Scamp Trailer Crank Wheel/No Wheel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2008, 08:45 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hello,
I am considering Scamp 13'. In photos on this site (it is not clear to me on Scamp's site), it appears that there is no wheel on the trailer crank to facilitate moving trailer by hand. Does anyone know?
Also, does the crank body rotate to a horizontal position so as to be out of the way and gain ground clearance while rolling?
Mitchell
Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:54 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Quote:
Hello,
I am considering Scamp 13'. In photos on this site (it is not clear to me on Scamp's site), it appears that there is no wheel on the trailer crank to facilitate moving trailer by hand. Does anyone know?
Also, does the crank body rotate to a horizontal position so as to be out of the way and gain ground clearance while rolling?
Mitchell
wheel on the crank would also make it easy to have your trailer roll away down a hill. I dont think the small eggs had a wheel there for this reason. Others will chime in and straighten us out though.

as to ground clearance... yes they either fold up or crank up high for ground clearance while "towing". Centered leg mounted between the "V" of the tow tounge behind the hitch typically are the crank up high type; if my memory serves me correct. The ones mounted on the outside of a trailers tow tounge are typically the fold up kind. This goes for most trailers of any bumper pull kind.
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Hello,
Don't know whether they come with one, but I wouldn't worry too much. The hitch weight on a 13' is fairly light; there are a lot of people here who like their 13' trailers because they can pick the tongue up and muscle their trailers around.

Correctly loaded for towing the trailer should have 150-250 lbs or so on the tongue; if you plan your packing well and put the gear you unload as soon as you arrive -- setup gear, firewood, chairs, tables and so on -- in the very front of the trailer you can quickly get your tongue weight under 100lbs. Then, with some careful lifting (use your legs, not your back to lift) you can pick the front of the trailer up and get her up straight in your camping slot.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:24 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Or do your back a real favor and get one of those trailer dollies that leverage the front end and let you easily push-pull the trailer around.

The Scamp 13 has the side mounted jack and the 16 has the inside-frame mounted jack.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:08 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
The Scamp 13 has the side mounted jack and the 16 has the inside-frame mounted jack.
Depending on the age of the trailer... my 16 footer has a side-mounted, swing up jack right from the manufacturer.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:40 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
My 16' Scamp also has an outside mount with wheel. I weigh less than the front end of the trailer even when its empty so the wheel makes it very easy for me to move the trailer over an inch or two on my own when I do not get the tow hitch lined up just right. No need to keep getting in and out of the tow to see if I am right on the hitch or not. I put a block on the wheel when parked on a sloop - have never had it roll on its own.

Carol
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:36 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thank you all for your input on this question.
I talked to Scamp and Casita this morning about 13' details pre-purchase considerations.
Casita told me that the windows will not keep out water when raining and should be closed and no screen door will work properly. True interior height is 5'10 and the wires are there for a microwave, but smaller than the one they install in the larger trailer.
Scamp told me they can do crank windows which will keep out rain, but the salesperson rushed me off the phone and I can't give my money to someone who has no time for me.
So, I will continue to look for a used fiberglass trailer here on this site.
Thanks again; I really appreciate your help with my questions.
Mitchell
Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp