready unit, will walk away from a unit without a stove. (see #5)
5. After purchase cost for installing a cook top can run upwards of $500 for parts, cabinet and gas line work if done in an RV shop. And, if you also delete the hood and vent fan, that's another $200 to add later.

If you need the counter space just get or make a stove cover, and go from there.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:57 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm also of the "we've never used it but I'm glad it's there" school of thought. These trailers last a long time, and your needs, or the next owner's needs, may include a stove at some point.

Right now, we travel to one destination and stay for 3-5 days, so setting up the outdoor kitchen is not an issue. I even disconnect the trailer's propane tank and use it to run the Coleman stove and lantern (I find the disposables expensive, wasteful, and don't last long when cooking for four). A plastic tray on top of the stove makes a handy place to deposit bedside items (keys, glasses, phone, etc.).

But if we ever did a cross-country tour, moving from place to place every day or two, I don't think I'd want the weight or bother of the outdoor kitchen.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:04 AM   #11

Registry
WHY?

Week end fair weather camping and using the trailer as a hard sided tent only works great. The drawback, at least from my experience and point of view, is that these fiberglass trailers last a long time. At some point, if you're like many people, you'll want use the trailer to expand your travels to four seasons and farther north.
Sometimes the weather changes rapidly. A few years ago we were in Big Bend NP, TX. Shorts and t-shirts were the uniform of the day. Then it got cold, the really cold, 5°F cold for a couple days then in the teens for several more days. A good cook top and furnace made it all ok.
Even in GA the temperatures can get pretty cold at times. Staying inside on a nice frosty GA morning with a hot cup of coffee and hot breakfast. Looking out the window and being glad I'm inside.

As for "blowing up," you're in far more danger just getting to a campground than you are of a propane explosion. Just think of how many RVs there are on the road at any given time. Almost every one has a propane cook surface.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:20 AM   #12

Name: Dennis
Minnesota
Our first RV was an extremely light weight pop-up. It was nothing more than a tent on wheels. No stove, no icebox, no propane or 12 volt. Like when tenting, I did all of my cooking on a Coleman stove, under a fly. It worked ok, but I have to admit that I really enjoy the relative luxury that the Scamp provides.

On rare occasions, I do use my in trailer stove, but on similar rare occasions, I moved my Coleman inside of the tent trailer.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:27 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Old saying, just because you have it doesn't mean you have to use it. But, it does give you options you wouldn't have otherwise.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:32 AM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Carol. I have the stove and REMOVED IT. Wife didnt like trying to light it. The 13' Scamp is too small to cook much inside with the gas. On and on...thus the removal. My Flickr link shows what I did with the space. This may not answer your question, but it sure shows you're not the ONLY one that doesnt like the gas stove in a Scamp. Now, I DO use a single hotplate that's worked perfectly for us...now we can use it inside OR outside and it's $10 at Fred's.

Again, for anyone that's thinking about removing a useless gas stove top, here's an alternative. I have the "guts" that can easily be reinstalled if I decide to sell. So all is not lost. This was what I call a necessary AND strategic mod for me n the wife!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...57652349079760

Quote:
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:50 AM   #15

Name: Eddie
Trailer: Casita
Arkansas
cooktop removal

I removed the cooktop in our '15 Casita and covered the hole with a cutting board. Gives you so much added counter space. We never used the stove anyway.
Jaycojunkie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:53 AM   #16

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I think that all of the new cooktops have electronic lighting. Turn it on and you have flame. I have a battery powered hand held electronic lighter to light my 3 y.o. SMEV with, pull the trigger, turn on the gas, count to 3 and you are good to go.

BTW: How do you use that hot plate without hook-ups?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:00 AM   #17

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
We did not order a stove w/ our Parkliner (an idea we got from Thom) and it's worked out beautifully. We have a single burner butane stove we use indoors on the counter if needed, though we prefer outside. If you usually hook up to AC, you have other burner options. Love having that clean counter space!
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:06 AM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycojunkie46 View Post
I removed the cooktop in our '15 Casita and covered the hole with a cutting board. Gives you so much added counter space. We never used the stove anyway.

Just curious... how do you cook instead? My 89 year-old mother doesn't use the stove in her Roadtrek, either. Microwave for her.

Bob, I'd be surprised if Scamp has introduced electronic ignition stoves. My 2008 doesn't have it, and their aversion to new-fangled contraptions is legendary! LOL... My 25 year-old Coleman stove has it, though.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:51 AM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
WHY??
Convince & resale!

I do most of my cooking outside as well but I use the store inside the trailer almost daily for making my morning coffee or a cup of tea so I don't need to go outside in my PJ's to make it. I also use it when doing a fast stop over and have not turned on the hot water tank and I need to boil some water for dishes. Have also used it to boil some water fast to make some quick cup of soup while on the road and stopping for a quick lunch.

I personally would not want to own a trailer that did not have a propane stove in it.

A 2 burner stove top in the Scamp Parts store is only $130 so not a big cost savings vs the potential convince lost and cost when reselling. If the counter space is your concern - just put a cover on it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:03 PM   #20

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Good question Bob. And the answer would vary for everyone of us that doesnt want the stove or has removed it.

I dont camp where there's no electricity...I dont boondock for fun. There IS a model plane "flyin" I go to in Henderson KY with some of my local club buddies once a year. It's in a heavily "modified" cornfield complete with pavilion etc. I take my Champion 3500/4000 gen. It's out in the open...many gens there and I camp near the edge of the woods so I'm away from everyone and it works well for me. Guess what... the hot plate, my toaster oven, ac fridge, A/C/heat, electric hotwater heater...all of that I can use. During the day, I do run the hw heater and fridge on propane. (Yes I throw the bottle back on for this one trip).

This wouldnt work for probably 90% on this group, but it's perfect for me then using shore power for me and wifey works the rest of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I think that all of the new cooktops have electronic lighting. Turn it on and you have flame. I have a battery powered hand held electronic lighter to light my 3 y.o. SMEV with, pull the trigger, turn on the gas, count to 3 and you are good to go.

BTW: How do you use that hot plate without hook-ups?
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp