Scamp Snap Cap Washers? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-24-2016, 11:58 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Bill Nolen's Avatar
 
Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Posts: 629
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
One of those real advantages is that you'll never ever again replace a deteriorated snap cap. Every rivet you replace with a machine screw and washer, (sans snap caps,) will be good to go forever after. And, it will also provide a much stronger bond between joined components. The myth going around about rivets breaking before there is damage to the fiberglass is all just a bunch of crap. There are two reasons that trailer manufacturers use rivets instead of stainless bolts: 1.) Expediency of installation, and 2.) reduced cost per fastener. The sales reps of all the fiberglass trailer manufacturers try to BS people into believing that they use rivets to prevent damage to the fiberglass. Well, if that were true, then why has the boat building industry, using s/s screws and nuts for over 60 years, not used rivets instead? It's because screws are stronger than rivets, and you can't tell me that any fiberglass trailer will ever see the kind of shock force and pounding abuse that a fiberglass boat sees. Total BS argument.
Greg, based upon my experience with restoring my old Scamp, I have grown to very much dislike having to replace old leaking rivets!

So where ever possible I most likely will be replacing old rivets with machine screws/nuts or bolts/nuts. Not all, but most!

Thanks for your comments,

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:15 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
CampyTime's Avatar
 
Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Posts: 1,070
Registry
Dear Casita Gregg and TimberWolf,

Been reading your info with interest. I'm wondering if you could either show me a pic or a link to the:

SS bonded rubber washers
SS escutcheon ring washers.

Hope I wrote that right. Appreciate your forthrightness.

Wendy


Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:46 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Timber Wolf's Avatar
 
Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Posts: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Dear Casita Gregg and TimberWolf,

Been reading your info with interest. I'm wondering if you could either show me a pic or a link to the:

SS bonded rubber washers
SS escutcheon ring washers.

Hope I wrote that right. Appreciate your forthrightness.

Wendy
Your command is my wish: https://www.boltdepot.com/Bonded_sea...teel_18-8.aspx

I don't know about the escutcheon washers, did not investigate them as I did the bonded washers before deciding to go with rivets.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:28 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Paul O.'s Avatar
 
Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Colorado
Posts: 1,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
..... I guess I should say "formal friend" because I am no longer able to contact him or his wife!....
Did you actually mean "formal friend" or did that darn auto-complete or spell checker bite you in the behind?
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:45 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Posts: 1,714
Registry
And from the same site that Timberwolf posted for you, these are the stainless steel escutcheon rings for use with the oval headed screws, aka "decorative rings" which I mentioned. If you choose the other ones, with the bonded sealing washers, please remember that in either case, you will still need to seal the holes with a good grade of sealant. I would recommend 3M 4200, or an equivalent marine grade sealant. Please do not use "caulking" as your sealant of choice. And additionally, although some do use it, I would personally avoid silicone sealants as well, as they break down over time. Please don't just apply the sealant around the edges of the holes. Put a dab right in the hole to be sure that you get a good water-tight seal and bond around the fasteners. Just wipe off the excess once the nuts and bolts are tightened before it sets up.

https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-De...x?product=2941
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:56 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Bill Nolen's Avatar
 
Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Posts: 629
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Did you actually mean "formal friend" or did that darn auto-complete or spell checker bite you in the behind?
Ha! I'm afraid it's a sign of my poor spelling ability , but, also my lack of proofreading skills!

However, I'm quite happy accepting that it's Spell-Check's fault!

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:06 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Bill Nolen's Avatar
 
Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Posts: 629
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
And from the same site that Timberwolf posted for you, these are the stainless steel escutcheon rings for use with the oval headed screws, aka "decorative rings" which I mentioned. If you choose the other ones, with the bonded sealing washers, please remember that in either case, you will still need to seal the holes with a good grade of sealant. I would recommend 3M 4200, or an equivalent marine grade sealant....
3M also makes a 3M 5200 sealer which should NEVER be used unless you want a permanent bond, as 3M 5200 is very, very, difficult to remove once it cures.

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:57 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Posts: 1,714
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
3M also makes a 3M 5200 sealer which should NEVER be used unless you want a permanent bond, as 3M 5200 is very, very, difficult to remove once it cures.

Bill
I agree. In addition to my many "retirement hobbies," I used to do a lot of work on boats as well, and 3M 5200 is a very good sealant, but it is also very permanent. Whatever you use it on will definitely be permanently bonded together. I have literally ripped wood and fiberglass apart trying to separate things bonded with 5200. If it is something that you never ever want to take apart again, it's the best. But that is why I recommended 3M 4200, which does an excellent job of bonding, but will allow things to be taken apart again if need be, although it will still require a bit of effort as well.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:22 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 1,697
Here's a pic snapped right off of my 2010 Scamp 13'. There WERE two different sizes used. I hate how Scamp does/did this installing CURTAIN rods with outside rivets but it's done. And this is where the small snap caps come in. Now...after I run out of the small ones, I guess I will have to order them else where.....the caps deteriorate and need replacing but not necessarily the washer....grrr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
Darral, I wonder why the Scamp Parts Guy told me otherwise?

Maybe he didn't understand my question?

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp Snap-Caps.jpg  
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:40 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Posts: 11,756
Registry
The good news is the smaller caps and washers to go with them can be purchased at pretty well most hardware stores. Just make sure you buy the washers at the same time as all caps and washers do not play well together even though they appear to be in all ways the same. Found that some cap brands do not snap down tight to the trailers surface when you use them with a different brand/make of washer.

The other good news is the some of the caps sold in hardware stores have a much shiner smoother surface than the ones Scamp sells. As such I have found they do not seem to deteriorate as fast as the one scamp uses - they stay looking nice and clean and shiny much longer. In the photo above it appears that perhaps the larger cap has been replaced with the shiner smoother surface cap? and the two smaller ones are the original Scamp ones? I ask as it looks to be the case due to the appearance of them.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:07 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 1,697
Good catch there Carolyn. But no, those are ALL the same age. But you're right about the larger one. I tried to wipe off the small ones (before taking the photo) and they are what they are looks-wise. The larger one still looks brand new and obviously they have all been exposed to the identical elements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
..............
The other good news is the some of the caps sold in hardware stores have a much shiner smoother surface than the ones Scamp sells. As such I have found they do not seem to deteriorate as fast as the one scamp uses - they stay looking nice and clean and shiny much longer. In the photo above it appears that perhaps the larger cap has been replaced with the shiner smoother surface cap? and the two smaller ones are the original Scamp ones? I ask as it looks to be the case due to the appearance of them.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:14 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Posts: 11,756
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Good catch there Carolyn. But no, those are ALL the same age. But you're right about the larger one. I tried to wipe off the small ones (before taking the photo) and they are what they are looks-wise. The larger one still looks brand new and obviously they have all been exposed to the identical elements.
Darral as yours is a 2010 it looks like perhaps Scamp had already started to make a change to the nice shiny caps that are easier to clean for at least the big ones they did. On my 92 version the were all the hard to clean ones that deteriorated in the sun.

A little bit of 3M Restore and Wax on a cloth will help buff the little ones up a bit for awhile.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
scamp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where can I get some Scamp plastic washers? (cheap) Timber Wolf Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 3 06-20-2014 01:15 PM
rivets, caps, washers and acorn nuts beardrum Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 30 09-12-2013 09:48 AM
Compact replacement washers for pop-top SouthwestOregon201 Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 1 04-11-2013 10:51 AM
Snap cap/Button cap question Kevin K Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 5 06-19-2012 11:50 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.