Scamp Roof Support 16' (maybe 13' too) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2017, 09:29 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Scamp Roof Support 16' (maybe 13' too)

Does anyone have this support bar behind or in front of their roof a/c of their 16' Scamp or maybe a 13' or 19' Scamp? This is another users Scamp but I am considering doing the same and was wondering if this is factory?

Old 07-11-2017, 09:47 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I've never seen that on ANY Scamp and it looks "homemade". If I needed to do that, I would have built a simple wood box to go around it covered in ratfur to blend with the ceiling but that's just me.

I feel that possibly your 16' wasnt "prepped" at the factory for air- meaning more reinforcement built into the roof when they're installing a roof-top air unit?? Those units can weigh easily 100 lbs!

One little mystery though, I dont see any "wires" which would mean possibly that it IS a factory installation?? Maybe they felt the ceiling was swagging or saw it bouncing while traveling and wanted to reinforce it.

Last year I had to access my A/C because of a factory defect with the inner fan blade slipping down on the shaft. Mine is a 13 and Dave at Scamp told me NOT to climb on top without support inside or on top. I didnt. I have pics of how I handled it and it worked perfectly from a swinging platform I built.

Maybe someone else can give some insight about your brace. I hope so.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:06 AM   #3

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
I snagged this from a 2014 post from forum member FLOYD.

"On the older Scamps with the thinner top, supports were often added by putting a wooden support fore and aft of the rooftop A/C unit. These "rafters" were sanctioned and occasionally even (I think) installed by Scamp. They were attached using through the hull screw fasteners. Sorry, my archives don't contain any pictures of them."

What year is the Scamp? That might tell you if this is a home made solution or a factory solution. In 81 they were still installing in the lower section of cabinet above the wheel well, curb side.
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:09 AM   #4

Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I've never seen that on ANY Scamp and it looks "homemade". If I needed to do that, I would have built a simple wood box to go around it covered in ratfur to blend with the ceiling but that's just me.

I feel that possibly your 16' wasnt "prepped" at the factory for air- meaning more reinforcement built into the roof when they're installing a roof-top air unit?? Those units can weigh easily 100 lbs!

One little mystery though, I dont see any "wires" which would mean possibly that it IS a factory installation?? Maybe they felt the ceiling was swagging or saw it bouncing while traveling and wanted to reinforce it.

Last year I had to access my A/C because of a factory defect with the inner fan blade slipping down on the shaft. Mine is a 13 and Dave at Scamp told me NOT to climb on top without support inside or on top. I didnt. I have pics of how I handled it and it worked perfectly from a swinging platform I built.

Maybe someone else can give some insight about your brace. I hope so.
Darral I haven't seen it on any other Scamp either but I haven't seen them all and very few 80's models. This one isn't mine but a photo of one I came across on here. I have a 13' Boler that I am considering putting a roof a/c back on which I took off (put on by previous owner). He put plywood on top and drilled/screwed it to the roof randomly but the plywood rotted and the a/c sagged the roof. I have since fixed all that but have still been thinking of ways to support the roof so I could put it back up there. We have a 5000 btu unit I installed and it cools good at night but in the summer especially with no shade it gets 80+ during the day. Planning trips in the future to the Grand Canyon and the Keys and would really like to put that a/c back on as it is 10000 BTU and should cool fine even during the hottest part of the day. I am emailing Kent Eveland to see what he says about it too. I had the same thoughts about it possibly being factory with no wires showing.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:13 AM   #5

Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeair2me View Post
I snagged this from a 2014 post from forum member FLOYD.

"On the older Scamps with the thinner top, supports were often added by putting a wooden support fore and aft of the rooftop A/C unit. These "rafters" were sanctioned and occasionally even (I think) installed by Scamp. They were attached using through the hull screw fasteners. Sorry, my archives don't contain any pictures of them."

What year is the Scamp? That might tell you if this is a home made solution or a factory solution. In 81 they were still installing in the lower section of cabinet above the wheel well, curb side.
Thanks! The one picture is 1987 I believe.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:10 PM   #6
GOB

Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp 19
Missouri
Scamp roof support

I have a "99" 19 foot Scamp with factory AC. It has 1 wood support to the rear of the AC. Before we bought, checked with Scamp about adding AC to a trailer and they said we would have had bring the trailer to them so they could add the support and wiring. We found one with AC already installed instead.
GOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:13 PM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Shade canopies

I am under the impression that owners have successfully used shade canopies flown above their trailers, to passively keep their fiberglass eggs from frying in the sun. That would seem to be a good way to either use A/C less, reduce the cooling load, or get by without A/C. A web search will help you locate the right height & size.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:49 PM   #8

Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOB View Post
I have a "99" 19 foot Scamp with factory AC. It has 1 wood support to the rear of the AC. Before we bought, checked with Scamp about adding AC to a trailer and they said we would have had bring the trailer to them so they could add the support and wiring. We found one with AC already installed instead.
Could you post a picture of the support?
Old 07-11-2017, 12:52 PM   #9

Deep South
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
I am under the impression that owners have successfully used shade canopies flown above their trailers, to passively keep their fiberglass eggs from frying in the sun. That would seem to be a good way to either use A/C less, reduce the cooling load, or get by without A/C. A web search will help you locate the right height & size.
Yes we have thought of a canopy to help but most of the ones we have seen just were not right for us for one reason or another, mostly related to height or weight/size when stored for towing.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:08 PM   #10

Missouri
Registry
There is a sale thread with a '95 Casita with the similar type of roof support shown.
Attached Thumbnails
support.jpg  
Old 07-11-2017, 02:55 PM   #11

Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeair2me View Post
There is a sale thread with a '95 Casita with the similar type of roof support shown.
With the welded side brackets that definitely looks like it would be supportive enough! But I would have to do something to it to make it less of an eye sore...
Old 07-11-2017, 02:59 PM   #12
GOB

Missouri
Pic's of support

Can't get pic's to load.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:06 PM   #13

Missouri
Registry
Johnny, that Casita is listed by forum member snowman3684. You might inquire of him if he bought it like that or had the support made.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:20 PM   #14

Deep South
Quote:
Can't get pic's to load.
Are you doing it from your phone? That may be this issue, not sure?
Old 07-11-2017, 03:27 PM   #15
GOB

Missouri
Camera to PC.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:26 PM   #16

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
With the welded side brackets that definitely looks like it would be supportive enough! But I would have to do something to it to make it less of an eye sore... JohnnyM

A suggestion: paint it to match the ceiling or a contrasting color to go with your choice of décor.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:39 PM   #17

Missouri
Registry
... And use it as a light bar to attach strip LED lights.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:24 PM   #18

Deep South
Quote:
Camera to PC.
If I PM you my email address can you email it to me?
Old 07-12-2017, 06:14 AM   #19
GOB

Missouri
Sure, PM me and I"ll send them. Maybe you can load them.

Tags
scamp