scamp vs casita vs other 13-17 ft - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2015, 02:53 PM   #1

Name: denny
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 16 layout 3
Michigan
scamp vs casita vs other 13-17 ft

After tenting from birth to retirement wife would like a trailer. Definitely settled on a fiberglass pulled by a 3.6L 283HP V6 new Dodge minivan with tow capacity 3500. Wife says portapotty would be sufficient for us tho open to a toilet (tho hate the space it occupies and would never use shower). Would greatly appreciate opinions regarding quality, features, preferences, etc. etc. to help me decide on one. Thanks!
denny w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Add the Escape 17 to your list - don't forget to take into account what they include as standard equipment vs optional on other brands such as Scamp and Casita and the current US Exchange rate.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:42 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi Denny, I would steer clear of the Casita 17s because of the higher hitch/overall weight of the 16s. Same layouts just a foot shorter. I have the SD17 and to be honest I doubt that that missing foot makes any real difference. I do like the flat door of the 17s though.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I would gladly go without the kitchen before giving up the shower.
If you would never use a shower, then consider solar to charge your battery, since boondocking may be your best choice.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:35 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Are you looking at new or used?

Agree that Casita 17 is probably out- typically weighs a bit under 3500 pounds loaded, but carries about 425 pounds on the hitch, which is probably too much for your minivan.

Among 16'ers, Scamp vs Casita comes down to layout preference. Scamp is a bit better insulated (not sure I believe their claim of R15, though) and has more headroom. Casita has a twin/king bed layout that Scamp doesn't offer and you can order it without the bathroom if that's your preference. The Scamp side bath doesn't give up too much space and can be set up as a full wet bath, toilet only, porta-potty closet, or left out altogether. Scamp deluxe versions have a wider bed.

Also agree that an Escape 17 is worth considering. Very roomy and lighter than a Casita, but a long wait right now for new and very few used.

A Trillium 4500 (15') might be worth considering, if you are open to an older trailer. No bath, but has a larger bed. You might have to extend your search into Canada for that, but importing a vintage unit is fairly straightforward, and the exchange rate makes your $US go farther.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:10 AM   #6

Name: Deb
Trailer: Casita SD-17
Chicago, Illinois
Registry
Thumbs up RE: Scamp Vs Casita Vs Other 13-17 Ft

I tent camped for 30 years. Had an Aliner for 6 years and have now owned a Casita SD-17 for 2 months. I too said I would not use my shower (too much cleaning involved) but have found that I love having it. A public bathroom will never be as clean as your own bathroom. Now I can take a shower without wearing flip flops.
DebCost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:35 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I can tell you that if my shower/bath were to go in my Scamp? So would my wife! Deb made a SUPER point... that a public facility will NEVER be as clean as your own. The clean up in the end is nothing compared to some of the dumpy bathroom/showers we've been in while camping. Some are not a/c'ed and bugs everywhere etc.

The worst I've been in was in McFarland Park campground in Florence, Al. It was SO bad, that I called complaining to the mayor, and anyone else that would listen. The commode seats were even flaking! Bars of soap stacked up in the shower trays from no-telling how long ago!! Wife nearly gagged. Not good....and if we had not had our own BR, we'd left. As a side note, from my calls...they took action, cleaned and PAINTED the bathrooms. We were down there in the Spring and they're 100% better.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:07 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
The shower/toilet debate goes on. I think it depends on you level of camping, where you want to go and if you're an avid tent camper you might not want the additional expense and maintenance of either a shower or toilet. All toilets will leak at some point.

I too came from tent camping into the trailer world. My camping had been backpacking or backpacking style. Meaning no matter where we camped everything was in the backpacks.

10 years ago I bought a brand new Scamp 13. No toilet, No Ac, No shower, No hot water heater. For the first 5 years of Scamp ownership we averaged around 50 nights a hear. The last 5 years we're averaging close to 130 nights per year. I guessing the Scamp has over 50,000 miles of travel. This little 13' Scamp and us are extremely suited for each other.

What would I change. Anything that requires 120 Volt AC would be gone. In my case that would converter and one light fixture.
What did I change. All lights to LED, including add two LED light fixtures, and the battery to a Trojan true deep cycle 100 amp hour.

I purchased a 65 Watt Solar panel and made a stand for it.

Here's an example of how that all worked. Last winter we spent 90 days in the SW, never hooked up to any utilities.

Since the trailer is small it can go anyplace and is easy to park.

You may have different requirements than we do. However, we're very happy with our little 13' Scamp.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:21 AM   #9

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hi, floyd?
Did you mean boondocking would be best because they don't shower? A joke, right? Don't know if we'd use a shower in the rig either, but would use campground showers. Though...maybe not often enough we we'll have to boondock, too. Good idea to get a solar battery charger in any case, seems.
Kai in Seattle

Wait--have read more posts below Floyd's first, and suddenly agree that the public showers might not be the best idea. Will give this a good think!
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:23 AM   #10

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Darral T., good for both of you! That's taking intelligent and helpful action! So glad someone listened and took care of it!
Kai in Seattle (who may camp there someday, and will be thankful you cared!)
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:03 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Rare bird popped up on the Escape forum - a 15B used only one season (picked up in May 2015) that won't last long:

For Sale FOR SALE - 2014 Esacpe 15B Trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:24 PM   #12

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
Think about undercarriage height before you buy...I have a 2005 13 ft Scamp...and cringe everytime I go into pothole country because my water filter on left front under the floor is so low to the ground, it's the first to go, then off come the handles on the black and grey water release valves...even lost a grey water cover. Unfortunately this model cannot be raised. I now haul a "parts store", but love my Scamp.
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:35 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Hi, floyd?
Did you mean boondocking would be best because they don't shower? A joke, right? Don't know if we'd use a shower in the rig either, but would use campground showers. Though...maybe not often enough we we'll have to boondock, too. Good idea to get a solar battery charger in any case, seems.
Kai in Seattle

Wait--have read more posts below Floyd's first, and suddenly agree that the public showers might not be the best idea. Will give this a good think!
It was a joke of course, I'm sure they will provide for personal hygiene with or without an onboard shower.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:47 PM   #14

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
Think about undercarriage height before you buy...I have a 2005 13 ft Scamp...and cringe everytime I go into pothole country because my water filter on left front under the floor is so low to the ground, it's the first to go, then off come the handles on the black and grey water release valves...even lost a grey water cover. Unfortunately this model cannot be raised. I now haul a "parts store", but love my Scamp.
That's another reason I'm not thrilled about the front bathroom on a low-profile 13' trailer. But it can be raised, if it really hampers your style. A new axle with a different arm angle would solve your problem.

However, if I were ordering new and wanted a bathroom, I personally would want a larger 16'er. It is built from the factory with a raised suspension.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:12 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
I placed a simple skid bar under my 2004 Scamp13 and relocated the pump into the left front raised portion. This has worked perfectly for eleven years and protected the plumbing over 70,000 miles. As you know by now, it is better to watch your driving habits,( especially at driveways) than it is to do all that cringing!
I have not raised mine, but of course your model can be raised. there are several simple methods..

1] square tubing between the frame and axle (just like they do on the fiver.

2] Replace the axle with one identical to what you have except get a ZERO or 22 down instead of a 22 degree up angle. That way you can keep your present brakes and save money.

3] you could order a 3500# axle with shortened rubber to reduce the capacity to what you want (I suggest 2500#)
Attached Thumbnails
sp5.JPG  
Old 09-25-2015, 02:24 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
That's another reason I'm not thrilled about the front bathroom on a low-profile 13' trailer. But it can be raised, if it really hampers your style. A new axle with a different arm angle would solve your problem.

However, if I were ordering new and wanted a bathroom, I personally would want a larger 16'er. It is built from the factory with a raised suspension.
So get your 13 factory raised, by axle or frame.
The sixteen doesn't come with a raised suspension it simply comes with a 3500# axle instead of a 2200#.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:02 PM   #17

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
So get your 13 factory raised, by axle or frame.
The sixteen doesn't come with a raised suspension it simply comes with a 3500# axle instead of a 2200#.
Will the factory do that in a new build? I've read a number of complaints, here and elsewhere, about plumbing parts getting knocked off, and that's in normal campground use, not backcountry travel. The fact that you felt a need to change the factory set-up and add protection tells me that the design is at least vulnerable.

The 16' model sits higher off the ground than the 13' model. That's really all I meant by "raised." Stock wheels and tires are identical, so the difference is the axle. Isn't it built with a down angle, rather than the up angle on the 13' model (in addition to having a larger weight capacity)?
Old 09-25-2015, 03:59 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Will the factory do that in a new build? I've read a number of complaints, here and elsewhere, about plumbing parts getting knocked off, and that's in normal campground use, not backcountry travel. The fact that you felt a need to change the factory set-up and add protection tells me that the design is at least vulnerable.

The 16' model sits higher off the ground than the 13' model. That's really all I meant by "raised." Stock wheels and tires are identical, so the difference is the axle. Isn't it built with a down angle, rather than the up angle on the 13' model (in addition to having a larger weight capacity)?
I have found them to be very cooperative when I have had a request. They do change the ride height on the fiver on request, and it would be the same procedure or even simpler to do a 13, depending on the method which I discussed in post #15.

It doesn't take an outright defect to get me to change the factory set-up on anything, I have often made significant changes to brand new cars on the day I got them home. I have seven bicycles only one of which is unmodified.

I do think that the 13 has undergone changes in equipment over the years which would justify changing the axle angle. I'm working on it.

It took a while to get the change of door gasket which I changed on mine before our first outing in 2004.

I still would recommend the use of a skid device and the relocation of the front pump, even if the ride height was raised. I would not like to see the character of the 13 changed by too much increase and I feel as if a ZERO is the right change.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:25 PM   #19

Arizona
Registry
I agree, Floyd. Zero degrees would be about right. I'll sign that petition..
Old 09-26-2015, 04:55 PM   #20

Name: Arnold
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
California
Hello Denny,
We have ownd a Casita FD 17 for 24 days now. Over 4000 miles and 23 nights in the trailer already. The Casita tows very nice. We tow with a 2014 Nissan Frontier with a V-6. We love it but we are taking it back to the factory to get rid of the swivel chairs, they take up way to much room. I think you will be happy which ever one you choose with the right research. Good luck and see you on the road.
Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp