Scamp rivet and screw repair/replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2022, 07:18 AM   #1

Name: Matt
Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13
South Carolina
Scamp rivet and screw repair/replacement

Hi,

I am in process of updating a few things on a 1982 Scamp we just purchased. We have taken it out on a couple of weekend trips to state parks and absolutely love it! But one trip we had a good storm and noticed some very small leaks. When we got home I noticed that most of the rivets have been replaced by screws. The problem is that some of the screws do not have any washers and are butted right up against the outer shell. I've tried to read up on as many threads as possible and there is a lot of good info but one thing I am having trouble finding is what kind of washer would be best to use to ensure a water tight seal around the screws. (first three pictures)

We also had some small leaking around the windows so I am going to remove them, use some butyl tape, and re-rivet them back into place. But as the picture below shows the rivets on one window are visible from the inside. Is there any way to make this look a little nicer inside? (last two pictures)

Thanks for any help!

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4108.jpg   IMG_4109.jpg  

IMG_4110.jpg   IMG_4111.jpg  

IMG_4112.jpg  
mrflach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 10:22 AM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
look up snap caps, they seem to be a common item for scamp trailers, Trilliums don't have many penetrations like that
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 04:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Order screw/rivet covers from http://www.pro-dec.com/ or Scamp. When you install them use a bit of silicone to seal things up.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 11:49 AM   #4
GOB

Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp 19
Missouri
Scamp rivet replacement

We replaced every rivet with new DEC caps and stainless machine screws with nyloc nuts. Used a little butyl tape under the bottom cap portion. Use a toothpick to clean up the squeezed out putty and snap on the top cap. 2 people can do the whole trailer in a couple of hours.
GOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 08:02 AM   #5

Name: Matt
Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13
South Carolina
Thank you all!

GOB, did you just use regular nylock nuts?

Has anyone ever used something like this distorted thread acorn nut? I figured this would keep with the other acorn nuts that are in the cabin already.

https://www.mcmaster.com/self-locking-acorn-nuts/
mrflach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 10:34 PM   #6

Name: Don
Trailer: Amerigo
Texas
How did you remove the rivets. I only see the head of the rivet & not the back side. The vent cover is put in with what appears to be rivets, not screws.
Don in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 04:47 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in TX View Post
How did you remove the rivets. I only see the head of the rivet & not the back side. The vent cover is put in with what appears to be rivets, not screws.
Use a drill about the diameter of the round center of the rivet, till the head falls off, then use a small punch and gently push the back side of the rivet in out of the way to install new one. The back side will leave a little pimple under the wall covering inside but hardly noticable.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp