Scamp plumbing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2018, 01:22 PM   #1

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Scamp plumbing

I have a Casita, my camping buddy has a Scamp, we are both older ladies. Her access to dump her tanks is well under the side of her Scamp, necessating crawling under to reach the pull handles. One spot for black, one for grey. My Casita has one joined dump pipe that is located on the bottom side that I can access simply by bending over. Is there a mod that can be done so the Scamp has a single dump valves similar to my Casita? She is to the point that she doesn’t even use the black tanks, too hard to wrangle dumping!
Any suggestions about how to solve this short of selling the Scamp and getting a Casita?
Leej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:01 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I use a 45 deg. Rhino fitting attached to the blackwater tank outlet. I safety wire the fitting to the outlet so it won't separate. This brings the hose connection to the edge of the shell where you can deal with it.
Eddie
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-RhinoFL...lear+connector
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:37 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I have also seen in a local dealers catalog a device that has a hook up to the valve and it has a wire that can actually reach inside the trailer. I will try to locate the item and give the name of it here.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:07 PM   #4

Name: Tony
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Registry
Leej. There are waste valves (which are used to dump the tanks) which are available in an electrically operated model. These install in place of the existing valves but do not require bending over or getting on your hands and knees to operate. With a switch, you merely push the switch to open or close the valve. Very easy to use! Check your local RV parts and service location where they should source and install for your Buddy.
RV Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:21 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Doctor View Post
Leej. There are waste valves (which are used to dump the tanks) which are available in an electrically operated model. ..
I suspect the problem is connecting the hose... In Scamps the black water dump is up under the edge of the shell, and I too find it a PIA to hook up the sewer hose, although I dont have to crawl under the camper, only bend over a long ways or maybe get down on one knee. Once the hose is on, the gate valve is easy to open.

I even got an extension hose fixture but found that the shell was in the way so it would not fit. I do recall some discussion in this forum about combing the gray and black water dumps on a Scamp but if the problem is connecting the hose, then there are ways to modify it, using an elbow, an extension or maybe cutting out some of the shell. If that is the issue then I think that modifying the current setup to make the sewer hose easier to connect is preferable to trying to combine the gray and black water.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Like Eddie I find this 45 degree fitting really helps to reach under my Scamp's black tank. I swivel/rotate it down to dump and back up to travel. I think I paid about $6.00 for it. Its very well made and you can see how clear the tank is if you rinse it after dumping. I pour a gallon jug of clean water down the toilet after dumping and it runs pretty clear after that.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 9.32.55 PM.jpg  
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:22 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Not a solution, but being old myself, and hard or dirty ground being hard on my knees, I use those 2 X 2 foot floor pads to kneel or lay on when working near the ground, such as setting the stabilizer jacks. They are for work places, to stand on, and about the same as the interlocking play pads for kids. I've seen them at Harbor Freight, Ocean State Joblot, and similar stores. I also use them for spacing pads when packing stuff in the truck bed, between bikes and such.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:58 AM   #8

Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
need

rv bill has the right idea but she needs a male friend to get involved maybe she can cook him a good dinner and he will do it for free!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:41 AM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
I use a 45 deg. Rhino fitting attached to the blackwater tank outlet. I safety wire the fitting to the outlet so it won't separate. This brings the hose connection to the edge of the shell where you can deal with it.
Eddie
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-RhinoFL...lear+connector
I'm curious just how this 45 degree elbow would, in any way, address the OP's problem, which is reaching the slide valves to open and close them.

If you aren't comfortable with the prospect of cutting and gluing new sections into your drain lines, (which is actually relatively easy to do,) you can probably find a neighborhood "handyman" who would probably do the job for "cost of parts" and a nice cake or a good meal, like Bob said.

You can cut the existing black and gray water drain lines and extend them outward to a point closer to the edge of the trailer, so that the valve can be situated in a position that doesn't require crawling underneath the trailer to operate the slide valves.

One of these can greatly simplify your drain line remodel by combining both tank drains at one dumping point with a little plumbing reconfiguration.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Sewer/Valterra/T80.html
Casita Greg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:57 AM   #10

Missouri
sort of tacky work

seems like they sort of went the cheap route doesn't it? they should know better but oh well.

bob
Old 02-21-2018, 10:33 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Lots of suggestions but one piece of advice. BE CAREFUL if she decides to try and "combine" the two valves into one. You will have to cross over the axle at one point and will create a possible "drag" point and have the sewer pipe exposed to the road elements!! That will create a bigger problem than the valve if that happens!

I dont like having to get down and do that either. But to me, dealing with connecting/disconnecting the hose is about as aggravating to me as the valve! I can see where Scamp may could have at LEAST got them a little closer to the sides? But, keep one thing in mind. The valves are "tucked" underneath like that to help protect them from both- getting too low to the ground AND sticking out on the side and "hanging" them on something. So I guess it's a trade-off.

One suggestion I heard that sounds pretty neat- electric valves. While I wouldnt care for the extra weight, trouble-spot potential, expense, and labor to attach it, I WOULD like to see one in action.

My suggestion? Get a nice heavy-duty "kneeling" pad and maybe a small walker-like device to aid her getting up again. This would be the cheapest, easiest to deal with. If the valves get "Stuck"? Not THAT can be another issue! Good luck and let us know what you do as it's always possible someone else can use the ideas.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:43 AM   #12

Missouri
yes

I agree darrall I would not want to combine because she could always have the option of the gray water going to an outside tank.

I guess at this point leave it the way it is but I think an extension of some sort on that black valve should be fairly easy to work out.

bob
Old 02-21-2018, 10:45 AM   #13

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Not being a Scamp owner, I wasn't aware that Scamp holding tanks had axle interference. On my Casita, all the tanks are above the axle, and so plumbing them together is easy.
Casita Greg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:48 AM   #14

Missouri
greg

I don't have plumbing in our 13f it did at one time. I am going to pull my front cushion to see where that holding tank was it must have been there and it must have been tiny I don't see how a toilet would possibly work but since a 13f comes with a b/room apparently it does!

be interesting to know I wonder if jon would know!

bob
Old 02-21-2018, 11:34 AM   #15

Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Is it possible to make a tool to open and close the valves, similar to the 5th wheel latch puller. I have one I use for all sorts of things. Kept it after retiring from big truck repair.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:10 PM   #16

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Went to my local dealer and on the shelf they had a valve assembly to replace the one on your plumbing. I comes with a cable that can be mounted on the inside of the trailer and cam be operated, open or closed from there.
It is made by Valterra.
I haven't researched it but you may get more info on this product on line.
Good luck
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:55 PM   #17

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
I'm curious just how this 45 degree elbow would, in any way, address the OP's problem, which is reaching the slide valves to open and close them.
I know that is what she said, but the gate valve in 100 times easier to deal with than connecting a sewer hose on a Scamp's black tank. So I suspect something got lost in translation. It would be helpful if OP could clarify or restate that the valve pull handle is the challenging part. If it is, then perhaps there is something wrong with it, or its installation.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp