Scamp Spare Tire: mounting - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2024, 04:57 PM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee '79
Newfoundland
Scamp Spare Tire: mounting

Hi.

I'm looking for constructive feedback on re-mounting the spare tire on our 2010 16' Deluxe.

When I removed our spare for tire rotation and Gelcoat maintenance, I noticed small writing from the sidewall of the tire had etched into the Gelcoat. Taking the tire off (my first time; 2nd owner), I noticed it was super snug against the body. So much so that I couldn't get a tire cover to seat behind the tire properly.

Re-mounting the tire, I took a chance and mounted it away from the body. However, shaking it, imitating a bumpy boondock road, the bottom of the tire looks like it will hit against the trailer.

What to do? Does the tire need to be snug against body of the trailer? Or is it better to keep it proud of trailer.

I would dearly appreciate constructive opinions and your experience.

Thank you in Advance.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4607.jpg   IMG_4606.jpg  

Terranovafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 11:36 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You want it snug against the fiberglass for exactly the reason you’ve identified.. If you can find a large enough scrap of thin, flat plastic, you could cut a piece to go between the tire and shell.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 03:54 AM   #3

Newfoundland
Jon. Thank you kindly for your reply.
My "Spidy Senses" did a DickTracey ("Hold Everything!") - I'll reposition today. Snug just makes more sense. Surfing old posts in the forum last eve I managed to find this post that is strikingly similar, pics included. In case someone else asks the question, I hope this helps. Rationale for removing the tire was 3-fold: Tire Rotation; Gelcoat Maintenance; and painting the frame with Rust Converter & Rust paint.

Happy Camping!

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...sue-87022.html
Old 06-21-2024, 05:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Some people have stuck a few of those "half moon" adhesive rubber cushion pads behind the spare to prevent the abrasion of the gel coat, I opted to remove the spare from the back of the trailer completely.

I removed the spare and now carry it in a bracket I welded up from some scrap ends around the garage from other projects. I now carry my spare in the bed of the pickup, and my welded-on frame hitch on the back of the trailer now carries my Stow-Away storage box.
Attached Thumbnails
113.JPG   112.JPG  

20190531_102316.jpg   ReceiverHitch2.JPG  

ReceiverTubeandCrossmember2.JPG  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 06:51 PM   #5

Newfoundland
Greg. Thanks for your reply. Great suggestions. Our TV is a 2024 Ascent. No option to move the tire inside. However, I do like the idea of the adhesive cushion pads. Something I’ll have to look into.

Cheers. — We’re on the road for 3 weeks in the morning! Can’t wait!!
Old 06-21-2024, 06:52 PM   #6

Newfoundland
Greg. Thanks for your reply. Great suggestions. Our TV is a 2024 Ascent. No option to move the tire inside. However, I do like the idea of the adhesive cushion pads. Something Iíll have to look into.

Cheers. ó Weíre on the road for 3 weeks in the morning! Canít wait!!
Old 06-26-2024, 12:03 PM   #7
NOD

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13'
California
I had the same concern when I restored my 1977 Scamp 13í. The tire is basically bolted to the fiberglass with a piece of plywood on the inside for some reinforcement. The gel coat had cracked around both mounting holes over the years, with some crazing all the way into the glass mat.
I built a cross member under the trailer that connects to the frame rails, with a shaped square bar welded to it running up the back of the trailer. The wheel mount is welded to that, and the two original bolts just hold the bar stable. They arenít taking any of the shear loading like before. Itís strong, doesnít move at all (even with my bike mounted behind the tire).
NOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 05:05 PM   #8

Newfoundland
Love it. Great idea.

Tags
scamp