Scamp Rivets and Gun (13er) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #1

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Scamp Rivets and Gun (13er)

Dear Fellow FGRV Friends,
I'm about to invest in a rivet gun and gets some rivets from Scamp (a vast assortment, I guess). I noticed that Scamp only sells aluminum rivets, but I've read quite a few posts about people only using SS (at least, for outer shell applications such as belly band, etc.?)
I've seen quite a few manual rivet guns at Homey D, have heard the Surebonder mentioned in posts, but I guess my questions are:

Would you kindly offer your recommendations for a rivet gun that will handle what seems to be Scamp's most popular size (3/16", various lengths, and the 1/8") based upon what you've found to be good? They seem to run from cheapies (around 8 bucks, to 20 and then around 45)

Should I invest in a gun that handles Stainless Steel well in case I ever need to do rivets outside? I'm assuming that aluminum is ok for almost everything else, as that's what Scamp sells.

Finally, should I just buy a bunch of 20 packs from Scamp in various sizes, or are they cheaper elsewhere?

Thank you for your help when time permits for you. I sincerely appreciate your sage advice and expertise.

Warmly and Sincerely,
CampyTime (Wendy)
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I wouldn't worry too much about rivets. If you go ahead and get a rivet gun almost any will work that allows you to use different sizes. A tapered nose might be helpful, I have both a tapered and a non tapered.

Rivets... I wouldn't even think about SS, it's difficult enough to secure an aluminum rivet, I can't imagine the forces required for an SS.

When I purchased my Scamp they had small package of rivets, acorn nuts, clear backing pieces (those the caps snap onto) and at least 2 sizes of white caps. After 8 years two have been used, and those were used within the first week. (damaged done while on the flat bed truck).
Old 12-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
you might want to check out this thread, I started a list of rivet sizes when doing mine and people have added to it. If you replace something not listed or have to use a different size rivet please add to the list.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ist-52225.html

Any pop rivet tool with 4 interchangeable tips will work, Longer handles make the thicker rivets a little easier to pop because you have more leverage. But the larger head can be harder to get into tight spots. All the rivets are aluminum.

Some have used stainless steel machine screws or bolts to replace rivets. Don't recall of anyone using SS rivets.

I don't think I have used the large diameter rivets or if I did it was only one or two, I ordered a bag of this and a bag of that from Scamp just to be prepared but almost everything has been 3/16 or 1/8 inch.

Steel and aluminum corrode each other in the presence of water. Belly band is aluminum so don't use any type of fastener but aluminum there or on windows if they are aluminum.

Good idea to stick a few layers of masking or duct tape on the side of the rivet tool head to prevent scratching the fiberglass when the rivet "pops" and the tool jerks a bit. Especially on those belly band rivets where the head is right next to the trailer wall.

As pointed out in that thread one can push the shaft out of a pop rivet, cut the tube shorter and re-insert the shaft to fine tune the length. Little longer rivets can be trimmed to fit. Short can't be made longer.

I found a size not available locally or from scamp that I needed on Amazon.

If you call Scamp and order over the phone using the part numbers from the web page they may be able to ship USPS which is a lot cheaper than UPS or FedEx, ordering a few bags of rivets from the web site shipping is brutal.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #4

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Rivet gun

This rivet gun works I have used one like this on a Casita,Airstream and Scamp.
A friend uses a swivel head rivet gun they cost around 40-50 dollars.
Comes in different colors but the gun is the same.
Chuck
Attached Thumbnails
Rivet Gun.jpg  
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Look here for rivet guns:
Search results for: 'rivit gun'
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If you have compressed air available this gun works well especially if you have alot of riviting to do or a person with less hand strength. My girlfriend took this tool from my hands and had a field day replacing 20 rivets and snap caps. I was reduced to the task of assistant.

3/16" Air Hydraulic Riveter

It is on sale now and if you use a 15 to 20% discount which are readily aviable its a bargan.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #7

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
If you have compressed air available this gun works well especially if you have alot of riviting to do or a person with less hand strength. My girlfriend took this tool from my hands and had a field day replacing 20 rivets and snap caps. I was reduced to the task of assistant.

3/16" Air Hydraulic Riveter

It is on sale now and if you use a 15 to 20% discount which are readily aviable its a bargan.

I can recommend this riveter as I have had one for 4 or 5 years.
I replaced every rivet on a 16ft Scamp I had and just finished a complete re rivet job on a 13' Scamp I have.
I've never had a problem with it.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #8

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Thank you so much, to all of you, for the fine advice. Byron, RogerDat and SteveBaz, thank you both very much for the heartfelt and speedy replies as well. I think I fall into the category of limited hand strength...I'm 5 foot 2 and I can't imagine my hands would hold up to much riveting. I may start out practicing with a hand riveter just to get the feel for a couple of little jobs I want to do in spring, then I think I'll look into that riveter at Harbor Freight you mention, although I would need an air compressor, I could probably buy a small one there, too.

You aren't just kidding about the shipping from Scamp! Geesh...I checked on a few bags of rivets online and the shipping came to 17 bucks. I will give them a call instead...I see what you mean about the 3/16 and the 1/8 being their popular sizes. Perhaps they will ship USPS to save me a few bucks.

Chuck...I think your riveter (pictured) is from EBay maybe? I clicked on the link above (rivit guns). Not sure of the name...Marsman or something? My main problem right now is it's freezing here in NY and all I can do is dream of spring when I can get out there and do some work! She's outside with a cover and I can't bear this cold...my hands become inoperational in swift order.

Have a great night everybody! I have to get printer ink to print and save all of your replies for future reference!

CampyTime (Wendy)
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I have at least 3 hand riveters and a good commercial grade air riveter.I did a lot of repair on roofs and side walls of dry van trailers and trucks. Also the tools to do the aircraft type rivets. If you're near me in NY, bring your trailer over and we'll rivet everything you want. I buy my rivets either at my local auto parts store or from McMaster Carr.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #10

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
A good hand riveter from Harbor Freight or Northern Tool is really all you need. Beyond that, I wouldn't go with stainless steel. If you want to increase strength, consider using a backing washer on your rivets, something the trailer manufacturers don't do because it slows production down and increases labor and material costs. A backing washer will make the rivet connections much stronger without making rivet removal (for fixing a rivet leak or moving, removing, or replacing a fixture) a lot easier.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
.I'm 5 foot 2 and I can't imagine my hands would hold up to much riveting. I may start out practicing with a hand riveter just to get the feel for a couple of little jobs I want to do in spring, then I think I'll look into that riveter at Harbor Freight you mention, although I would need an air compressor, I could probably buy a small one there, too.
Wendy, it really doesnt take a lot of strength to use a simple hand riveter such as the one Chuck posted. In my six plus years of Scamp ownership and having replaced a number of rivets as well as replaced or redone most vents etc I have never felt the real need to own an air compressor.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
What is the secret for using a hand riveter? My hands are not large enough to span the handles, so I have to use two hands until I get the handles closer together, which leaves me no hand to steady my material or feed the rivet.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I need two hands as well to get it started but I just keep the gun head/rivet part pressed hard against the trailer while doing it. Seems to work have never had a leak on anything replaced.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I've not done any riveting on the trailer ( a large, more or less immovable object ). I've only used it for things like eaves, a belt, other smaller objects - things you have to hold in position.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I use the "pump" method. It takes 2-3 pumps to set a rivet. My hands are small, I wear a size 6 ring. Just like Carol, I start out using both hands. Go slow!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:32 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
There are 2 handed riveting tools out there. They are a little larger but very easy to use. I like mine and it is similar to this one.

18 in. Long Handled Riveting Tool | Princess Auto

Sandy C.
Sandy Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #17

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
When you squeeze the handle the head grabs and pulls the rivet shaft, when you release the handle you can slide the riveter down on the rivet shaft. So it's not really too much trouble to work the handles closer together with a couple of two handed "small bites".

Just make sure (as I think Carol mentioned) to keep pressing the rivet tight against what your trying to rivet when you are squeezing the handles.

Nothing could beat taking Mary and Bob up on the offer to mentor you through the process. Always easier to develop a new skill working with someone that has been there and done that.

I think it took my wife and myself maybe an hour or hour and a half to replace all our snap caps and rivets so not too big a job, and belly band rivets are smaller as are side vents, water and electric fittings. Those smaller diameter rivets are easier to pop.

You get through doing some remove and replace of rivets with a mentor and you will be ready to roll from there on out with no problem I'm sure.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #18

New York
[QUOTE=RogerDat;434213]

Nothing could beat taking Mary and Bob up on the offer to mentor you through the process. Always easier to develop a new skill working with someone that has been there and done that.

Thank you Roger; I believe the best way to learn something is hands on with someone that knows how. I had a former coworker, who was very knowledgeable, and I would sometimes ask him how to do something. His comment was usually, "I'll tell you, but you drive", meaning he would talk me through it, but I did the work. Better than just watching him do it. My questions usually involved how to do something on the computer, as that is not my strong point. Don't know where Wendy, the original poster is located, NY is a big state, she may be no where near me. When we get home in the spring I may have to help another Uhaul owner with some repairs too, so she can get camping.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #19

New York
Another riveting idea; when I have to drill holes for 3/16" rivets I don't use a 3/16 drill as the rivets can sometimes be hard to insert. I use a slightly larger number drill, #11 or 12, which is a few thousanths oversize, makes it easier.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:15 AM   #20

Name: Sean
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Wisconsin
I`m new into guns. What exactly is a hand riveter? I searched online for some info, but I wasn`t able to find much.
tan2sie17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp